From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:58 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1458 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 22, 2007

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

This Mail Call may be incomplete and error prone.I do not have all resources with me such as a scanner, Morning Reports etc. and This laptop has to get use to me.I will be in Tahoe until next year.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Claire Giblin

Hi Ben -

The new issue of the Thunderbolt is out and I am happy to see Darrell Egner's front-page piece about the upcoming St. Louis reunion!  Chris Lindner is working hard on this - has been for months - and it promises to be a great time!

We are looking forward to reunion season: Kissimmee in January, Palm Springs in April, and St. Louis in June.  Bring the next generation and the one after that!

Best wishes to the entire 517 family for safe travels and a happy, healthy holiday season.

Claire Giblin

Dick Seitz

For Kathy March.  Kathy,  I commend your interest in the WWII combat operations of the great 517th.  From you E mail to Ben you have demonstrated that you have considerable knowledge of what the 2nd Battalion.  You had several questions in your E mail and time moves along, and I recall incidents I will contact you.  Soissons is a town about 50 miles north of Paris.  The town was the location of some difficult and important battles between the French And Germans in World war One.  The German attack in the Bulge started 16 December.  The 2nd Bn was attached to the 30th Div on Christmas Day 1944.   Task Force Seitz was a unit formed when the 2nd was attached to the 7th Armor Div.  The task force was made up of the 2nd Bn, a tank Company from the 8th Armor , an Engineer Company from the 7th Ar and various other units from the 7th Ar. That is the end of questions for this time. I want to call your attention to a very important and daring operation that David Hines and Gene Brissey, as members of E Co were involved in.  That was the attack of La Rouquette at night across the Var river.  This operation was one the most daring and successful operations of the 517th during the war.  Kathy, I have run out of memory for the time being and will close by wishing you and you wonderful family a Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with all the hopes and dreams you have.  Airborne all the way!  Dick Seitz

June Huffman

Happy Holidays to you and yours!   The new thunderbolt is great!     Good job.  I have read and enjoyed hearing from all of our TROOPER buddies.  God speed to one and all ,   June  Huffman.

 Richard Hammel

RICHARD HAMMEL
hammel@coastalnet.com
I want to wish everyone a Merry  Christmas and a Happy New Year.     I will never forget my Christmases while in the
517.   In 43 I was home recovering from a broken ankle from my second jump,  In 44 spent it on a road block with my bazooka and several other men in the snow.  During the next 20 years of service I only was away from my family one time during the
holidays.
                                   Richard L Hammel , Company  E

The Paratrooper's Prayer
Chaplain Terry Austin, Advanced Airborne School, Fort Bragg

Heavenly Father, hear my call; for through the sky I will soon fall. Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door, I pray for your will, nothing less, nothing more. One thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four . . . My canopy fill 'fore I count any more. Give me courage, in the midst of my fear, to enjoy your world's beauty from way up here. From jumpers and obstacles float me clear, and safely to the drop zone help me steer. Feet and knees together, preparing myself to land, never more aware that I'm secure within your hand. Guide and help me, as I quickly get to my feet, to conquer every obstacle 'til the mission is complete. In our Lord's name I shall forever pray, because I'm Airborne and Prayerborne all the way. AMEN