From: ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 3:19 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL #1386 517th PRCT - AUGUST 17 2007

Hello,
No headings worried it might be too long.   I have not been able to get on the website until today. Bob is keeping it up to date and there is much new information.

BEN

PATRICIA AND ROLAND ORENGO

Hi Ben

On this picture included Roland is wearing a jacket made by a friend named Pierre. He mhas made this jacket for the souvenir of the 517th in col de Braus.

For the 65 th anniversary of liberation of Sospel he will produce the same in souvenir of Sospel.

Best souvenirs from Patou and Roland Orengo (Sospel - France).

We are planning to see you again in St Louis in 2008.

With all our love for all of you.

From Patricia and Roland Orengo, our friends from Sospel, France:

Below is a message that Patricia gave at our Savannah reunion--Ben

Dear Friends,

We would like to thanks all of you for your welcome in Savannah.  It was our first reunion with the 517e but not the last.  Helen and Hal have done a tremendous job for … the “cream”, their family and friends.

We are very proud to know you, to share your souvenirs.  Our mind will keep for ever, your kindness, your disponibility, your happiness, your love of life : a great lesson for the future generation.  It was, also moving to see children grand children, cousins, nephews attend to the reunion.  We have to keep alive your sacrifice in the memories. It is our legacy.

We are still French, we speak still French because one day you have jumped in France, a small country, on the other side of Ocean Atlantic, almost unknown  by you, only, to save us.

Thanks so much.

And don’t forget : The French love Americans as you love us.

Vive l’Amerique, Vive la France.

NB : For those of you who they did not understand our awful accent, we send you included, our speech (Banquet – Savannah 08/19/2005.

Patricia and Roland ORENGO

Banquet - Savannah, August 19, 2005

Dear Friends of the 517e,
To begin with, let me tell you where I have come from, so that I can be in front of you today.

My husband Roland and I come from a village in the south east of France, which is called Sospel.
A good number of you know our village which is at the southern end of the Maginot line, between France and Italy with numerous strategic fortresses and gun emplacements.

We are the humble representatives of our village’s mayor and the population of Sospel who present to the 517e this plate in homage for your action in the World War II.

We will be eternally grateful to you for liberating France from the enemy’s yoke and the Nazi suppression. We thank you for sacrificing years of your life so that our lives can be free.

We are with you today, thanks to the invitation of Nolan Powell and his family, which are most generously allowing us to stay with them during our time in the USA.
We met Nolan, in Sospel, a few years ago and we persuaded him to make a tour of the village in our Jeep.
This led to an exchange of correspondence with letters and photographs, which cemented our friendship.

In honour of this friendship, we present Nolan with the medal of Sospel.

We thank you for your reception but we are especially grateful for the efforts you have made to give us freedom.

We recently celebrated, like many villages and towns of France, the 60th anniversary of our liberation which took place on October 28.

One of you was in Sospel on that date. It was Marvin Moles, who had the good idea to mislay his helmet in a corner of France which then enabled a young guy to find him !
He is among us today and I greet him and thank his family who wrote beautiful things about us on the 517e’s website. Thanks to Marvin, Diane and Mark.
We will be happy, in the future, to be your guide to those of you among us who wish to visit our beautiful village.
Do not hesitate to tell us when you will come.

Thank you.

TOM CROSS

At this time 63 years ago I was sitting with my broken leg resting on a chair in the 517th PRCT CP waiting for Colonel Graves and Major Paxton to return to the  Chateau St. Roseline. Colonel Graves and Paxton had left me in charge of the CP while they made a reconnaissance of the Objective Area. They left the CP late in the afternoon and did not return until around midnight. Lt. Col .Walton, the 517th PRCT Executive Officer, and Capt. Pierce, the 517th S-1, had been injured in the jump that day and were not in the area occupied by the 517th PRCT CP.  The Glider Pilots had been told to close on the 517th PRCT after landing their Gliders and were charged with helping to protect the 517th PRCT CP.  When it became dark the Glider Pilots were firing their weapons at anything that moved or sounded like movement.  About 2 hours after darkness arrived Capt. Bigler, the 517th Communication Officer who was also left in the CP with me, received a report That an enemy column was heading for the 517th CP.  After discussing the situation with Capt Bigler I felt the our CP was relatively safe and as long as the Glider Pilots kept up their indiscriminate firing at anything and everything .Fortunately Colonel Graves and Major Paxton managed to get through our dauntless CP Security safely but how they got by the Glider Pilots and returned without harm seemed like a miracle. Looking back in time from then until I retired from the Army I do not believe I have experienced such unusual and effective combat CP Security such as we had that evening of August 15, 1944.
Regards, Tom

MARIE-LOUISE SPENCER

To the 517th PCT to liberate us 63 years ago in the South of
France and in the process bringing me my husband of 60 years,
Joe Spencer.
God Bless You All!
Marie-Louise S.

For "an old dog" you are doing extremely well. I admire
your dedication to the 517th and your stamina.
Joe's cancer has returned but I believe in miracles and in
the power of prayer.
Fondly,
Marie-Louise-

BOB BARRETT

A little more info about Leo in this version:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=613560&category=FRONTPG&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/12/2007

GEORGE JANSSON

Hello, Mr. Barrett and all of the 517. I noticed today, while reading the newspaper that today was the day that allied forces landed in Southern France. I really had to stop time, and think about everything all of you were thinking and going through. I have been blessed to be at an age when troops were being withdrawn from Vietnam. To this day, I do not know what a justifiable war my be, but reading history I know everything that the allies performed in the Great War was noble and decent. You all also, went on with your lives and became the backbone of our liberties and economy as we know it.  Bless all of you and the comrades that never made it home. Sincerely, George Jansson

DARRELL ENGER

Ben

Just read that you will be in California until the end of August.  Better get back to New England and try and talking Leo out of his 101st jump.  I sure don't want anything to happen to my S/T.  I judge your ready to get off the Apple Computer.

Heck I got carried away.  I was just going to request that you add Jen Willson, Chris Lindner's daughter, to Mail Call.  Her address is jleigh1980@sbcglobal.net.  She lives in Dallas but will be helping Mom with the St. Louis Reunion in 2008.

One of my sons is coming in tomorrow from Arizona and then Darrell Jr. will pick us up at the local airport on Saturday. We will fly to Hunter MacDonalds Island in Canada.  Should arrive just in time for Toddies.  I trained him well!  Hunter will be at the Florida Mini in January.  He likes to come to my house for a few days before the Mini and watch me burn up a steak.  OK the truth, he won't let me cook any more.  I think it was a good move on my part so now I don't have to cook

Hope your having a great time and getting some rest.

Darrell Egner

RICK SWEET

Hi Ben,
       Can anyone get the passenger list for the Oneida Victory Ship? That is
the ship that my dad and Jim Sutcliffe were on among many other 517th soldiers.I
have tried this myself but cannot find the information.

Thanks (S.O.B)

Rick Sweet