From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:00 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1462 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 29, 2007
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,
Steve Markle sent me the French magazine Armes Militaria Magazine

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article) Click on article to read a history of the 517th in Southern France by Frederic Brega.  The story is all in French, but there are some excellent photos and high school french along with what you already know about the action should enable you to get the jist of the story.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

 From The Living Medal of Honor Recipients Site

moh_army.gif (14215 bytes)

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor

BIDDLE, MELVIN E.

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company B, 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Place and date: Near Soy, Belgium, 23-24 December 1944. Entered service at: Anderson, Ind. Birth: Daleville, Ind. G.O. No.. 95, 30 October 1945.

Citation:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy near Soy, Belgium, on 23 and 24 December 1944. Serving as lead scout during an attack to relieve the enemy-encircled town of Hotton, he aggressively penetrated a densely wooded area, advanced 400 yards until he came within range of intense enemy rifle fire, and within 20 yards of enemy positions killed 3 snipers with unerring marksmanship. Courageously continuing his advance an additional 200 yards, he discovered a hostile machinegun position and dispatched its 2 occupants. He then located the approximate position of a well-concealed enemy machinegun nest, and crawling forward threw hand grenades which killed two Germans and fatally wounded a third. After signaling his company to advance, he entered a determined line of enemy defense, coolly and deliberately shifted his position, and shot 3 more enemy soldiers. Undaunted by enemy fire, he crawled within 20 yards of a machinegun nest, tossed his last hand grenade into the position, and after the explosion charged the emplacement firing his rifle. When night fell, he scouted enemy positions alone for several hours and returned with valuable information which enabled our attacking infantry and armor to knock out 2 enemy tanks. At daybreak he again led the advance and, when flanking elements were pinned down by enemy fire, without hesitation made his way toward a hostile machinegun position and from a distance of 50 yards killed the crew and 2 supporting riflemen. The remainder of the enemy, finding themselves without automatic weapon support, fled panic stricken. Pfc. Biddle's intrepid courage and superb daring during his 20-hour action enabled his battalion to break the enemy grasp on Hotton with a minimum of casualties.

Betty Traver

Ben,
Myrle spent Christmas in the hospital with pneumonia.  I brought him home yesterday and he is recovering just fine.  The doctors have loaded him up with steroids and antibiotics to keep him going.  Myrle says that he is a survivor and it is hard to keep a good man down.  Have a wonderful New Year and good wishes for all of the 517th men and their families.  Ben, Myrle and I enjoy the emails  and we thank you for all the time you spend sorting and putting it together for all of us to keep in touch.  Myrle never talked much about his war experiences until we attend our first reunion and I have learned so much from reading the Mail Call.  Thank you,  Betty Traver
F. Co.

 Ronald Stassen

Hello Ben,

Hope all is fine with you and the others.

Here is a picture from Margraten i took the day before Christmas.

I wish every body a Happy and above all a Healthy New Year.

All the best

Ronald
                             **************
      101 ABN DIV ????????  NO Way -- Ben

Lud Gibbons

Marty Donahoo & I attended Harland "Bud" Curtis memorial services Thursday 27th.  He was a fortunate man to have such a wonderful family.

     Lud Gibbons H&I

Steve Markle

Here is one more item of interest;

This is a digital version of the Thunderbolt originally published in August of 1943 to the troops and was reproduced for one of the reunions that my mom and dad went to...

Bob/Ben... feel free to "lift" this from my site for the 517 site. If you need the source files, let me know.

-Steve-

Kim Little

My name is Kim Little, and I was looking up my Uncle Joe on the Internet. I am the great niece of Fernando Olivas, and my uncle, Joseph Pastran was listed as asking for more information on my great uncle as well. He was requesting a copy of the Thunderbolt. He does have a new address, 2931 Lotno Drive, Bend, Oregon, 97701, and I would also be interested, if at all possible, in more information. My address is 22525 4th St., Hayward, CA 94541

Thanks for any help that you can give me, and Happy New Year!

Kimi
"Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas."
It would be helpful to have more information, such as battalions or companies that they served with - Ben