From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:52 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1375 517TH PRCT- JULY 25,2007
 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Howard Hensleigh is now at VA Menlo Park facility 7 miles from the spinal cord injury VA hospital in Palo Alto , CA. I'm sure that he would like to hear from members of the Combat Team.

I try to limit the size of Mail Call to four printed pages for various reasons.

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 http://markleweb.com/blog/vice-president-cheney-speaks-at-washington-dc-reunion/

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 Details in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Madawaska Victory passenger lists    NEW
Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

517 PRCT Association  Officers

Steve Markle

Ben,

    I would like to clarify that it was my daughter Rosalinda that captured that video of the Vice President at the reunion that is now floating around on the internet and at various locations within the USPS. I am just the messenger (and the Webmin) ; ).

    I have been getting offers for $ for these DVD's from people requesting them.... I do not need or want the money.

.... However, I was just thinking that if any of the people who requested these enjoys the results, they could toss some money in the organizations direction. If it wasn't for the guys from this unit, our world would be a lot different. What I do is nothing compared to what they did. I just want to do my part in keeping the memory alive.

    Please continue to send the requests to me with the mailing address to be sent to, to this address steve517@markleweb.com and I will get them out ASAP. The mini DVD's are what I will send out unless a full size is requested.

NOTE: All of these disks are NOT copy protected so feel free to copy and redistribute to family members and other interested parties.

As always... Thanks.
-Steve-

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,
        I was just looking at the pictures sent in by Elaine Berger and again I see a picture of a man that resembles my dad. It is the man on the left resting in the fox hole.  She said that she thought the pictures were of H company in the fall and winter and that fits the correct time period when he was with the 517th.  Does anyone else claim this man? Just wondered..
                                                                          Rick Sweet

 Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

I am a long term care patient at the VA Menlo Park facility 7 miles from the spinal cord injury VA hospital in Palo Alto, sort of connected to the Stanford medical school as the VA in Boston is to Harvard.  I am receiving the best care they can give me and am satisfied to be here until the end.  I do not mean to suggest that the end is near.  For all that has happened to me over the last 86 and two thirds years, I am in much better shape than could be expected.  I am out of the room a lot in this good weather, but my phone is:  650-493-5000 X23141.  795 Willow Road, Bldg. 331 Unit C, Menlo Park, CA 94025.

One of the sons of a 596 member found me today and gave me a DVD with the Cheney speach on it.  I was surprised and delighted.  He works nearby, but lives, at least on week ends, in Sacramento.  I thought he included his name on the package, but he didn't and like a dummy I did not get it.

This is a VA computer which works most of the time and the health care is great.  I will look forward to seeing you at any time as always.  The computer is in a corner of the dining room that I call the mess hall.  The food is good.

You and Bob have done more for the outfit than words can convey.  Congratulations on a great reunion in DC.

Highest airborne regards,  Howard H

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  Steve Markle, son of Eugene Markle of the 596th Combat Engineers came to the VA facility in Menlo Park, looked me up and gave me a disk of the Cheney address.  I am most grateful to Steve for making this effort and now look forward to the pleasure of seeing and hearing what the VP had to say about a great outfit.  My thanks to you, Steve,       Howard Hensleigh