From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 9:51 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1433 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 19, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion

Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

 Bill Christian

Ben,

As per my email. This is my revised reunion schedule.

Bill

2008 517th PCT

West Coast Party

April 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th

Place: Quality Inn/Palm Springs, CA

Registration: $50.00 per Person

Room: $84.00 + Tax

Dates:

April 13th - Early Registration, Optional

April 14th – Official Registration, Hospitality Suite 140 10AM-10PM

April 15th – Barbeque Buffet on the green for Troopers and their Family

11:30AM- 1:30PM

April 16th – Social Day – Golfing, Shopping, Follies

April 17th – Men’s Business Meeting 10:00AM -11:30AM Conference Room

Farewell Banquet –Dinner and dancing Canyon Country Club

7:00PM – 10:00 PM

April 18th – Check out. Have a safe trip home.

Hospitality Suite open daily in Room 140 10:00AM- 10:00PM

Open bar and daily snacks

Quality Inn

1269 East Palm Canyon Drive

Palm Springs, CA

Phone 1-800-472-4339

Be sure to mention the 517th PCT

Please make registration check payable to William T. Christian (Bill)

Mail to: 17422 Parker Drive Tustin, CA 92780

Questions call (714) 838-0613 or BigZebra@sbcglobal.net

Families and Friends Always Welcome

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Chris Linder -- Although it may seem a small difference, we were not attached to the 13th division, we were made an integral part of the 13th and had the war not ended we would have gone to the invasion of Japan with direct orders coming from its commanding general to Col. Graves.  Thank God for the A bomb.

I doubt if they ever threw out recommendations for decorations, they just denied them or broke them down to a lower level saying we were just doing out jobs.  They sat on recommendations for promotions until the freeze order hit and then it was too late; it stopped them permanently.

The men and officers of the 13th were not unusual; this was the natural result of an outfit such as the 517th, used to as much independence as you can get in the army, and with our combat experience, being placed under the command of a superior command with no combat experience.

We were attached to the 82nd and about every other outfit in the north sector of the Bulge, but not the 13th.

Howard Hensleigh

Jo Anne Gray

Unusual old pictures!

Look closely at the pictures, they are soldiers and sailors.

AWESOME !!!!

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/album11.htm

Steve Markle

First I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Raymond Poe on his recent passing. We have lost another great American.

In regard to Raymond being in the picture of 596, and being in the 14th spot of the 1st row. I do not believe this is Raymond Poe and is Lt Hild. He (Raymond Poe) was a Pvt during the war and the area to the left and right of Colonel Dalrymple (at the time Captain) were his officers. While I do not yet have a complete listing for this picture, I do not have Raymond Poe listed or in any of my listings other than the Christmas 1944 listing of the unit.

Unfortunately I have no other pictures or information on him. He was not in the 1st platoon  (my dads platoon) from what I can tell. Maybe Don Saunders or Hal Roberts could shed some light. I believe Don was in the 3rd platoon.

If the sender has anything that he would like to share on Raymond I would love to include this with other information that I have on my site on the 596 (as well as here on the 517 site).

-Steve-
                                                                             ************
What do you say Bob? He was  standing next to you. -- Ben
Nila Vasquez Gott

Hi all,

I was thrilled to see that picture from Camp Dodge, Iowa in 1918.  My dad is probably in that picture as he was there at that time.  I am lucky to have several items from the camp and his discharge, etc.

He was sent to France but there got the Spanish flu and luckily recovered, although it made him deaf in one ear.  He said they were on mats along the halls of the hospital and dying all around him.  He also said there was a hanging while he was at Camp Dodge of 5 men who were convicted of rape and that the whole camp had to watch. Wish I could find out more about that but I believe it was pretty hush hush.

Thanks to all of you vets, and a special hello to BoomBoom

Nila Vasquez Gott

Hal Beddow

Ben

Here I go here I go again.  This is my e mail address as of yesterday and as of today.  Believe me it's been its has one h--- of a time getting it up and running.

Anyway, here is my new e mail address - airbornehal@bellsouth.net

I sure have missed Mail Call and look forward to reading the new ones yet to come.

Hal Beddow
Gilles Guignard
Hello
Here is a photo of me (on the right) i had never seen, i found it on a website!
i thought id share it with you.
also please have a look at my updated www.dogface45.skyrock.com

all the best gilles

Someone has just signed your guestbook!

Name: Bill Johnston
From: Lowell, MA
E-mail: consulto@comcast.net

I am writing this for my dad, William E. Johnston of Gilmer Texas. He
served in the 676th Medical Collecting Company, which was attached to
the 517th.
  He would like to know if there are any surviving members of the 676th
or are there any fellow 517th soldiers in East Texas
The 676th  Medical was assigned to the First Airborne Task Force. The 517th? - Ben