From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:45 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1434 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 20, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We are trying to find information about the 676 Medical group. They were with the First Airborne Task Force . Anyone know about any connection with the 517.

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct. Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion                     .
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18 2008  ( We will change schedule on website )

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Hal Jeffcoat - Baseball in Wartime

Flave J. Carpenter, I Company - bio

58 photos of D and H Company men

Claire Giblin

Good morning, Ben -

I wanted to extend my wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving to the entire 517 family.

My dad - and I along with him - just discovered the 517 reunions in 1999.  He's been able to catch up with friends, many before they died.  At first I wasn't sure about joining him - I really thought it was more of my dad's domain.  However, I was welcomed in, as anyone interested in the 517 is always welcomed in.  My sons and I have been able to hear history from the mouths of the men who made it.

The best part is the many new friends we've made.  We try to connect with more new people at each gathering.  Then - at the next reunion - they have become "old friends."  My dad (Allan Johnson 596) always comes away from a reunion with more perspectives and different stories - each of you fought a personal war, and Dad has commented that it was different from one hill or tree to the next.

I urge everyone to start making plans now for Kissimmee, Palm Springs and St. Louis.  Each reunion has its own special qualities and unique events.

It's Thanksgiving; time to give thanks.  I am thankful every day for the rich experience of being associated with the 517.  You men and your families are the best.

Claire Giblin

517 Auxiliary/Friends and Family

(the 517 Auxiliary is NOT just for women!  It's for the descendents, family members and friends of the 517!)

Helen Beddow

Ben.........have you seen this picture.  I thought that it was interesting.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and thanks for all that you do for the 517th.  You are the glue to hold us together.

Helen             It was in Mail Call No. 1430-Ben

Steve Henniger

Ben- I read Steve Markle’s comments below and in looking at the pic again I agree with him that the individual is a Lt. I can see the bar on his hat and collar. Uncanny resemblance of Ray.  My apologies to all.

Steve Henninger

Jo Spencer Clark

Dear Howard Hensleigh:  Long time no word.   About Camp Dodge near Des Moines.  My dad who was in WW1 remembered during the flu epidemic during and after WW1, so many soldiers died of the flu and the weather had been sub-zero for so long that the grave diggers  couldn't bury the bodies.  So the victims were stacked up like cordwood against the barracks.  Does that remind you of the Belgium Bulge?  BJ and I are fine and ready for the Holidays.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.  Jo Spencer Clark.

Ronald Stassen
Hi All,

Happy Thanksgiving.

The following is a bit slow to load, but qualifies as ‘just plain nice.’

CURRAHEE

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.

http://www.sgtstrader.org/msg/2006tdm1.html

                    Happy Thanksgiving!
Bill Johnston
Ben:
  Thanks for taking the time. I talked to my Dad and he is excited about finding anything out about the group. He is even considering going to St Louis in June.

Below is his address for the Thunderbolt

Bill Johnston
2661 Highway 154 East
Gilmer, Texas 75645

As soon as I get his email address I will forward it to you for mailcall

-Regards
Bill Johnston

Gregory A. Jeffers

Found this site today. My father Hale C. Jeffers was a proud member of the 517th. He left the states in the middle of 1943 and returned home in august of 1945. Him and a few others had received a 30 day pass to home for signing up to go to the pacific theater. Luckily for all they dropped the bomb while enroute, allowing a safe return. Dad passed away oct. 23 / 2007.
He was 83. If anybody remembers feel free to get in touch. He was always sad that he did'nt make it to the reunion. God bless.
 Gregory A. Jeffers

Hale Jeffers was a member of C Co. - Ben