From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 7:17 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAILCALL NO.1443 -517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 1, 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Nancy  (Don Fraser's granddaughter ) request that donations in memory of Don Fraser be made to the 517th PRCT   Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stoneheng Lane  Albany, N.Y.12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to Leo Dean 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY 12203   Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

West Coast mini

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Dear Nancy, Vanessa, Bonnie and the rest of Major Don Fraser's Family:
    Words cannot express our sorrow or sympathy on the Major's passing, but we hope you know how very much you are in our thoughts and prayers.  How blessed the men of the 517th, our country and the cause of freedom were by his life, dedication and sacrifices.  My husband Alan, my brother Rick, and sisters, Torie, Nancy and Cache and her husband Joel were to have had the chance to be in his company at last July's reunion.  God bless and keep you.  Most sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Helen and Hal Beddow

Hal and I wish to extend our prayers and sympathy to the Fraser family.  We will certainly miss him at the reunions.  We will always remember his last reunion in DC., but most of all, we will always remember how good Bonnie, Nancy and Vanessa was to him at all of the reunions and their love and pride for him.
Boom Boom Alicki

To the Fraser Family,

  Please accept my sincere sympathy for your sorrow.

  I have communicated with Don for these many years.  Another great soldier, parachutist and leader who will always be remembered.

 Boom Boom Alicki

The Frice girls, Karen, Laurie and Robin

Nancy, Bonnie and Vanessa,

I am so sorry to hear about your father/grandfather.  We enjoyed so much our visits with him in Palm Springs and other reunions.  We have lost another true hero and man of the greatest generation.  May he rest in peace.  Thinking of all of you at this sad time, and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Much love,

The Frice girls, Karen, Laurie and Robin

Wayne Cross

Gentlemen, I am forwarding a 1949 monograph written by a then Captain Bill Smith that was used for instructional purposes at the Advanced Infantry Officers Coarse at Fort Benning.  The monograph is attached in PDF (Acrobat) format and is rather large, so you may want to detach and save it before reading.  My father tells me that Captain Smith was a very good officer who was absorbed into the 517th from the 551st after the battle of the Bulge.  It is a well documented, first hand account of the attacks by the 517th, 551st and 504 in the vicinity of Trois Ponts from January 2-7th.  It would be very interesting to get your collective impressions of the accuracy of the information and the conclusions reached by Captain Smith in the "Lessons learned" portion of his report.

I recently came across a treasure trove of Infantry School monographs written for training purposes by officers that would have been Junior Battalion staff, company and platoon level leaders at the time the actions took place during the War.  The timeframe these accounts were written occurs shortly after the war ended and their intent is to accurately describe the action and then to draw lessons from the manner in which the operations were conducted.  The level of detail as to weather conditions, troop strength, objectives and operational considerations is something you don't ordinarily see in contemporary histories of the battles.  This particular description is of the action around Trois Ponts, Belgium during the Bulge and provides insights on issues that I've seen debated often in history books and amongst the survivors of both the 517th and 551st.

You hear a lot about the fog of war and how the best laid plans can go to hell as battlefield conditions rapidly change, as the enemy acts in unexpected ways, or when simple errors are compounded into tragic consequences.  The Army has always been superior in terms of learning these battlefield lessons.  This report shows the critical importance of proper recon and the ability to issue clear and concise orders.  It also show the importance of being able to anticipate future needs and adapt to changing conditions.

Whatever the personal errors in judgment and execution or the unforeseeable circumstances presented on he battlefield, this monograph is a tribute to the guts and resolve of the infantryman that persevered through all of the terrible suffering of the Bulge to achieve their objectives despite all of the personal challenges.  I look forward to your comments and observations.  Best wishes, Wayne

Chris Anslinger

I am the son-in-law of deceased DONALD G. BARRY (deceased);517th PRCT
Co.G............. DICK SPENCER'S ORIGINAL BATTLING BUZZARD PATCH IS ON

ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT............PLEASE TROOPERS; CHECK IT
OUT.............I BID TO $110;BUT NOW UP TO $300 AND I CAN'T AFFORD
IT!!!

EXPIRES 12-2-07 ROUGHLY AT NOON

HOPE A TROOPER GETS IT INSTEAD OF A COLLECTOR!!

       THANK YOU FOR YOUR HEROIC SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.

                 CHRIS ANSLINGER

                     814-696-3808