From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 8:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1420 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 26, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Morris McDowell has sent us news of the passing of Fred Harmon. Fred was a walking historian of H Co. He knew all its history.  He will be missed.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Subject: The Passing of Fred Harmon.

 Ben,

My heart is very saddened to let you and all the 517 friends know of the passing of Fred Harmon. He died this morning , his body is at the Shives Funeral Home, 5202 Colonial Dr. Columbia, SC. 29203. The phone numbers are 1-800-464-6008 &  803-754-6290. His funeral will be Saturday at 3:00 pm Eastern.

For those who did not know Fred, he was the platoon Sgt. of the first platoon, 'H' Company Third Battalion. Fred will be sorely missed by myself and many of the Battling Buzzards.

Respectfully, Morris McDowell

Cecil Doty,

Greeting to Ben and all the 517 Troopers;
We moved into a Nursing home about five months ago, what a change this have been, they do every thing for you.  We are blessed to be the Top Rated Home in Kansas.  We're  in a two room suite  in Assisted Living now, when we need more health care we'll be moved into Health care.
We have a Ice Cream Shop here and I've been asked to manage it. Something to keep me out of trouble.
I just turned ninety Sept. 22nd. I can do a day's work if it isn't over two hours long.  I'm still driving my car on short trips.  I do miss the Reunions  but enjoy reading about them.

My new Address is    200 W. Cedar
                                  Hesston, KS. 67062

                                  New Telephone #  620  327 3523
                                  e mail address is still same

I called Ed Athey and had good visit with him.  He is just like the rest of us, getting older and slower each day.
My wife's health is much better since we made this moved.  We will have been Married 62 years this Dec.22nd

   time for Lunch  Cecil Doty

HELLO ...

 I AM INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM ANY PERSON THAT KNEW MY FATHER ....

 STAFF SERGEANT, RALPH D. MARSHALL OF THE 517TH COMPANY C

HE BLESSED ME WITH THE CARE OF HIS PURPLE HEART, WHICH I AM SO HONORED TO HAVE.  HOWEVER HE GAVE ME LITTLE INFORMATION ABOUT HIS TIME IN THE SERVICE SO WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO KNEW HIM.  I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT HE PASSED AWAY IN 2005.

HE DID TELL ME THAT HE HAD GONE TO THE NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR AND RODE ON A PARACHUTE RIDE ... AND LOVED IT ... AND THAT IS HOW HE KNEW HE WANTED TO BE A PARATROOPER!  HE WAS SO HONORED AND PROUD TO BE IN THE 517TH AND TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY.

THANKS IN ADVANCE IF ANY ONE CAN ANSWER MY REQUEST,

 REBECCA

Rebecca,

 I’m sure my Dad will post your note to his next newsletter.  In the meantime, I do see this info in our records:

 Ralph D. Marshall is listed with C Company during the Battle of the Bulge.  He was a PFC at the time.

           http://www.517prct.org/documents/xmas1944/xmas1944.htm

 He is also shown as WIA (wounded in action) on August 17th, and Returned to Duty on October 7:

             http://www.517prct.org/records/aug44_c.jpg

            http://www.517prct.org/records/oct44_c.jpg

 Missing in Action, January 4th; RTD Feb 1:

             http://www.517prct.org/records/jan45_c.jpg

 And there is a fairly completely “Record of Company C”, that you might find interesting:

             http://www.517prct.org/documents/c_co_history/c_co_history.htm

 Thanks for writing.

 Bob Barrett

webmaster@517prct.org