From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:34 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1374 517TH PRCT- JULY 24, 2007
 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Last Mail Call should have numbered 1373, but whose counting?

I try to limit the size of Mail Call to four printed pages for various reasons.

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 Details in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Madawaska Victory passenger lists    NEW
Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

517 PRCT Association  Officers

Darrell Egner

Hi Ben

Thanks for sharing in my problems getting to hear the VP's speech.  Had a great E-mail from Bob suggesting how I can fix the problem.  THANKS BOB  As it's close to toddy time I will try the fix tomorrow and let you know.

Your idea about a column in the Static Line is great.  I dropped my subscription years ago as the 517 got very little ink.  As I remember Tom Cross did a good job feeding information to the Static Line.  If you have an E-mail address for Don Lassen (sp) please let me have it.

As the money for the second printing of Paratroopers Odyssey probably came out of our treasury the checks should be sent to Leo Dean and can be ordered from you, Donna Hilliard or myself.  Donna has a supply already boxed for mailing.  Between Donna, Claire and myself we probably have at least 100 books left.

Your Rain remark was truer then you think.  It doesn't rain much here in Jacksonville so my DSL works most of the time.  hahaha

Keep up the good work Mr. Co-Chairman of the 2008 Reunion in St. Louis.

Darrell Egner
 Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

How are you doing?  You sure have been busy with mail call.

Could you please put my sister Bev on Mail Call.  She is going to help me with the 08 reunion and I want her to see what is going on.

strothkamp@charter.net
Bev Strothkamp

Thanks Ben.

Chris
Dawn Eckert

Dear Ben,

I am Al Eckart’s daughter. I would like to know if you could add me to the mail call list.  dseckart@comcast.net . Also, I’m trying to find the web address for the reunions. If you have it could you please forward it to me.

Thank you,  Dawn Eckart

Lory Curtis

Ben,
Thanks to Steve Markle for video tapping VP Cheney's remarks.  They were wonderful and reminded me of the great time I had at the reunion.  Will you please ask Steve how I could get a DVD copy for my Dad.  He doesn't have a computer, but does know how to work the DVD play
er, I think?  Let me know what the cost is.  lcurtis@utah.gov.
Thanks Steve

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Ray Hess

Good Morning Ben: We hear stories of men of the 517th coming home and landing in New York on VJ DAY. I  bring you a story of a soldier who transferred to the 82nd for OCCUPATIONAL DUTY IN BERLIN  We had that choice because of combat time in ITALY with the 517th. I can only speak for myself because other soldiers stories may be different, but I  did not reluctantly spend my time in BERLIN or get home later than the 517th. and regret it. We in the 1st Battalion of the 505th Regiment, who had the required points necessary for discharge left Berlin around the middle of November and then traveled via train to Marseilles France. We had to wait  another few days to board ship because our ship had the only doctor on board within a few hundred miles of a ship with a stricken sailor and the ship that we were to board had to turn around and meet the ship with the stricken sailor somewhere at sea. But we finally boarded ship and set sail for  HOME sweet Home. We continued with  our mild setbacks about three days out and around dinner time when we enter the ATLANTIC OCEAN and a genuine Atlantic ocean storm.  A storm that causes a U.S. warship to go to the AZORES for repairs is not a mild storm, one of the days on board we made no miles toward home. BUT, after about 10 days we arrived in Boston Harbor and I arrived home the day before Christmas Day on a three day Pass. My time in Berlin was enjoyable to me because  I met some high school friends there, plus met and became close friends with a few former 517th G.Is.   So that is my story about returning to the U.S. Best regards to All. S/Sgt Ray R. Hess  "F" CO    P.S. Ben I also watched the 82nd march down 5th Avenue, NEW YORK CITY and holler from the curb at all my former friends

Diane Lynch

Ben

           I have talked to my 2 sisters that live in the suburbs of St. Louis and the three of us would be happy to help out with the reunion or hospitality suite next year.  Let us know what we can do to help.  My sister’s have family and friends that I am sure would be happy to donate food for the hospitality suite.  Our email addresses are listed in the Cc… section above.

             My husband and I enjoyed going to the Savannah and Washington, DC reunions with my Dad, Marvin Moles – I Company, and we look forward to the St. Louis reunion.

 Thanks,

Diane Lynch

June Huffman

Your messages are clear and very informative!  Thanks.  So sorry I could not get to the reunion, but my thoughts were with you all.  Is there a chance I could still get a copy or tape of Gen. Seitz speech?  I have heard so much about it, Id love to read it.   Thanks for your contribution and talents for the 517!!!                                        June   Huffman

No. I could not hear it.   Maybe I did something wrong===I'll try again,  I'd love to hear it.  Thanks
   Tom McAvoy

Morris, tell me if you will about Fred Harman, Did he fall down?? I know he has bad legs from when he was a civilian before the war?? did he have his knees replaced?? Tom McAvoy

 Darrell Egner

  Bob

Your a genius, thank you, thank you.  The directions you E-mailed me worked like a charm.  I clicked on the link and went down stairs and did a load of wash and about 20 minutes later I came back up to the computer, pushed the play button and heard the whole speech.  Thanks again!

Tomorrow I am sending some pictures of you and others to your Dad.  I am sure he will pass them on to you.  Also tomorrow I have AT&T coming out to check my DSL.  Might have to break down and get the fast stuff.

Regards,

Darrell Egner