From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:19 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1368 517TH PRCT- JULY 19, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I try to limit the size of Mail Call to four printed pages for various reasons.

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 Details in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

1993 517th Reunion Booklet - Niagara Falls, NY

1991 517th Reunion Booklet - Sparks, NV

517 PRCT Association  Officers

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

Michou Yenokida  ( Daughter of Gene Mars )

Hi Ben

My brother sends your mail calls to him on a weekly basis.  But I did print out the pictures/ article about Bill Boyle and sent them to him....because I think they roomed together on one of the reunion trips to France, when my Mom did not attend w/ him.  I remember great stories about them rooming together!!!  I did print out the messages I rec'd from you and others a few months ago and took them up to him also.

I talk to him regularly and try to go up to San Jose to have dinner w/ him when I can.  He walks early in the morning, rain or shine and goes to the bowling alley daily.  He collects the money from the league bowlers for the manager .  While he has lost weight and is pretty lean, he is quite healthy....still smoking!  He goes to the cemetery on a regular basis because he misses my Mom...and takes flowers he "borrows" from the neighbors to place at her graveside.  He shops for sales!  and cooks for himself.  My Mom would be surprised...but very happy that he is taking care of himself.

Thank you so much for asking.  I hope you are well.  Take care.

Michou

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  Kent's photos of his uncle Floyd Stott almost brought him back to life for me.  I just lost a message identifying who and what I could and then lost it, so I may take one item at a time.

FIRST PICTURE:  Left to right:  Jim Birder, then executive officer of I Co., later commanding it; killed at Bergstein when he sat on a shu mine while trying to get some of his men out of the mine fields.  Erv Pinkston, G Co. platoon leader.  Floyd Stott with the football, I Co. platoon leader.  Bob McMahon, executive officer 3rd Bn.  Marty Fastia commanding I Co. who flamed out near Ridge X and Col de Braus.  Undoubtedly taken at Mackall east of the officer's mess.  After duty and before dinner we played touch football there.  They were hard fought games, but if you wanted to eat, Mel Zais' team had to be ahead at the end.  Some games lasted quite a while but I don't think anyone missed a meal.

THREE:  This is at the officer's club at Frascatti, Italy.  Erv Pinkston found and liberated a several storied, elegant house owned by  one of Musolini's henchmen.  For his labors, Erv was made club officer and prepared a gala club opening while the rest of us trained in that hot Italian sun preparing for the jump into S. France.  When the dehydrated troopers rolled out the barrels of cold beer, no one could find the barrel spigots to release the contents.  Erv had sampled the other liquid refreshments to the extent that he could not be wakened.  The next day Erv was out in the field with us, big head and all.

SIX THROUGH EIGHT:  All these are from our 3rd Bn. bivouac area, Fracscatti, Italy.  Mel Zais could not bear to have his 3rd Bn. unwashed and rigged up showers which Floyd is using in the last one.

NINE:  O'Club, Frascatti.

TEN;  Floyd Stott taken around the Sospel, Col de Braus area.

ELEVEN:  I am sure this is the Negresco Hotel in Nice, where we got 24 hours out of combat for an overnight stay and a bath.   It was a wonder what the chef could do with our five and ten in one rations along with some fresh French vegetables etc.  Nancy, my daughter, who has visited Nice recently, says the Negresco is still THE hotel in Nice.  She did not pony up the price to stay there.

TWELVE:  Yes,  This is Southern France, near Sospel.   If you had to fight a war, this picturesque place wasn't a bad place to fight it.  It was easier to defend those mountains than to take them.  We took them all the way to the Italian border.

Thanks Kent for your tribute to a great Iowa boy who deserves it.

Highest Regards to all the troopers,  Howard Hensleigh

1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)

Jo Anne Roberts Gray ( Hal's daughter )

Hi Ben,
I wrote you last week wanting to receive Mail Call but don't seem to
be getting it.  Can you check.
Jo Anne Roberts Gray
gigharborjo@comcast.net    Oops, you will now. - Ben

Virginia Jorgen

To Heather Riley

Thank you for turning in my eyeglasses.    I called the hotel and they sent them to me.  I appreciate that very much.

Virginia Jorgen

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Jean-Loup Gassend:  There was a third battalion man whose name I think was Riddle who fired a rifle grenade at a German riding at him on a motorcycle during the first few days after the jump, just a day or two.  It occurred after we had hiked the 30 kilometers from where we landed around Calliian back to the intended drop zone area.  I think Riddle was from G Co.  The grenade hit the German, not the motorcycle and did not explode.  The fins of the grenade were sticking out of the German and I remember looking at pictures of it.  The reason the grenade did not explode was that Riddle forgot to pull the pin.  Back at Mackall, Reed ("Stinky") Terrell and I were charged with teaching the men in the Bn. how to fire the grenade from the end of the M-1.  I felt we had failed to get across the important step of pulling the pin, but like many things the 517th did, it all worked out for the best.  The grenade killed the rider and did not damage the motorcycle, which Riddle rode for a few days before some officer took it away from him.  There may have been another similar incident involving another company, but I remember this one very clearly.

Highest regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Bob Barrett
Dad,
Jean-Loup's message talks about a photo, but you did not include the photo.

Bob
Here it is!