From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:13 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1454 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 18. 2007

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com    http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

I will be leaving tomorrow for warmer climate (California ) and snowy climate (Tahoe, NV.)
I will have a laptop with me and should be able to send out Mail Call on  a regular basis., but it may take a few days to get organized Send Mail. Will return next year.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  How blessed we are to have the dedicated devotion and leadership of Irma and Arnold Targnion for preserving the history and memory of our men who sacrificed all that others might live in freedom.  God bless them for their work and you for communicating their efforts so quickly and beautifully.  Alan and I are very grateful.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Bob Hart

Ben, Would you please add my son , Paul Hart,  to the Mail Call list? E-mail address is Sparky3940@Net zero.com  Thank you, Mail call  is a very important part of my life. Bob Hart  Co D 517
Morris  McDowell

Dear Tom Cross/Kathryn March,

I was excited to read about Sgt. David Hines on the Dec. 17 mail call.  I had the pleasure of visiting Belgium with my wife last September, staying with Arnold & Irma Targnion.  On Friday the 28th we drove to the Henri-Chapelle cemetery, at Hombourg Belgium. My Cousin, Pvt. Layton Pippin was temporarily buried there. Upon arriving there I asked Caroline Oliver, the receptionist, for a list of all of the members of the 517 that were buried there.  The list included the name David Hines.  I had heard Sgt. Fred Harmon speak of Sgt. Hines, so I asked to see his grave.  Caroline summoned a gentleman, who arrived with a small pale of sand from (Normandy Beach), a moist sponge, and a beautiful American Flag.  He took us to the grave, where he rubbed the dark sand into the lettering on the grave marker, and then carefully removed the excess sand from the stone.  He then left us alone so we could meditate and take pictures of the grave site.  I stood at attention & paid due respect to Sgt. Hines and all the other brave soldiers who had given the supreme sacrifice.  I was extremely proud to have been associated with the 517 family.  Tom, I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Savannah reunion.   Attached are some pictures I hope you will appreciate. I also have a list of the men of the 517 that are buried in the Henri-Chapelle cemetery if anyone is interested. God Bless the 517 P.R.C.T., Respectfully, Morris McDowell

 Our friend and Vice President, Merle McMorrow,  was at Bastogne  during this ocassion. - Ben

Lettre du Général McAuliffe datée du 24 decembre 1944 :
general Mcauliffe’s letter, dated December 24, 1944
" Merry Christmas "

Headquarters 101st Airborne Division
Office of the Division Commander - 24 December 1944

What's Merry about all this, you ask ? We are fighting - it's cold, we are not home. All true but what has the proud Eagle Division accomplished with its worthy comrades of the 10th Armored Division, the 705th Destroyer Battalion and all the rest ? Just this: We have stopped cold everything that has been thrown at us from the North, East, South and West. We have identifications from four German Panzer Divisions, two German Infantry Divisions and one German Parachute Division. These units spearheading the last desperate German lunge, were headed straight West for key points when
the Eagle Division was hurriedly ordered to stem the advance. How effectively this was done will be written in History; not alone in our Division's glorious History but in World History. The Germans actually did surround us,
their radios blared our doom. Their Commander demanded our surrender in the following impudent arrogance.

December 22nd 1944

To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne,

The fortune of war is changing, This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Ourthe near Ortheuville, have taken
Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompré-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.  There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. Troops from total annihilation: that is honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note. If this proposal should be rejected, one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A.A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. Troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hour's term.
All the serious civilian losses caused by this Artillery fire would not correspond will the well known American humanity.

The German Commander

The German Commander received the following reply:

"To the German Commander:
N U T S !

The American Commander

Allied Troops are counterattacking in Force. We continue to hold Bastogne. By holding Bastogne, we assure the success of the Allied Armies. We know that our Division Commander, General Taylor, will say: " Well done !" We are giving our Country and our loved ones at home a worthy Christmas present and being privileged to take part in this gallant feat of arms are truly making for ourselves a Merry Christmas.

(signed)
McAuliffe,

Commanding.