From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 7:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1442 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 30, 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Heather Fraser Johnson

Hi Ben. This is Heather Johnson. I am Donald Fraser's granddaughter.  I would love to receive the mail call to keep up with the guys. My mom said there were a lot of people writing about g-pa today... we are sad but he lived a long and good life. Thanks so much.
Heather Fraser Johnson

Walter Smith

 Hello again, Ben.

    While I never formally met Officer Fraser, several of my peers in Hq 1st did know him well and always spoke highly of his congenial nature as well as his leadership.  No doubt the three battalions were similar but being in Col. Boyle's battalion,  as a 21 year old, I was soon impressed with the leadership from Col. Boyle down through all officers  that included a true respect of the privates through the  sergeants by the officers.  They  surely earned their respect.  God bless the family of Major Fraser.

Tom Cross

 Dear Nancy, Vanessa, Bonnie and Family:
    I am sorry to learn of Don's passing. I was counting on seeing him at the Florida Mini Reunion so we could talk at length about our mutual experiences and friends just one more time.  He was a natural born leader and an example of what made the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment and the PRCT the elite unit we became in World War II.
    Those of us left in the 517th will miss a true companion and friend.  His memory and deeds will be an inspiration for those that read our unit history and then pass on to others. You too will keep his name, deeds and aura alive.  We will all remember Don Fraser for the wonderful person he was. We, his remaining comrades, salute and say goodbye for now to a wonderful person who enriched our live and leaves wonderful memories .
My Very Best Wishes
Tom Cross
Dick Seitz

To the wonderful Don Fraser Family.  My heartfelt sympathy to each of you. My the Good Lord encircle you in his arms and lift you with warm and heavenly memories to help cope your deep sorrow.  The 517th and our country has lost  another great warrior, a man who gave to his comrade, his family and his country, without hesitation dedication and loyalty.  Don Fraser was a great American, a courageous paratrooper, a respected leader and fine human being.  Don served his country in war and peace, and he served in a truly outstanding manner.  There is no comfort in the final salute to a comrade, except to know that Don now stands at the right hand of God ready and willing to give to him that which he always gave his family and country, himself.  You are in my prayers during your period of deep sorrow. Dick Seitz

Irma, Arnold, Maria and members of CADUSA
Dear Ben, dear friends of 517th group,
Nancy sent an E-mail to us. We are so sad to hear of our dear heroes Don FRASER's passing. Please accept our sincere condolences. Here in Ardenne, we shall never forget him, he came back a few times to visit the Battle Fields and especially in 1992, he was in Soy/Hotton for the dedication of the new monument. 2 years ago for the 60th anniversary, he took part at an other dedication and celebrations in this area. We pray for him and his family. We know that you lost a brother and we think of you with a deep affection. A religious service will be celebrated in ST Jacques church for his Memory. Love from Trois-Ponts. Irma, Arnold, Maria and members of CADUSA

Elieen Broudy Shaw

Hi Ben,
I am Eileen Broudy and have met you at the reunion in Savannah and WA
DC.  I am also sad to hear about the passing of Major Don Fraser as he
was a great friend of my father's.
Please add me to the mailing list
Leenieshaw@aol.com

Thanks,
Eileen Broudy Shaw

Lory Curtis

Ben,

Don Fraser saved my Dad's life at the Battle of the Bulge, and for sure
saved his hands from freezing.  Below is an exert from my book I wrote
about my Dad, and how Major Fraser saved his life.  Major Fraser was a
true American Hero.

"Sometime in early January 1945, while in Belgium during the Battle of
the Bulge, Major Don Fraser, Executive Officer of the First Battalion
was transporting Bud and some other soldiers to another location in his
jeep.  Bud had taken off his gloves because they were soaking wet.
Major Fraser noticed that Bud was trying to keep his hands warm with no
success.  Major Fraser took off his gloves and told Bud, “Here take
these gloves.  I can get more but you can’t.”  Bud was very grateful
and never forgot Major Fraser’s kindness.

Since learning about the glove incident I wanted to know more about it.
I posted an email message on the 517th mailcall site, asking if Major
Fraser was out there and if he remembered the glove incident.  Much to
my surprise the following email was posted to the site on May 27, 2004:

In an email message, Jay Littlefield, Major Don Fraser's grandson wrote
this about the gloves:  “This is Jay, the 20 year old grandson of
Major Don W. Fraser.  I showed him the story that your father
remembered, and my grandfather immediately picked up on it.  He told me
to tell you that the jeep was from Rome, Italy, and he stole it from the
British for Colonel Boyle.  He said that it had no top or windshield.
He also added, “Keogh was my driver, he could see in the dark like a
cat.” He also remembered the glove incident as well.  He wanted me to
tell you that he did get another pair of gloves from Bill Price, the
S-4, and that the wet gloves were placed on the radiator to dry off.  He
was very happy to hear that someone else remembered that jeep and
gloves, etc.  He also added that Airborne units never got many vehicles,
so whenever they would need something they would steal it.  He said that
they just had to paint over the numbers on the bumper and paint 517
instead. On this jeep they had to paint over the British emblem on the
hood as well.  Thank you very much for your email, my grandfather’s
eyes lit up when he read the letter.  It was good to see that he has his
memory so intact.”

On July 19, 2006, at the 517th PRCT reunion in Portland, Oregon, Bud
Curtis and Don Fraser met for the first time since the war.  Both of
these men remembered that day in Belgium when Major Fraser gave Private
Curtis his gloves.  Major Fraser related, “My gosh his fingers were
frozen stiff and I knew he needed my gloves. I could always get more but
he couldn’t.”  To this day and all of his life Bud never forgot this
kindness.  Now these two men had time to talk about their lives,
children, and grandchildren.  It was a great reunion."

Attached is a picture of Major Fraser, I cant seem to get it to paste
here in the email.  Hope you can put it on Mailcall.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Don Fraser, Bud Curtis, Bill Boyle

Juliana Stonis

Hi Ben,

We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the Fraser family.

Juliana Stonis
daughter of John Stonis
A and H companies