From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 7:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1431 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 16, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call buy inserting FYEO .

Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion                     .
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Bob Dalrymple

Ben, The 1918 photo is a great  reminder ! Bob
Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  Interesting picture of Camp Dodge, and the 18,000 World War I soldiers that made up Iowa's lady of liberty we all wanted to see while in Europe, then in August 1945 there she was in New York harbor.  I wasn't sure anyone else knew there was a Camp Dodge, near Des Moines.  It was a big thing for Russ Miller, Dick Spencer, Erv Pinkston  and me.  That is where we were sworn in, read the articles of war, pulled KP, and issued our first army uniforms.  Howard Hensleigh
                                            ***************
More about the photo- Ben

The picture was taken in 1918 as part of a marketing campaign for World War I war bonds, as explained by the Iowa National Guard -

“On a stifling July day in 1918, 18,000 officers and soldiers posed as Lady Liberty on the parade [drill] grounds at Camp Dodge.” [This area was west of Baker St. and is currently the area around building S34 and to the west.] “According to a July 3, 1986, story in the Fort Dodge Messenger, many men fainted-they were dressed in woolen uniforms-as the temperature neared 105 degrees Fahrenheit. The photo, taken from the top of a specially constructed tower by a Chicago photography studio, Mole & Thomas, was intended to help promote the sale of war bonds but was never used.”

Photo by Mole & Thomas (1918)

Barb  Willmart

Ben, we have received numerous emails regarding sending Christmas cards to any wounded soldier.  Who wrote the statement in the last mailcall?  I would like to send a copy of the mailcall to all of our email recipients to inform them of your findings.
Barb Willmart
                                         *****

http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/Lists/WRNews/DispForm.aspx?Id=24&

Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages, letters, and holiday cards addressed to ‘Any Wounded Soldier’ or ‘A Recovering American Soldier’ that Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting “Any Service Member” or “A Recovering American Soldier” letters or packages. Mail to “Any Service Member” that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the “America Supports You” website, www.americasupportsyou.mil

Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded service members and their families include:

http://www.usocares.org/
http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers/
http://www.redcross.org

I think members  who joined the 13th Airborne will be interested in this history. It includes some excellent photos.- Ben

Click on    1949 - History of the 13th Airborne  It is on the website

This document  is a reprint of a chapter from the history of the 13th Airborne Division 1943-1946, as published in 1949.  Good quality reprints of this book can still be ordered from military.com.  We are reprinting here the chapter called "Book VII - 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment", including all text and pictures as they appear in that book.

Note:  We are careful on this website not to print any copyrighted materials, but in this case:

  1. This book lists no copyright
  2. It is being reprinted by others
  3. If there ever was a copyright, it has expired
  4. The 13th book implies that the 13th saw plenty of action, essentially taking credit for the actions of the 517th.
  5. The 517th members were never pleased reporting to untested officers.
  6. The 13th's commanders denied combat decorations for many of the 517th wartime engagements.
  7. This history includes many 517th photos received from John Alicki without giving him any credit, and without returning the photos to him.

Therefore, we think we have the right to claim this material as belonging to the members of the 517th.

Note that 2nd Lieutenant Allan A. Bynon, Jr. of the 517th Parachute Infantry is listed as one of the Associate Editors of the book.  I do not know if he was with the 517th prior to them joining the 13th Airborne.  But the accounts and history do seem accurate and are most likely based on actual morning reports.

The material reprinted here is taken from a copy loaned to us by Allan Goodman of the 596th.

The 517th Combat Team fought throughout WWII as an independent division, and was assigned to the 13th Airborne only at the end of the war on February 15th, 1945.  As stated in the 13th Airborne history:

"...It was during this time that the 517th Combat Team joined the Division and were quartered at Joigny.  This team, composed of the 517th Parachute Infantry, 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion and the 596th Parachute Engineer Company, had already achieved an excellent combat record in Italy, Southern France, and the "Bulge."  As veterans they were a welcome addition to an otherwise untried Division that was momentarily expecting assignment to a combat mission."

The 13th Division was slated for a combat parachute drop in Operation VARSITY but was instead transferred to Corps Reserve because of a lack of transport aircraft. Soon after, the war in Europe ended and the Division stood down. The 13th Airborne (other than the 517th units) never entered combat.

The 13th Airborne returned to Fort Bragg, North Carolina on August 26, 1945 and was officially deactivated on February 25, 1946. The Division has never been reactivated.

Ben

Airborne Jump with Combat Equipment