From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:59 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1472 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 12,2008
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

I have a message from John Bucalski, Boom Boom's nephew, and I know from my own experience that his message reads loud and clear. There are benefits out there but you need help of veterans organization or a Philadelphia lawyer to get through the paper work.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

From Mickael, Eric Airborne museum - Le MUY FRANCE
and all your friends of southern France

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU "BOOM BOOM" !
Dear John,you are remembered in our hearts, our Museum, our country , and all the bridges and roads that you blow out with your platoon too  !!!    ha ha ha !
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

                                                       Boom Boom                   Eric

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  would you please share with Boom Boom, Alan's and my best wishes for a grand Happy 91st Birthday.  May he be blessed in every way.  We are very grateful to be the beneficiaries of his dedication to this country, his commitment to freedom for all and his unending love and devotion to the men of the 517th and their families.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben

I WOULD LIKE TO WISH BOOM BOOM A VERY BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Rick had surgery Tuesday so we have been watching a little more TV lately.  I had taped the movies Ken Burns did on WWII so Rick and I have been watching them.

There are no words that I can say that would describe how we felt watching these movies.

ALL OF YOU VETERANS ARE DEFINITELY

"THE GREATEST GENERATION"!!!!!!!!!!

I also feel gratitude to all of the men and women in the armed forces through all generations.

Chris Lindner
Tom McAvoy

You never know when belonging to the 517  will pay off.  I was pulled over the other nite by a city policeman.  He claims he saw a violation, I did not see, or knew of.  When he gets up to my car,  he sees my 517 cap with the Airborne logo on it  and forgets what he pulled me over for and says  ARE YOU AIRBORNE, Yes I am the 517, He claims he was a member of the 82nd Airborne and jumped into Panama.  So we had a nice conversation about our experiences,  My goodness last nite our large  TV in the family room and front room goes on the blink, We call the Cable provider and they send out a couple of young men, They see my Airborne Mail Box with the 517 on it and one of them says he saw it and was in the 501.  So right now I say you don't look old enough to have been in the 501  friend.  Quickly he says The 501 was reactivated and he did his time there, but only got his qualifying jumps in to get his wings.  Another time in Chicago O'Hare Airport a young man came up and claimed he had been in the airborne, (I wear small Paratrooper wings on my dress suite) I ask this guy how many jumps did you make  and he was kind of apologetic  saying  I know not as many as you. I only got 300 in.  Goodness  Surprise  Surprise  I told him   I only got 13 jumps in including a combat jump into France in WW II .  Tom McAvoy

Juliana Stonis

Happy Birthday Boom Boom.

Best Wishes,
Juliana Stonis
daughter of John Stonis
Company A and H

Happy Birthday Boom Boom,
All the Best,
the Richard J Mitacek Family.
Wife Barbara,
Children; Rich, Tim, Janet, Charlie, Tom, Clare, Irene, Joe, Jim, Mary and Peter.

Bill Boyle

 I think you will see Babbie , but events prevent
me. This was to have been my last long trip,
but I think not now and perhaps never.  At 90
I can not complain.   We all go sometime. Have a
 good  Reunion.
                    Bill

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Hi Ben,

your email arrive at the moment where we think about to attend your reunion in 2008.
You are very nice to invite us with all of you. Our stay with you in Savannah in 2005 was, for us, a very moving moment. You all were so kind with us.
It will be a pleasure to see you again, of course.
We have to see several things as if it is possible to be in free work (holidays) at this period of the year.

If we go to USA, we will stay longer to visit your country and Powell's family.

Could you tell you our answer later ?
thanks so much, Ben.

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Virginia Jorgen

I want to wish Boom Boom a very happy birthday.   Boom Boom is the one whom I first contacted about the 517th.   I saw his name on your website and it sounded as if my husband, Lt. Andy Jorgen, had mentioned him at some time.    Boom Boom helped me so much in finding things and we've corresponded ever since.   It has been really great.    He is such a wonderful man.  His book that he wrote is so great too. He sent me a copy.     All my friends and my kids know all about Boom Boom too.    They are all praying for him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOOM

Betty Traver

Ben

I brought Myrle home today from the Mike O' Callihan Federal Hospital at the Nellis Airforce Base.  He has to take it easy for awhile and try to get his strength back.  Thanks for everyone's prayers and good wishes.  I met Kathy McIntosh at the Sunrise hospital here in Vegas.  Thanks for the inquiry, Kathy.

Betty Traver

JOHN F. BUCHALSKI

Good Morning:
Please feel free to pass along to any veteran from our recent wars.
JOHN................

I am writing to you as a fellow combat vet, who did his stint in the
military and Veteran's Hospitals. I had no idea of what the future held
for me after my military service.  For the next few years people will be
saying, "Thank you for your service." It will probably embarrass you as
it has me. It makes those people feel better because they have no idea
of what we have gone through and have no idea of what to say to you. To
tell you the truth I don't know what to say back to them either. Usually
I say "yeah" or say nothing. Our experience in combat is so distant from
what most Americans know, you will just get frustrated if you try and
explain anything to them.

Sometime in the next thirty years you will realize that the only people
who have an understanding of our combat experience are other vets. You
will be talking to some guy at the VA who is thirty or forty years older
and he will know what is going on with you when thoughts of combat start
jumping into the front of your mind and they will. I have been talking
to a WW II or Korean War vet and it feels like we are both eighteen
again, because the trauma of combat happened to both of us when we were
that age.

Right now the whole Nation is on your side. Politicians love you and the
President showers you with praise. I am sorry to tell you that this will
end. The only people that are really there for you are your close family
and other vets. Washington is constantly trying to save money by cutting
Veteran benefits. President Bush and his administration have cut veteran
medical care by over $1.8 billion. Congress knows about this shortfall
and they wanted to fix it, but they had to go home for the July 4th
holiday and left the veteran hanging until they get back.

Veterans from past wars have had to band together and form groups to
lobby Congress and the White House so that we get the help we do today.
That is why there is the DAV, VFW, AM Vets, Blind Vets, Paralyzed Vets,
MCL, Vietnam Vets, Gulf War Vets, and many more.

These groups formed because Washington stopped keeping promises to care
for those who fought for America. If Veterans couldn't vote, we would
have nothing.  If you are severely wounded, the American Government will
help you out. The money they give you will not make you rich or even
middle class, but if you watch what you spend, you will have enough for
food and shelter.

I want to tell you some things about the Veterans Administration and the
medical care you will be dealing with for the rest of your life. First
the good part. The people who work at the various Medical Centers are
great. The doctors, nurses, people who clean the halls, security, and
the guy who plants the flowers and cuts the grass are all there because
they want to be and they truly want to help you, the veteran. You will
find that many are veterans too, but that makes no difference because
everybody there is out to help you.

The people working at the VA do the best they can with budgets that are
cut, old equipment, out-dated facilities, and an Administration that is
constantly trying to get them to save money.  Remember that, because time
at the VA can get very frustrating.

The bad part is that getting help from the VA is a game that can cost
you your life. You will find that all of those Veteran Organizations are
your advocate. There are a few Senators and Representatives that will go
to bat for you, but for sure they are in the minority. Your best bet is
to learn how to play the game from other vets. They can save you from
beating your head against the wall. Also keep in mind that the Veterans
Administration loves to make you nuts with paper work, forms, and
appeals.

Today, our new veterans (Gulf and Iraq War) are working on getting their
body back to the best it can be, depending on what happened to you. For
the rest of your life you will be working on your mind. You have been to
combat and that changes you. Everything you saw, heard, and experienced
in combat was experienced by other vets too. Never exactly like what
happened to you, but close enough so that other veterans are at least
able to understand where you are coming from.

Other veterans, the DAV and VFW were nice enough to give me their time
and understanding in obtaining medical help through the Veterans
Administration.

Like it or not you have joined a new club.
It is up to you to make the best of it you can. There are thousands and
thousands of Americans from every war we have had who are willing to
help you out in any way they can and some of them will need your help.

So, I will say thanks for what you did for our country. I won't bullshit
you though, the next few years are going to be harder than any time in
your life. You have to learn how to become a civilian again. Old friends
won't seem the same and so many things that people worry about will seem
trivial after what you have been through.
If you have a wife or husband, clue them in about the VA and seek help
from the local DAV or other service orgaization in your area.

America is a wonderful country and I would be there in a heart beat if
it needed my protection again and I know you feel the same. Right now
the best thing you can do for your country is making yourself as whole
as you can. Take your war experience and use it to self-motivate your
life in a direction that can bring you happiness. You earned it!

Semper Fi,
JOHN F. BUCHALSKI
USMC & USAF (RET)

"FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU"