From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:27 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1457 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 21 , 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

I had a visit with Howard Hensleigh today. Howard wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Howard is fine and very content with his surroundings in the Veterans Center at Menlo Park, CA.

This Mail Call may be incomplete and error prone.  I do not have all resources with me such as a scanner, Morning Reports etc. and this laptop has to get used to me.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Snowbird mini-reunion

Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Irma, Arnold and Maria

Dear Ben,
Dear friends of America,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, our dear friends. God bless you and your family. Hoping that this season brings you every happiness for Christmas and the year 2008; on saturday jan 5th, we shall think of you during the Mass in St Jacques Church and the ceremonies at the 517th monuments. With fondest love. Irma, Arnold, Maria and members of the US Airborne Reception Committee, Trois-Ponts - Belgium.

Danny Ogniewski

To all 517th Troopers and Families,

The Curtis Family would like to send heartfelt best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to all you great GUY'S and your families!   This is a time of year where all your hard work, selfless duty to cause and country, and courage gave all the rest of us Americans the greatest country to celebrate this wonderful time of year. The souls you have lost over this past year will be remembered in our holiday prayers. Best wishes also for a bright and wonderful 2008!
The Curtis Family, Danny Ogniewski Co. "D"

PS, +GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS and their Families+

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

I have a letter I received following a trip our Unit made to Europe in 1999.  You decide if it is worth preserving.  The group paused at one of the abutments as Mr. Dalleur informed the citizens of Stavelot as to the significance of the plaque on the abutment.  Since it was not in English, I asked for a translation.

A Letter from Emile Dalleur Honorary President of the Committee

For

Remembrance of the Battle of Stavelot

October 10, 1999

I hope your recent travel in Belgium was a success and you returned home not too tired. In answer to your request, I am sending you a copy of the speech I had the honor to make on October 2, 1999 in Stavelot. This was made near the remembrance plaque given to our citizens by the 517th Parachute Combat Team. We placed the plaque on the abutment of the bridge over the Ambleve River.

Speech by Mr. Dalleur

Dear American Friends:

The members of the Committee for the Remembrance of the Battle of Stavelot were happy to meet with you here. In particular, we bow to General Seitz and President Merle Mc Morrow.  On January 1, 1945 shock units attached to the 82nd Airborne took position in Stavelot on the right bank of the river Ambleve. They were paratroops from the 517th Parachute Combat Team.

During the night of January 12 to 13 a foot bridge with an inflatable dinghy on the river. When this job was finished, a company crosses the Ambleve and liberates the district named "le puartier du Iks."After that, the general charge was launched. The paratroops got involved in a fight along "routed Vaux Chateau", "route de Wanne", and towards the "Hocken"

Early in the morning the inhabitants of Stavelot perceive silhouettes covered with sheets climbing up to the heights which dominate the town. At the outbreak of hostilities, the paratroops meet with weak resistance but the German resistance become stronger and stronger as the GIs come up to the summit.

Nevertheless, the American troops outflank the enemy defenses and advance toward the villages of "LeVaulx", "Richard" and "Hemmout". During this attack, sappers repair temporarily the bridge’s arch destroyed on December 19 in Stavelot. The work is achieved at the end of the morning. This permitted the armored vehicles to cross the river and bring direct support to the troops fighting on the left bank of the river. So. the whole area of Stavelot was definitely liberated from the German yoke.

But these fights for our liberation and the next ones cost several sacrifices among the American paratroopers. Yet today we retain a touching memory of these brave soldiers. And for you survivors of the Battle of the Bulge, we assure you once more the gratitude from the entire population of Stavelot.

This remembrance plaque you provided to our citizens will recall through the generations, that young men came from distant United States of America to make a significant contribution to our freedom.

God blesses you all, dear American Friends. God blesses the United States of America.

Patti (a friend)

Hi Ben,
Don't worry about my name being on your roster. I have visited your site before and enjoy hearing stories from relatives of those who fought with you. I loved talking to my Dad about WWII and this is a bit nostalgic to me! I am sad to see some of your comrades who have passed on, it must be like losing a member of your family. I especially enjoyed the Christmas song (Mary, Did You Know),
it's one of my favorites of the season!
Patti

Howard Hensleigh

Great that you had a safe and quick trip.  Thanks for coming to see an old vet.  Love,  HH

P. S.  I should add that its great that two old vets and a next generation rep. come to see another old vet.  HH

Henry Phillips

Hello,

 I have been searching for a photo of the Malmedy Memorial wall that shows the name Peter Robert Phillips. Would you know of any such photo or how I could obtain one?
Thank You

Guest Book Entry

Name: Darrell Hickman