From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:47 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1459 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 23, 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

You must notify me when you change email address.

Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  My thanks to Merle McMorrow for including the letter and speech of Mr. Dalleur regarding the liberation of the Stavelot area.  This was my first view of our 3rd Bn. attack south of Stavelot as seen by Belgian eyes.  We did not know that anyone was watching, but we can imagine that seeing those troopers cross several hundred yards of open space and overcome the enemy resistance at the crest of the ridge that rose from the river, must have been a pleasant sight after years of occupation, liberation and then a re-entry of the German forces into their Stavelot.

It is difficult to overemphasize the importance of Stavelot to the 517th and to the Battle of the Bulge generally.  It was here that Col. Peiper, the SS tank commander and butcher of the Malmedy Massacre whose objective was to spearhead the drive to Antwerp, was stopped.   If he had been able to reach the ammo and gasoline dump near Stavelot he might have made it.  Some resourceful Americans blew up the dump and blew some bridges that brought him to the end of his thrust into Belgium.

Higher headquarters then ordered a large scale attack across a broad front to push the Germans back.  The third Bn. was to be at the center of that attack to cross the Ambleve River at Stavelot.  I have written about this attack in many contexts -- here was where the 596th waded that icy river and built a bridge so we could cross and attack, where Bob Reber, our 81mm mortar platoon leader was critically wounded, where Paxton put a cow that was a mortar casualty out of her misery and the troops had beef steak for a change, where we attacked and took our 13 phase line objectives on time as ordered and the 75th and 30th Divisions didn't take theirs, where Sgt. Kichin's G Co. squad and I went out on the 13th phase line to make contact with the 30th and the 75th and made contact with German units instead.  This attack and the taking of Manhay were two of the 3rd Battalion's major achievements in turning the Bulge around.  We took a lot of casualties, but we did what higher headquarters expected of us and with our assistance first the 30th and then the 75th belatedly came up on line.

The entire combat team later enjoyed a brief rest in Stavelot before pushing on to other objectives.  We  had hot chow for a few days and a Stavelot baker loaned the 3rd Bn. his ovens for apple cobbler, hot biscuits, and well done roasts twice a day.  I drew rations for a battalion.  Our battalions were smaller than line outfits and at that time we were at about half strength, so a full ration for a battalion gave us fresh meat twice a day.

If any of the inhabitants of Stavelot are listening, I still love the place.  Howard Hensleigh

Richard and Katherine Wheeler

Richard H. Wheeler -
460th Prct FA Bn - Bty B

Katherine and I wish all a Merry Christmas and a God Blessed New Year.

Richard H. and Katherine Wheeler

Richard Hammel

RICHARD HAMMEL
I want to wish everyone a Merry  Christmas and a Happy New Year.     I will never forget my Christmases while in the
517.   In 43, I was home recovering from a broken ankle from my second jump.  In 44, spent it on a road block with my bazooka and several other men in the snow. . During the next 20 years of service I only was away from my family one time during the holidays.
                                   Richard L Hammel , Company  E

Bill J ??

Ben:

Below is the email address of my dad: He would like to added to the mail call list.

He served is the medical collecting company (gliders)  in southern France and was attached to the 517th.

His email is: verline@wmconnect.com

- Bill J

 Jesse and Lou Darden

Ben, This is to let you know that we have moved to
Cedar Park, TX.  Right now we are staying with our
daughter, Kristie, & her family.  Our apartment should
be ready shortly after the 1st of the year.  For now
we can be reached at the following e-mail address:
redneck642000@yahoo.com.  If anyone should wish to
contact us.  Kristie's address is 208 Banyon Cove,
Cedar Park, TX 78613.  My cell phone is still active &
the # is 918-421-9141.  May you all have Happy
Holidays. As soon as possible I will get the permanent
information to you. Oh yes, we got out of Oklahoma
before the ice & snow came, but only by 2 days. HaHa.
Love, Jesse & Lou Darden

Another version of Paratroopers Prayer

Traditional Paratrooper Prayer
GAWD! PLEASE! Get me out of this and I swear I will never have another drink and I will go to church and I will never again lust after another woman! Please! GAWD! HELP ME!
Frank Reilly (Doc) 269th Avn Bn "67
116th AHC CuChi