From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:41 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1430 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 15, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion                     .
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

There is a widely circulated email right now suggesting that you send a card, letter, or package to wounded veteran at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

This is a false eRumor.

It suggests sending mail addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier" or addressing it to "Any Wounded Soldier."

The U.S. Postal Service will not process any mail addressed that way and the Walter Reed Army Medical Center will not deliver it.

Since 2001 the Armed Forces have prohibited receiving mail that is not addressed to a particular soldier by name.

It's a security issue.

They do not want letters, cards, or packages being sent into military facilities unless they know who they are from and to whom they are addressed.

If you desire to make a donation to more than 300 organizations  who support our troops, try .www.americasupportsyou.mil

Gene Frice

Lois,
  Not quite away yet-leaving this AM for CA and points south-be gone a
week, but generally take computer with me (Laptop).
  The patch you describe (red in color with white plane and white
parachute) is the Airborne Command-it is generally the command
headquarters and those that do the training (of all kinds). Those
wearing the patch are not generally those going through airborne
training as students-students from all the services, including
foreign. The students do not usually wear that patch as they are there
for only a few days or a few weeks. So, your dad may have been
assigned to the Airborne (Parachute) School after he completed his
jump training.
  The patch is a common one and I think is still in use. Keep looking
but don't pay more than a dollar or more for it. Look up military
items in stores that deal in such.
  Regards,     Gene Frice

A Bill Mauldin Cartoon

Darrell Egner

INCREDIBLE !  The picture was taken in 1918. It is 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa.   A gift from our grandfathers. ..

 Virgina Jorgen

Dear Ben,    I got so excited when I saw those pictures of Lockheed and the camouflaging.   You see, I worked for Lockheed for almost three years during World War II.    I worked on the graveyard shift while I was going to college . I couldn't remember any camouflaging.   Then I found out that the other plant was the one camouflaged.   I worked at the old main plant on San Fernando Road.   The one that was camouflaged, apparently was the one by the airport.

How come our plant wasn't camouflaged?   We were producing war material -- mainly the P-38 Lightening fighter plane and before that the old Hudson Bomber.   I worked on both.   I'm sure there was a lot of other war stuff, too, as that's all they were doing then.   By the way, I was an expediter around the whole plant.

Whatever, it was a very, very interesting article,  what with the pictures and all.   .   Thanks

Take care.      Virginia   Jorgen