From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:17 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1461 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 27, 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Sheila Goodman Shultz

Merry Christmas Ben and all of you who keep the information coming and available so that we can see what it took to secure our freedoms.  I am the daughter of Howard B. Goodman from Service Company and I am proud of his memory and I am proud of each of you.  I too am an Army Veteran and I know freedom definitely is not free.  Thank you and bless each one of you on this Christmas Eve 2007.  Did I say THANK YOU for making my life what it is today.
Sheila Goodman Shultz

Eddy Monfort

Dear Friends,

We wish you A MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR
full joy and good health.

I'm including a photo of my new family.

The boy in the center is my son Raphel - 5 years old.

My girl friend Carine with her two girls - Lea (8 years old) and Presilia
(2 years old.).

I stay in touch,

Marvelous Christmas, with all our best wishes from Belgium,

Eddy & Family

Tom McAvoy

Recently someone wrote to you asking if, when we left Naples Italy if we were on LCIs  or LCTs  to go to Chetaveckia,  disembark and go in to combat as ground infantry.  I was there and we were on LCIs.   I remember that well.  The Navy men told us if we were hungry to help ourselves to the canned rations stored on deck (right next to us).  We were always hungry, so out came the bayonets, and we feasted on several cases of it.  On arrival  Chetaveckia ( I know I misspelled that) we were taken by 2&1/2 ton Army trucks to central Italy to where the combat was.  As we disembarked, the trucks were issued our rifles and 3 rounds of ammo each.  Every man said the same thing.  WHAT IS THIS?  3 rounds and we are going into  combat?  Oh don't worry, you are going into a quiet area.  We will resupply you tomorrow  with all the ammo you want.   And they did.  Tom McAvoy

Steve Gomez

Ben, you had a request from Henry Phillips for a photo from the Malmady memorial wall. Attached is the name he wanted. I took this photo on the 60th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge with the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team who performed a jump next to the Mardisson memorial in Bastogne. Later that same day we were fortunate to tour the museum that had been set up in Manhay. My son was 14 and received an education on the history of the conflict that was priceless.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the 517th and their families!

Steve Gomez

(Drawing by Ben Gomez)

Henry Phillips

Ben,
           Thank you ever so much. This means a great deal to me. It was only recently that my son and I discovered this information. I had a copy of my Uncle's obit and it matched the date Dec. 17, 1944. I have been seeking this picture since then. Please thank Steve and his son for me.

         Again thank you,
                                    Henry Phillips