From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:08 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1425 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 07, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Checks for the 517 video should be made  out to 517 auxiliary.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Gene Frice

Ben,
  Another request from the children...a request from "Lois" about her
dad. Looking at the material she sent to me-he may have been in the
13th or some other org and later assigned to the 517 for return to the
US-or assigned to 517 after it arrived at Bragg?
I could not find the 13th Assoc on internet-I have seen it at one time
or another. I noticed from the below that he was assigned to F Co. We
had a Kennedy in F Co (I think), but not him.
  Anyway-below is what she sent me.
  Regards,    Gene Frice
Gene,  Thank you for the quick response.  I thoroughly enjoy reading
the history.  I'm sure with your help we will find the history on my
Dad.  I sent you a fax tonight, around 8:30 P.M.  The only medal I
have is Dads' parachute pin. (silver)  For some reason I always kept
this in my jewelry box, as a child.  I have never cleaned it and do
not plan to.  I want it to keep its' antique look.  I have one 8 by 10
picture of him in uniform.  On his left arm is a patch of a parachute
and a glider above it.  Would Dad have received the unicorn patch,
when he arrived overseas?  I will not place my order until I hear from
you.  Here is the inf, in case you did not receive the fax.

3 years of service.  Dec 11, 1943 to Dec 13, 1946.  Final Cert of Honorable
discharge-James R. Kennedy 33-901-305  TECH FIFTH GRADE (T5).  Troope
E -3rd - calvalry reconndisance squadron.  Separation pt- Fort George
G. Meade, MD Dec 13,1946 ended.  First Honorable discharge certificate
- Private CoF-517 parachute infantry reg.  Fort Bragg N. Carolina Oct
30, 1945.  Dad was paid $50 to reinlist and he did.  A lot of money
back then.   (Gene, keep in mind, my Mom wrote all this down, a few
yrs. ago.  I have no cert.  I'm not sure where she received all the
inf.  Maybe Dad told her all this.  Mom passed away March 4, this yr.
with breast cancer, age 77.  Dad did say one time, he got tangled up
in a parachute with another guy while jumping out of the plane.  I do
not know where this occurred.  I remember him saying, if you did not
jump, you were pushed out.)   I will continue:  Special cert.
qualified parachutist.  Jan 26, 1945.  7 JUMPS.  (SOMEONE TOLD ME IN
TRAINING YOU ONLY NEEDED TO DO 4 JUMPS.  I DO NOT KNOW WHERE DAD
JUMPED THE OTHER 3!!!!)   Service from Dec 11, 1943 to Oct 30, 1945.
Fort Benning, GA.  4 weeks first training armor and
artillery-mechanics sch. Fort Knox Kentucky- (award).  Special letter
from Harry Truman on special service of country & people of U.S.
Special cert of proficiency of armored school-May 25, 1946.  CLEANED
AND TOOK CARE OF WEAPONS.  Cert-Record & report of separation.
Cert-Honorable discharge- World War II Victory Ribbon.  Parachutists
badge-M04M1 rifle badge.  SERVED IN BELGIUM AND FRANCE, DURING WW II.
He spoke some French.  Gene, I pray that this helps you.  I will be
putting a small shadow box on the wall, with Dads, medals, ribbons,
and patches.  I may place his uniform picture above the box.  My 3 boys
and 3 Grandchildren never got to meet him.  Although, Dad, did get to
enjoy my oldest son, as a baby, until he 14 months old.  (then Dad
died, 1st heart attack.  Gone in 3 hours.  Mom was left with 4 kids to
raise)  Good Luck!  Thank you, again for helping me.        Your
Airborne Gal,      Lois

Darrell Egner

This film was made by a 15 year old girl.   The following is the hottest thing on the Internet and on Fox News.

TO:     Ben
FROM: Mike Wells

   On October 28, 2007, my wife and I were hosted in Sospel by 4 very special people; Patricia, Roland, Frederic and Anne-Sophie and 13 fantastic "re-enactors"!!!  We made the acquaintance of Patricia and Roland via the 517th website and when advised that we were planning to visit Sospel, they volunteered to show us around.
   They did more than was expected.  Frederic and Anne-Sophie picked us up in Villefranche and drove us to Sospel, showing us the route of the 517th all along the way. At Col-de-Braus we were met by Roland and Patricia and while we were talking and making new friendships, several restored jeeps, full of men wearing replica WWII uniforms and equipment, appeared from off the mountain!!!  These individuals were all very well versed in the history of the 517th and the actions taken in and around the area.  We will forever be in their debt.  I got to walk where my father once walked, at a time when it was much more hazardous for him to walk there!  And, I will never forget what one of the re-enactors said to me:  "God Bless America."
   There is much more to tell about this visit, but I'll do it when I submit my Father's story to the website.  I'd like to thank Patricia, Roland, Frederic and Anne-Sophie, and all the others involved, for a very memorable time!  Might just have to show up in St. Louis.
   Attached are a couple of photographs from the visit. One shows the switchbacks when my father was there.

Karen Hughes Woods

My name is Karen Hughes Woods. My dad was Robert William Hughes. His nickname was "Kelly". He was with Company C 517th infantry 82nd Airborne. He was from Toledo, Ohio. If anyone knew my dad and can share stories of him during the war, I would love to hear from you. His grandson, my son, Ryan is in the 8th grade and he is writing a report on WWII veterans. Ryan was three years old when my dad died.

Sincerely,
Karen Woods

Pete Jansson  and family

To the 517th family:

Just want to thank all again regarding the reunion last June.  Bert Jansson (dad) is home and worrying about our mom with the alzheimers issues.  Dad wants to thank everyone for the hospitality from that reunion, as do his children.  That was one of the greatest memories Dad, George, and I could take home with us and share with the rest of the extended family.  Thank you all--especially the Barrett family who worked to enable us to have accomodations at the last minute, and, of course, to Mr. Trooper Walsh who spent so much of his time escorting us around that wonderful weekend.  Our family wishes the entire 517th and its' extended family health, happiness, and a great Thanksgiving holiday and more of the same for the new year.  Pete Jansson and family.

Tom Reber

Per Bob Christie's request, here is the updated roster.  The mailing tab is the red tab of the spreadsheet.

I hope everyone is well.

Regards,

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Robert Reber, HQ 3rd

Virginia  Jorgen

Ben, Thought you'd like this
great picture.    Virginia

Breathtaking!  Check out the  picture;
 This awesome picture was taken in the Bitterroot National Forest in
Montana on August 6 by a fire behavior analyst from Fairbanks,
Alaska, by the name of John McColgan, with a Digital camera.

 Since he was working while he took the picture, he cannot sell or
 profit from it, so he should at least be recognized as the
 photographer of this once-in-a-lifetime shot. Please forward this on
 to your email contacts. Maybe someday it will get back to him and we can show him that he has indeed been recognized for his efforts!