From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 9:14 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. `1424 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 5, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Mail for Mail Call has slowed down lately.

Checks for the 517 video should be made out to 517 auxiliary.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Dennis Sura

Ben, a year ago I spent the better part of a hour on the phone with Fred Harmon.  He was able to talk about my father MICHAEL SURA (Cpl. 3rd Bat., H company, 3 platoon) like it was yesterday.  He answered my questions without any hesitation and interjected many stories about people I inquired about.  The troopers I was interested in were dad, George Monkhouse, Manfred Seebeger, and Dick Huggler.  Dad did see Fred at least once at one of the reunions before he died 25 years ago on 11/27/83.

Dennis Sura     dudeed@sbcglobal.net
Ron Burleson

Good morning everyone

I am trying to find a list of the members of the 460 - Battery D
460th PFAB, Battery D
Can anyone help, please?
We believe that my recently deceased father - Claude A. Burleson - was a member.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Burleson
Alexandria, Va.

Bob Christie

Ben, Sharon Lynch, widow of Bob Lynch, is looking for a photograph of her husband.
Her address is: P.O.Box 5005
                       Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Phone: (760)328-2874
John Buchalski

Subject: Burial Ceremony & Flag Folding
VA POLICY CHANGE IS ABOUT FAIRNESS
WASHINGTON (Oct. 31, 2007) â€" The national commander of the
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. is concerned that misinformation
circulating online and in the press is unfairly alleging the Department
of Veterans Affairs has banned the mention of God at funeral ceremonies
in its national cemeteries.
The issue surfaced Monday when it was learned the VA changed its policy
on the reading of an unofficial script that some volunteer honor guards
used during the folding of the American Flag.  One variation of the
script, which is of unknown origin, specifically recognizes God and the
Jewish and Christian religions, but no others, and therein lies the
controversy â€" it violates the establishment clause of the First
Amendment that prohibits the government from favoring or disfavoring
particular religions.

VFW Commander-in-Chief George Lisicki said that neither the U.S. Flag
Code nor federal law assigns any special meaning to each individual fold
of the American Flag as it is tri-folded at retreat ceremonies, military
retirements or veteran funerals.

"There is no government approved or sanctioned script that coincides
with an individual flag fold," explained Lisicki, a Vietnam combat
veteran from Carteret, N.J.  "That means every time the script is read
without the prior approval of next-of-kin, an assumption is being made
by the volunteer honor guard that the deceased is either Jewish or
Christian.  A funeral is too delicate a time to make that assumption."

The change in VA policy now requires next-of-kin to request that the
script be read, and to provide a copy of it to the honor guard.

"Veterans are interred with the religious symbol of their choice on
their burial markers.  Their families invite preachers, priests,
rabbis and imams to lead those in attendance in prayer.  One
additional step added to the funeral arrangement process does not
justify inappropriate allegations that the VA has removed God from
funeral ceremonies," said Lisicki.

"Our Constitution is about fairness and equality.  That's what the
VA's policy change is all about â€" and nothing more."
To view the 39 religions recognized by the VA, go to:
http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hm/hmemb.asp.
-30-

"FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU"

Gene Frice

Take about five minutes of your time and watch this. It is something we
should pass on to all of our friends. It is very inspirational and quite
exceptional.

>http://www.youtube.com/v/QZFkZiwMLZ4
Great! - Ben

Kirk Kirkpatric

My uncle was William R. Walker he died on 2-7-45. I would love to be on list as I just found all his letters and memorabilia. Thanks!

Kirk Kirkpatrick
Lory Curtis

Ben,
   I would be an ungrateful son if I didn't take this opportunity to personally thank all 517th troopers for their service to our country.  Also, all service men and women throughout the world for the sacrifices each of you have made to ensure I have the freedoms I enjoy today.  The Curtis family extends their deepest gratitude to you, and your families on this Veteran's Day.  Your efforts in protecting this country, and keeping our nation great does not go unnoticed.  Thank you!

Lory V. Curtis,Ed.D., MAJ, AV, USA (Ret), son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN