From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:28 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1404 517TH PRCT- SEPTEMBER 26, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I want all to know about our financial situation because it is your donations that has made the association viable  and in the past this information was  usually known only to the officers . I have Leo Dean's email below because it explains our financial situation today and Leo's well being.

Everyone take  note of the generous donation that Wade Gilbert, son of Ernie F. company, has given us for placing an add in the Thunderbolt. and will continue to do so through 2008.  Other considerations aside it is just a very bounteous gift to us by Wade.

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.     Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Sgt. Robert J. Miller, I Company (KIA)

Matthew Skovera, HQ Co, 3rd Bn.

PFC Anthony S. Celli, I Co. (KIA)

517th Commemorative March 2007- Southern France

Richard Eaton videos - Witness to the War
Madawaska Victory passenger lists
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

Bill Boyle news article

Claire Giblin

Ben -

I just read in our last Mail Call that Bob is apologizing for being behind in posting things to the website??!!

Bob is the best friend the 517 has.  Without him, there would be no website, much less the absolutely outstanding website that the two of you have developed.  Through his efforts, information has been gathered and is there for future generations, in the format they use every day.

So Bob occasionally has a personal life?  That is just fine with all of us.  I shudder to think what we'd have to pay someone to do his job.

We hope the girls and their place are having a great opening!

Claire Giblin

President, 517 Auxiliary-Friends & Family

President, Bob Barrett Fan Club

Bob Barrett

Tony,

I finally got around to posting your material to the 517th web site.

See:   http://www.517prct.org/photos/photos.htm

Let me know if you want to change or add anything.

Those letters are powerful and sad.  Thanks for sharing them.  If you
have other documents that you think would be worth sharing, I would be
honored to add them to the web site.

May I ask what is your connection or interest in Robert Miller?  Are you
a relative, friend, or just a historian/collector?

Regards,

Bob Barrett
webmaster@517prct.org

 Wendell Engelien

To Russell Miller,
Regarding your question posted May 26 2002,
I can fill you in about Lt Bob Engelien.  I am his 2nd cousin. Bob married in Feb 1945 and had one son, Mark. With Korea, he signed up again with 1st Calvary as Capt. He was injured twice in Korea (July and again in November, 1950.)  The 2nd injury was serious with the loss of his leg. He did go to Germany and learned skiing on one leg.  He returned to Big Bear Lake, California where he organized a similar camp for American amputees. Wounded 6 times overall between WWII and Korea, he became ill and passed away December 11, 1953 at the age of 30 in Chicago IL.
If you have anything you can relate about your experience with Robert Engelien, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks.  Wendell Engelien Engelienw@comcast.net

Russell Miller

I met Ian Cowan's daughter, Heather Riley, at the Savannah reunion.  Cowan and I were both in 3rd platoon "B" Company of the1st Bn 517.  Have recently found a few scraps of information about our platoon's mortar squad in which Cowan was the Gunner.  Would appreciate a mailing address and/or phone number for Heather Riley.

/s/ Russell F. Miller
      Paralegal
Russ Miller

 Heather Riley:  you may recall that we met at the Savannah reunion and talked a little bit about your father and the 517th.  At my request, Ben has provided your e-mail address so I could forward the following information I ran across when looking at my notes and some old papers the other day -(they are not official notes or documents).  You probably already know this, but in case you don't, here it is:  I was the platoon leader when your father and I were in Company B, 3rd Platoon, 1st Battalion of the 517th.  He was listed in our Mortar squad, along with others as follows:  Sgt.Haga (Squad Leader), PFC Cowan (Gunner), Pfc. Willard (Assistant Gunner), Taylor, Crabtree, Bungy, Faccinto, Nadej, and our Medic, Locke.
     Plane assignments for the jump into southern France in August 1944:  Plane No. 36:   Lt. Sanford, Haga, Cowan, Bungy Faccinto (various other soldiers from some other 517th unit to provide a full load of jumpers).  As you may know, Lt. Sanford was later Governor of North Carolina, President of Duke University, and finally U. S. Senator from North Carolina.
    As only one example of what a fine soldier your father was:  my recollection is that our platoon was sent out on a patrol in mid-January 1945 when the Battle of the Bulge was still in full swing with the situation still very fluid ; for instance our platoon encountered the 82nd Airborne Division commander, General James Gavin himself, walking up a draw toward us while he was out on a personal reconnaissance of the terrain, trying to determine location of friendly and enemy forces in this very fluid situation.  A short while later, our platoon was ordered to set up a road block on a main highway from which the town of  St. Vith could be observed in the distance.  Once we were in position, your father zeroed in his mortar on the middle of this road which we could readily observe from the nearby high ground where our platoon had taken position as part of the road block.  A short while later a German unit and supply wagon came down this highway toward our platoon's location.  Our plan was for your father's mortar squad to fire a round as the enemy came within range, at which point the rest of our rifle platoon would open fire on targets of opportunity.  Your father's mortar round landed perfectly in the middle of the column of German troops on the road, inflicting casualties and causing the enemy troops to break formation and run to seek cover.

Leo Dean

Hi Ben,

A few weeks ago I sent Wade Gilbert an invoice for $2,000 for his as in the Thunderbolt. Last week I received a check for the $2,000. Ask ye shall receive! The treasury is still solvent. In August I put $10,000 into a 9 months CD at 5.15%. Still have about $8,000. in the checking account. Last Sunday I did skydive #102. Out the door at 10,000 feet. Did three back flips before I opened the chute. Not bad for an old guy.

Airborne!

Leo

PS. A slightly different e-mail address.

Wade Gilbert
Hi Ben,

The offer will stand for at least until the end of 2008.  Please have them run an add each time and send me a bill.

Thanks for your help and support.

 Best regards,

 Wade Gilbert

www.iavi.com

 Heather Riley

Dear Mr. Miller,
Thank you so much for writing me.  I do remember meeting you in Savannah.  Did you make it to Washington?  I was able to go to the WWII Memorial in honor of my Dad.  What pride it shows for our war heroes.  I hope you have made the trip.  My mother gave me Daddy's boots last month.  He had kept them all of these years.  I have some interesting mementos of his.  A brochure from a fancy hotel in France etc.  I am glad he had some good memories as well.  Would you like some copies of some of his papers?  I have some classified documents, photos etc.  Some of them have been put on the Website.  He had copies of the Blue Book, in which General Graves wrote the accounts of the 517th.  Please let me mail you a copy of those articles.  My husband made them and they are quite readable.  I am sure you would remember lots of the information given.  Take care and thanks again for helping me picture Daddy in those times.  I do know he was a hell of a  shot as he was an avid hunter in Florida and New Jersey - many deer, hogs etc.
Yours,
Heather Riley