From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 8:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1376 517TH PRCT-JULY 27, 2007
 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

One week from today may be last Mail Call for awhile. I will be out at Lake Tahoe and California until August 29. Send mail. I will be able to receive mail but,  l unless I can transfer my address book with nearly 400 names to an other computer I won't be able to send Mail Call. Possible Don?

I try to limit the size of Mail Call to four printed pages for various reasons.

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 http://markleweb.com/blog/vice-president-cheney-speaks-at-washington-dc-reunion/

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 Details in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Madawaska Victory passenger lists    NEW
Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

517 PRCT Association  Officers

From the Web site:   WWII Recollections
Patrick O'Donnell

Claire and Ben,

Following up on your email, we are in the very early stages of trying to put together a "Beyond Valor-type" book for Hispanic American veterans of  WWII.  If possible, I'd like to have troopers from the 517th represent the airborne experience during the war.

What worked best in my prior books is the troopers' most vivid memory of the war.  Anyone in combat has one or two memories that are practically seared in their mind. The details are all there, and sometimes they feel like yesterday.  These memories can demonstrate brotherhood, sacrifice, an accomplishment, and tragically -- sometimes they are haunting.  We are seeking compelling material for this book so if anyone from the 517th would like to participate please send me their "e-history," my term for these memories, to wrestlerncaa@yahoo.com.   If possible, I'm hoping the individual trooper can also include a sentence or two placing their memory in context.  The 517th's history book "Paratroopers’ Odyssey" can help with dates and campaign (i.e. Italy, Southern France, Bulge, Hurtgen Forest, and even training).   I will interactively ask questions via email to shape the e-history, if necessary.

Airborne all the way!

Pat O'Donnell
Author and Combat Historian
Beyond Valor

p.s. As an aside, I'm also looking for anyone who knew Frank Ramos's brother. I'd like to include a story or memory of his sacrifices during the war.
 Claire Giblin

Hi, everyone  -

I am urging all of the 517's Hispanic American gentlemen to please contact Pat O'Donnell as he requests in his email.

My experience is that many of our vets feel that they are not heroes, that they are modest, and they don't want to appear to be bragging.  I understand and respect all this - it's part of why we love you guys.

But the time to tell your story is now.  I have often heard vets say that their story isn't that much, and that else's stories are more interesting.  I would rather have Pat trying to figure out how he can possibly work through all the material you can give him, sorting and sifting through.

My worst nightmare would be that no one contacts him at all.

Please, if you can help Pat with his next project on Hispanic vets, email him now.

If this is motivating you to tell your story and you're not Hispanic, that's ok, too.  Please share your story on the Soldiers' Stories portion of the 517 website.  Tell your family.  Offer to speak to a history class in your town.  Participate in an oral history project.  Do it today.

Best to all -

Claire Giblin

President 517 Auxiliary

Joyce Turco

 Good afternoon Ben. I have been thinking of dropping you a line to say how much I enjoy the E-mails. I know we could see them on the web site but it is not the same as reading each day you are able to keep them up.

So happy to hear you were able to go to Washington. Would love to go but without Leo I would not be comfortable plus some back problems which would make it hard. My daughters have offered to go with me but they have all they can do to come to help me through the pain clinic shots I am getting. Carol, who was with me for a couple of months just went back home this morning to Rochester. Was great to have her help. Fed the kitties and did a lot of yard work which she loves. I am lucky to have helpful family as I know you do.
Thanks for keeping up all the e-mail letters and the web site is looking great. One picture sent of the 596th had Leo in it but he was 460th. Does not make much difference as all were 517th.

Best wishes,  Joyce
 CHESTER KOCHERSPERGER

PLEASE SEND INFORMATION ON THE 517TH TO CHESTER KOCHERSPERGER
                                                                            912 WOODSIDE AVE.
                                                                            SECANE, PA 19018
I'VE LOST TOUCH AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE LATEST. THANKS

Darrell Egner

 Ben

A friend called me a few minutes ago an asked if I knew a William Evans from the 517.  I looked on our roster and he was not listed so I guess he may be one we never found.

He passed away and his funeral is tomorrow.  The Obit gave a history of him being with us from Toccoa to Germany and all the awards he received.  He was 84 years old and lived in Jacksonville.  I went to a funeral yesterday and that is enough for one week so I will not be going.

As you didn't have a Mail Call today I figured you needed some filler material.

Regards,

Darrell Egner

Steve Markle

Howard and all,
    It was all my honor and privilege to have the opportunity to meet you today. To echo what you said, you really do look good (read healthy) and were a real pleasure to talk to, if only for a few minutes. Best of luck in your recovery.

-Steve
Michael. Le MUY France

Dear Ben,
here is the WWII photos of our friends, Henri Parlarieux the French resistant, and Ed Jordan, when they landed in Lorgues in the 15th of august.
the first one is in a place where one of the sick was wounded, Jesse K DAVIS, demo platoon attached to B co for the jump, from the left is
Henri Parlarieux, Houston COUCH, Ed Jordan (in front with the pipe), james Eberle, Mel Hoffman and Russel Anderson, all B company, under command of Lieut Hillsdale
on the second photo "souvenir", is left Ed "Dog" JORDAN, Henri Parlarieux, and Sgt Robert Schumacher
please tell me if you want more info if you do something on the site, I will try to check more docs.
waremst regards
 Michael. Le MUY France