From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:07 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1429 517THPRCT-NOVEMBER 13, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.    Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Inadvertently  left out of last Mail Call-Ben

 Kay Mitchell

GEORGE W. MITCHELL

·           He was a former owner of the old Val-Monte Motel, Restaurant and Marina.

·           He fought in World War II and worked as a Sheriff’s Deputy,  FBI Agent and Redstone Arsenal Executive.

·           After his wife’s death, he married the widow of his best friend.

       George W. Mitchell of Gadsden, formerly of Guntersville died Friday, June 22, 2007, in the VA Hospital in Birmingham. He had suffered two heart attacks in 2005 that left him with a lot of heart damage.

      He grew up in Cullman County and graduated from Fairview High School and Jacksonville State University. He served in the U.S. Army in Italy, France, Belgium (Battle of the Bulge), and Germany, as a member of the 596th Parachute Combat Engineer Company with the 517th Parachute Infantry Regimental Combat Team.

       After returning home from the war, he worked as an Alabama State Trooper then as a Sheriff’s Deputy in Etowah County and a FBI Agent in Washington, DC.

Wayne Cross

Ben there are a couple of items on ebay that might be of interest to the 517th community.  The first (search under 503rd Airborne is a WW2 book on the 503rd that was presented to Gen. Lyman Lemintzer by then Col. Walsh, commander of the 503rd.  It is signed by Col. Walsh and contains a photograph of Col. Walsh taped to the front cover.  You might want to pass along to Trooper Walsh.  The other item is an original WW2 helmet from a 517th trooper by the mane of D. Eastman (name on interior of the helmet liner. It is in beautiful condition (with a price to fit the great condition!).  I hope all is well with you Ben and would like to pass along to Col. Alicki that he is in our prayers and we are thinking of him.  Best wishes to all of our finest on Veterans Day!

Jerry Wolford

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/singingman7/TNOTW.htm

Boom Boom Alicki

Hope you have a good Veterans Day!
Saw this video and wanted to share it with you.
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c6ce753f1482b352f5c4

Tony and Donna Iasello

My dad Daniel J. Iasello Sr. died Oct. 2, 2007, a little more than a month short of his 90th birthday.  He was a proud paratrooper who served his country well in World War II.  My brother put a website together honoring his memory.  It includes many pictures of him as a soldier.  He would be happy if we shared it with you.   www.specialplacetosee.com

Sincerely,

Tony Iasello and Donna Iasvello

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

As you can see from the letter I wrote to Frank Ramos this morning I made a mistake on the dates of the St. Louis Reunion.  I pulled up the 517th website and it also has the wrong dates for the reunion in St. Louis. I was hoping you could change the dates on the website.

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Thanks Ben.

Chris
Lois Kennedy

Ben,  I'm in search of an airborne patch with a glider ABOVE the parachute.  It also has airborne printed above it.  My Dad was not a glider.  I am looking at his Army picture as I'm emailing you.  The picture is in black and white.  He's wearing the patch on his left shoulder.  Could you tell me what this signifies?  Is this what the men received after jump school, in Fort Benning, GA.?        Thank you for your help,   Your Airborne Gal

Gene Brissey

Ref: Mail Call 1428: The comments from Claire Giblin and Chris Linder, as well as others brought Veterans Day to Mail Call. The Mail Call brought back memories of years gone by. In November 1944 some of us were high in Alps overlooking Sospel and also looking down at several of our planes flying far below us celebrating Armistice day which has, of course, become Veterans Day. Soon after that day we walked back to an area outside Nice where we had a short rest. This is not news to most of us, just something to give our buddy Ben a little filler for Mail Call. Thanks, Ben for all you do for us.
Gene Brissey

Kent Immerfall

Hi Ben,

I am going back over more than a month of saved emails and opened this one.  If I didn't tell you I could open this back some time ago then I will now.  YES, I was able to open what Mr. Ventura sent and made copies of the items pertaining to Floyd.

Thanks...Kenton

Kent Immerfall

Ben:

I regret that I was amiss to recognize all of you brave men and women who served, so gallantly, our country.  Even though I didn't write to the 517th site, I had Uncle Floyd and all of you in my thoughts as I stood in silence at a Veterans Day dedication this past Saturday.  I attended the ceremony of the "new" Oneida Indian Memorial on the West side of Green Bay.  The Oneida Nation erected a wall that speaks to each of the American wars (beginning with the Revolutionary War) and how their People participated in each event, beginning with the Oneidas bringing food supplies to Washington's troops at Valley Forge.  It made me wonder how many different soldiers, of different cultures, served with the 517th.  So many served their country, some even giving "the full measure," and yet, upon returning home, continued to be treated as less than equal citizens.  Life is a mystery.  Kenton Immerfall