From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:12 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1419 517TH PRCT - OCTOBER 25, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL

Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 2008

Recent website additions:
Claire Giblin

Dear Ben -

So good to hear from Boom Boom.  He is in all of our thoughts and prayers.

Claire Giblin

Tom Stadler

HI BEN
MRS HUFFMAN IS PROBABLY LOOKING FOR BUEL E. PUTNAM. PUTNAM DIED APPROX. 2 YRS. AGO. HE WAS A 2/BN PATHFINDER AND 2/BN S-2 AS WAS POP. HE LIVED IN LEXINGTON N.C.

BEST REGARDS
TOM STADLER grandstadlers@msn.com

Nace Cohen knew Putnam very well.
N474@aol.com

June Huffman

Thank you for the information on Benny Putnam!  Sorry to hear he has passed away.  Does anyone know where Betty lives?  I would love to get in touch with her!!!  Thank you so much.    June
Al Eckart

Hi BEN    Just wanted to know if you could add my daughter to mail call.  Her
address is dseckart@comcast.net  Thank you                Al Eckart.

Lory Curtis

Ben,
I loved listening to "blood on the risers" yesterday on mail call, but I can not copy the file to a CD to send to my Dad so he can listen to it.  Any way to get it into an MP3 or some other format so I can make a CD for my Dad?

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn
                                                                        ***********
It's in the mail. - ben

Boom Boom Alicki

Reference Mail Call 1418  517th Prct Oct 23, 2007  "Lucky Heirs".

  Need your help.  My old 517th Prct Roster nor E-mail addresses show zilch.

  Please send correct addresses so I can personally thank Lucky Heirs clan for being so kind to remember me.

  Also, I will be always grateful to the end of time of what Bob and you created and accomplished with the best and successful 517th Prct Web Site.

  Mucho Gracias Amigos.

Leon Lambotte

Dear Friends Karen, Gene
Dear Friends Veterans

Yesterday I received by post from the International Audio Visual Inc, 4 dvd about the history of the 517 PRCT and
"lilly marlene", and the meeting in Portland 2006 too.
I think, It's thanks to you and your kindles, that I received those dvd and I thank you a lot of time.
This dvd is well informed on the subject, and we see with great pleasure that during this meeting in Portland, Gene and
his friends Véterans are always on top form. (always...ATTACK..) When we show the dvd, we think a little more to you.  Hoping you are always in good health, receive our thanks and our friendship.
Our best memory to you, Wayne, Luke, Cody, Laurie, Robin and all the family

Ps: I give the rest of the dvd to our friends from the CRIBA.

See you again
Léon

Léon Lambotte
13 sentier Balance
4053 EMBOURG
BELGIUM
Bob Barrett

Re:  Hal Jeffcoat

see:  http://www.517prct.org/BIW%20Newsletter%20Vol1%20No2%20October%202007.pdf

Bob Barrett

Dad,

I’m not sure if you ever heard this one before, but here is a story about Hal Jeffcoat, as told in Randolph Coleman’s biography

We did some things, I don’t know if you’re going to want to rub this off or not; when we were at Camp Mackall before we went over seas, a couple of our boys from Minnesota, the two boys that I said looked kind of like that picture you showed them, they were inseparable.  And they looked kind of like Mutt and Jeff, short and tall, white headed.  They went in to Rockingham one night and went into….no wait; I’ll get to that.  One of our guys went in they had a carnival.  And, you know, they had these things where you ride the Ferris wheel, and you ride little cars, and you throw the ball at the milk bottles and you win a prize or whatever.  Well, we were reduced to that when we came.  And one of our guys went in there, and he was an ex-semi-pro baseball player, I’ll tell you another story about him if I don’t forget it, named Hal Jeffcoat.  And he could throw.  So we thought we’ll go over there and we’ll wipe out that guy of those prizes where you throw at those milk bottles.  And we went over there and the guy says you knock six of them over you get a choice of those dolls, you knock that over you get a choice of this.  And Jeffcoat goes, how many do I have to knock over to get that little radio.  He said oh, and he named off so many.  But he said that’s just a come on, because you’re not going to do that.  Well, to make a long story short, Jeffcoat won the radio.  We go over there to get the radio, picked the box up and it doesn’t weigh any more than this.  And we looked inside and there was nothing in there.  It’s just a little box.

So, we really got angry with him then.  So we said, “O.K. now, you’ve had your fun now we’re going to have ours.  You go get the rest of that radio.  And don’t come back out here until you get it.”  And he said, “Get out of here or I’ll call the M.P.’s.”  Well, we finally left.  We got back to the post, and I was talking to Lt. Murray Jones, the same executive officer.  He happened to be the officer of the day that weekend that we were on our pass.  So I went in there.  And he said, “You’re back awfully early, didn’t you have any fun?”  And I told him what happened.  He said, “What did you do about it?”  And I said, “ Well, I’m back out here right now trying to figure out what we can do about it, if anything.”  And he said, “Now you just sit right where you are and I’ll be back in a minute.”  He says, “When I get back I don’t want to hear one word from you.  And you’re not going to hear one word from me.  And you just pick up what I leave you and you use your imagination.”  Or something like that.  Well, he came back.  And all of a sudden it dawned on me when he came back, this guy is our demolitions officer for the regiment.  I mean the entire, not only our executive officer but our regimental explosive guy, expert.  Well, he came back and I’m sitting there and he just walked in and plopped this thing down on the table.  And it was a couple of blocks about that tall square of composition ‘C’.  And he just said like that to me, and I got up and I went to my barracks and I remember putting it in my footlocker real quick and closing it, and thinking what the hell was that.  All of a sudden, it dawned on me.  So I got those guys from Minnesota and we went in and we blew up that guys deal.  And we not only blew it up, but it started a damn fire.  And it scared the hell out of….   Of course, it scared us anyway.  What were we doing, what would our Mothers say.  And went back to camp real quick.  And of course the Federal guys came out for the next week.  They were out there.  But the few guys that figured it out or that knew about it, of course, wouldn’t tell.  The FBI walked up and down and said, “We’re looking for one of your guys.”  Well, what the hell, so you know we got away with that.  Now then that’s all the bad thing we did.  Nobody was hurt that I’m aware of.  But somebody could have been killed.   We did not take any precautions in that area.  We just did it.