From: ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 12:51 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1383 517th PRCT-AUG 12 2007

 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I am hoping this mail call gets out!   I am on my daughter's apple computer and trying to navigate through a different system.

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

  At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.    Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL

Jan 20-24, 2008

Recent website additions:
Robert Magnuson and friends, G and H Companies
Madawaska Victory passenger lists
Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA
Bill Boyle news article

517 PRCT Association  Officers

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

JO ANNE ROBERTS GRAY

>>Saving Private Stokes By Patrick O’Donnell
Nice writing, Pat!  A moving story and very inspiring.  Sorry it all went like that.
Jo Anne Roberts Gray

CLAIRE GIBLIN

The story and the thanks

Many have asked, and my answer was always the best I knew.  I do not know how the 517 was able to get the Vice President to address the banquet.  I sent an email where I’d been told to send it, and didn’t know anything for sure until days before the banquet.

Now that we are in the happy and considerably quieter aftermath of the whirlwind reunion, I have been able to do a bit of investigation, which I want to share with all.

I was told by Ben Barrett, who’d been told by Frank Ramos, to send an email to a gentleman named Brian McCormack, which I did.  I did not know where or for whom he worked (Lesson 1: an email address including eop.gov means The Executive Office of the President.  This is good to know.  I did not know this at the time).

Brian and I corresponded back and forth, and I did know that he had input or access to the VP’s schedule.  However, elsewhere in my planning, I was cautioned that many other reunions have gone down this road before.  Everyone is sure that someone important is coming, it’s definite, it’s confirmed..... and then it doesn’t happen.  Not wanting to disappoint my favorite vets, I did not share any of the planning or conversations with anyone except my co-chair, Ben Barrett, and my assistant co-chairs, Allan Johnson and Leo Dean.

I was leaving on Wednesday, June 27 for the reunion.  I got confirmation that we were on the VP’s schedule on Tuesday afternoon, June 26.  By that time, I was dizzy with other preparations.  As I’ve said to many of you, I would have been frantically busy even if the Vice President had not come.  The VP’s attendance pushed many responsibilities onto the shoulders of others, and it’s impossible to thank everyone for stepping up to the plate for the 517 team.

Brian McCormack is the gentleman who arranged this honor for the 517.  He works for Vice President Cheney and has served our country both at home and abroad.  Let me quote Frank Ramos, 1st Vice President of the 517 Friends and Family Auxiliary:

“Brian was with the provisional government (CAP) in Iraq with Ambassador Bremer at the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom and he is mentioned in Bremer's book as one of his hard working staffer. Brian was a Presidential appointee staffer to Kenneth Krieg, Under Secretary for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, when I served in that Office as a Director.”

Frank suggested that we extend the invitation through Brian McCormack, whom he thinks of very highly.  Clearly, Brian is a person who has served our country in many different capacities, with honor and distinction.  We have thanked him profusely.  We also thank Frank Ramos, who was able to share the knowledge about how best to extend the invitation.  Frank is a real find for the 517, and we are happy that he agreed to serve as 1st Vice President.

VIRGINIA JORGEN

Retiree_Drill_Team.wmv