From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 8:19 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1401 517TH PRCT- SEPTEMBER 17, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I  try not to include in Mail Call items pertaining to religion, politics or jokes and also medical information "this could save your life". Don't depend on the internet for medical advise . Just call 911.

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.         Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Matthew Skovera, HQ Co, 3rd Bn.

PFC Anthony S. Celli, I Co. (KIA)

517th Commemorative March 2007- Southern France

Richard Eaton videos - Witness to the War
Madawaska Victory passenger lists
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

Bill Boyle news article

Edith Miller

Do veterans deceased since WWII have their names inscribed on the Memorial wall in Wash D.C.?  If so, how does one go about having someone inscribed on the wall?  I hope someone can help find the answer -- I would like to have Joe D. Miller's name so inscribed if that is possible.    Thanks -- Edith Miller at  millerview4@charter.net
                                                                   *********

 Bob Christie

Ben, I would like to apologize to everyone. The Auxiliary officers list was printed in the wrong place. I will try to correct it in the next issue. Bob

Darrell Egner

 received a call from Leo a few days ago with several pieces of news that I would like to share.  First of all he made his 100th jump.  It was a tandem jump and he and the instructor went out of the plane backwards and made 3 backward summersaults.  All I have to say is I am very happy that he made it and he is still our Treasurer as he does such a great job.

The next feat he accomplished was to send an Invoice to Mr. Gilbert regarding a advertisement that was placed in the Thunderbolt about a year ago.  We had never sent an Invoice until Leo sent his.  Mr Gilbert sent a check in the amount of $2000 by return mail.  That equates to 66 of the 517 family paying dues.  Hopefully all of us sent in our dues in August but if you haven't please send them to Leo now.

I wish to thank Mr Gilbert for his very generous contribution to the 517.  And thanks to Leo Dean for taking the bull by the horns and doing such a bang up job with the treasury.

Regards,

Darrell Egner
Tony Ventura

Hello,

My name is Tony Ventura and I have some very interesting material for
your website.  Please see attached for material on Sgt. Robert J. Miller
(KIA), Company I, 517 PIR.  He was killed in action in September 1944.
I have included a couple of photos, and some official letters. I also
included a couple of letters from Lt. Floyd Stott (KIA)  to Millers
wife.  Also included is a letter from Cpl. Allen Hq. 517 PIR.   Please
see attached and contact me if you have any questions.  I have many more
documents from other 517 PIR paratroopers if you are interested.

Thank you,
Tony Ventura
                                                       **************
FYI.  But he forgot to attach the photos.  I sent him a reply to resend. - Bob

Michael   Wells

Ben:

  I'm a little slow and a bit confused about who to send money to for the book and to join the association/auxiliary.  Is the following correct?:

To join the 517th PRCT Association:
    Cost:          $30.00 (To include the Thunderbolt)
                        Make Check payable to:  517PRCT  ( ? )
    Send to:     Leo Dean
    (I'm assuming that I cannot join the Association, but can make a donation.)

To join the 517th Auxiliary:
    Cost:         $20.00 for Auxiliary, plus
                      $10.00 if I want to receive the Thunderbolt
                       Make Check payable to:  517PRCT ( ? )
    Send to:    Karen Frice Wallace

To purchase Paratroopers' Odyssey:
    Cost:         $22.50
                       Make Check payable to:  Leo Dean ( ? )
    Send to:    Leo Dean

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!
                                 *********
Above is correct, Donation can be sent to the Auxiliary.-Ben

  Nicolas Arnulf

Dears Veterans,

After La Motte's successful walk, "Forty four memories" members have organized (on my initiative) last week-end a reconstitution in commemoration of Col de braus's fights, which brought into conflict soldiers of the 517th RCT, First Special Service Force & French local resistance against German's troops.

We've spent first night in "Pas de l'Agree's" fox-holes, we've done a night patrol on "Hill 1098" between midnight and 5 a.m. and then slept.

Few hours later, our squad went on US "Hill 1040's" positions (you can see on pictures' background "Ventabrun's peak").

In the afternoon we went back in "Ridge X's" fox-holes, face to "Lavina", and welcomed "Nice-Matin's" reporter who has published this morning a fantastic article.

After spending a second night on Ridge X, we've patrolled on "Tete de la Lavina".

We hope this commemoration touched you. As far as young French are concerned, we are proud and grateful of what young Americans did for us !!!

(Please can you put this article and pictures, on your web-site, in rubric of "reunions and commemorations" ?)
I send you other pictures !

Respectfully,
Nicolas Arnulf
(member of "Forty-Four-Memories")
We will place more pictures on the website.= Ben

Gene Frice

Sent as I received it – very powerful

I don't know who Lizzie Palmer is but I love her and thank her for this work.
I hope you can open this – it's very moving and powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1