From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:29 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1428, 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 11, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.    Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Claire Giblin

Good morning, Ben -

I just wanted to express my Veterans' Day wishes to my favorite vets.  You served your country with valor and honor, at what was the most perilous time in our world's history.  You are truly the greatest generation, and we are still a grateful nation.

At last summer's DC reunion, the most thunderous applause was reserved not for yourselves, and not for any speakers present.  The loudest applause was for our soldiers serving, from you who served.  I know the service members present appreciated that and felt honored by your tribute.

It is truly special to be associated with the 517.

Claire Giblin

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

I wanted to thank my favorite veterans for everything they did for us over 60 years ago.

I also want to thank any veterans from previous wars and especially thank the young men and woman serving in the armed forces today.

The 517th PRCT is a very special unit to me.

Have a great day.

Chris Lindner
From our Belgium friends

Bad weather of November for the ceremonies...

Le message est prêt à être envoyé avec le fichier suivant ou les liens joints :

Jo Anne Gray

Thank you, veterans, for everything you did!

Gene Frice

Ben,
  I certainly recognize the photos. In early 1943, after a year AD
with the CA Guard and discharge from same, due to underage (age 16),
and just shortly before enlisting again, also illegal at age 17, I
worked for several months at the adjacent Burbank Lockheed aircraft
plant. The plant - that in the photo's, existed as the top secret "Skunk
Works." It's mission, was in developing aircraft similar to the German
Meteror (sp) and many other aircraft that did not appear for a number
of years, such as the Blackbird, capable of 700-1,000 mph. The plant,
without the camo, existed until about the 50's. The other plant,
Lockheed, is still there.
  Gene Frice

John Alicki  Regimental Hqs

Subject: (Mail Call # 581 November 10, 2003 )

VETERANS DAY 2003

"What Is A Vet?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he -- is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another -- or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat -- but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade -- riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket -- palsied now and aggravatingly slow -- who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being -- a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

Remember November 11th is Veterans Day!"

by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Jo Anne Gray (Hal Robert's daughter)

Jo Anne Gray (gigharborjo@comcast.net) has sent you an ecard.

To view your ecard, choose from the options below.

Click on the following link:
http://www.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=448387335&m=6904&rr=y&source=ag999

Barney Hekkala

November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day - A good time to say, "Hello" to the Veterans of the 517th Parachute Regimental  Combat Team.

Hope you have had a decent year with another good one coming up.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Kay Mitchell

Ben,
Please add me to the Mail Call List.