From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:54 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1421 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 27, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Checks for the 517 video should be made  out to 517 auxiliary.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

President Darrell Egner

I'm back again, hopefully in time for the 3rd Quarter Thunderbolt.  Leo (Bomb) Dean is doing a super job as Treasure of the 517.  Just wish he wouldn't think he was a Bomb.  For those that aren't on line on September 30 he jumped out of a B-17.  That makes 100 plus jumps.  In the Big War the B-17 held twelve 500 pound bombs, 6 on each side.  He and 5 other brave men (?) climbed into a bomb bay and the pilot opened the bomb bay door at 6000 feet.  Leo tells me he hit the circle.  And to think one bomb out weights Leo almost  400 pounds.  Heck I don't even jump off the last step at my house.

Now for some serious business.  We have three Reunions in the planning stage.  I plan to attend all three if the good Lord is willing.

1) Snow Bird Reunion in Kissimmee, Florida
    Dates:  January 20-24, 2008
    Hosts:   Donna Hilliard & Leila Webb

2)    West Coast Party in Palm Springs, California
       Dates:  April 14-19, 2008
       Host:    Bill Christian

3)    National Reunion in St. Louis (The big one)
       Dates:  June 25 to July 1, 2008
       Host:    Chris Lindner

Please plan your vacations around these dates and include family, friends and others.  Your Board of Directors voted on St. Louis for the big reunion as it was in the Mid-west, so the travel (distance) would not be a problem for most of you.  I am really looking forward to these Reunions as they get better all the time.

I would like to give a special thanks to Wade Gilbert who supports the  517 PRCT with both time and money.  He more then any of us keeps the Thunderbolt coming for those that don't have access to a computer.  Wade is the son of Earnest Gilbert who I believe was in the 2nd Batt.  Just called Ben Barrett to confirm this but I talked to his answer machine and it didn't have the answer.  Also thanks to Bob Christie for putting the Thunderbolt together each Quarter.  I am so proud and lucky to be a part of the 517 family.

Florida is playing Georgia in the annual Gator Bowl game in a few minutes so I have to watch it.  This game has been played for years in Jacksonville, Florida and they pack about 82,000 in the Gator Bowl.  To  stay out of trouble with my Georgia friends I will not quote stats, etc.  And for that matter who I will be cheering for.  About half the crowd is from Georgia and half from Florida.  Needless to say the town is over flowing, that's why I am staying home to watch the game.

Darrell Egner President

Frank Ramos

Ben:  Please extend my condolences to the members of the 517th PCRT who served as riflemen under Sgt. Fred Harmon as my brother Ismael Ramos did.  If it were not for Fred Harmon sending those yearly Christmas Cards to my brother and then to my family each year I would have never made the connection to know and eventually meet him in 2004. It was through Fred that I was able to meet you gentlemen and now have the honor to serve you in the 517th Auxiliary as 1st VP.

Frank Ramos
Lud Gibbons

Thanks to Morris McDowell for the email regarding Fred's passing.  Fred was one of my favorites.
He was certainly one of the best.

Lud Gibbons H & I Company

"Mrs. Lucky" (Billie) Hiers

Just read the request from Boom Boom re: our address/es.
He already gave us a lovely response, but we cannot remember when someone we've never met has entrenched himself into our hearts as he has done.  SO... to accommodate his wish:

Lucky Hiers Email Address is LuckyBille2@aol.com
P.O. Box 6014 Dillon, CO 80435

Our other address will not be good for very long.  But that address is:
18304 Gulf Boulevard.
Shore Mariner #103
Redington Shores, FL 33708

The doctors have cleared Lucky to travel and we hope to leave within a week ... for FL, via Berea KY, Richmond, KY, Mt. Vernon, KY, and the Atlanta area to visit two children and five grandchildren (grandchildren were at the DC reunion/without us, and their Dad left for a year in Iraq from DC a week later).
Lord willing and he creeks don't rise ... we'll be back in CO the first week of January.

Thanks, Ben.  Thanks for so many heartwarming things we read in MailCall  We're always touched by those requesting for information regarding their parent, brother, nephew, or niece.

All for now.
"Mrs. Lucky" (Billie)
Claire Giblin

I saw this quote and thought of my favorite vets!
Claire

The following appeared on Boston.com:
Headline: James Taylor says being a Red Sox fan is part of his blood
Date:     October 25, 2007

"James Taylor says he'd rather be behind the mike, guitar in hand,
than on the mound, baseball in hand."

To see this recommendation, click on the link below or cut and paste it
into a Web browser:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/10/25/james_taylor_says_being_a_red_sox_fan_is_part_of_his_blood

Danny Curtis

Ben,
I received this picture from my Mom it is of my Uncle Danny Ogniewski, Co. D.  Does anyone know who the gentlemen named Sam next to my Uncle might be pictured on the mortar launcher. Also second picture (machine gun) Danny on left and unknown trooper on right. These pictures are from North Caroline 1943. Just wondering? Best to all the TROOPERS, and hats off to you for continuing your outstanding efforts with MAILCALL!

[I believe That man to the left of Danny is Wes Samuels -- Robert R Cooper]