From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1396 517TH PRCT- SEPTEMBER 8, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
I have received from Leo Dean via Dick Seitz notice of the passing of Col. Fred E. Allen,  a lieutenant in the 517.  He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam conflict.

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Matthew Skovera, HQ Co, 3rd Bn.

PFC Anthony S. Celli, I Co. (KIA)

517th Commemorative March 2007- Southern France

Richard Eaton videos - Witness to the War
Madawaska Victory passenger lists
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

Bill Boyle news article

517 PRCT Association  Officers

Lucky Hiers

Hello Veterans!

The following is something I just opened from our son who is in the war zone somewhere.  I haven't opened the http: lead, but will do so in just a moment.   Thought perhaps you, or someone you know, might have some interest in looking it up.

Lucky is doing better and we're waiting for the doctor to tell us that we can do some kind of travel.  We are (planning) to attend the Kissimme reunion in January and possibly the one at Palm Springs CA in April.  And surely do hope that we'll not have any more of that stuff that has kept us close to home ever since the day before the D.C. reunion.   (Billie still has one suitcase to unpack.)  Hospitals, doctors are not our favorite activity!

God bless you, one and all!
Lucky (Hiers)
517th

Hi Mom:

Not sure if you have seen this before... it may even be the same organization that supports the WWII memorial. Just saw a telling interview of a man who just made a movie about WWII that will run on PBS for 4 weeks starting I think on the 26th.  Basically, he and his crew went to 4 towns across the US and interviewed "old" soldiers and their families. His whole movie theme bounces back and forth between the home front and the war front through the eyes of those who lived it. In a unique way he did this chronologically tying together events at home and war together. Suppose to be a powerful and well done movie.....one of the best ever made I heard.

The link to this organization is http://www.loc.gov/vets/  I know that they get people to video veterans, especially those from WWII.  If you guys get to go to the next reunion or talk to those organizing it. I recommend inviting the Veterans History Project to attend.

Gilles Guignard

Dear Ben and Bob and friends of the 517th,

Here are two picture of the "Pont de la Manda" near Carros (Southern France) where Corporal Perkins and PFC Richards volunteered to cross the bridge disguised as civilian workmen and became the first American soldiers to cross the Var.
The photos are taken from the "American side". If you want to include these photos in the mail call and on your website you are more than welcome.
With best regards, Gilles

Leo Dean

More about Leo's 100th jump in later Mail Calls