From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 8:39 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1476 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 18, 2008

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203
You must notify me when you change email address.

Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL
Jan 20-24, 2008

Banquet Jan. 23

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

The 551st Attack on Trois Ponts, 2-7 Jan 1945
River Crossing and Attack at La Roquette, 27-28 August 1944
Howard B. Goodman, Service Company

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  My highest regards and condolences to Mary Priest and the rest of Tommy Priest's family.  Thank you, Bill Webb for keeping us informed.

Tommy and his communications section, without fuss or feathers always kept the third battalion hooked up with wire and radios.  He knew his stuff and had the respect of his men and the rest of the battalion.  The universally loved Capt. Joe McGeever thought highly enough of him to make him the executive officer of headquarters third where he tended to the business of making the company run smoothly while Capt. Mac circulated more freely throughout the entire battalion and beyond.  No matter how bad the circumstances, Tommy was always cheerful and well composed.  He was an inspiration to all of us.

There is always at least one incident in every reunion worth the whole trip.  Seeing Tommy at Savannah made it all worthwhile.  This was the first time we had seen each other since we broke up after the War.  He was still married to the same Mary we knew at Camp Mackall and had experienced a gratifying career as a General Electric engineer.

Again my highest regards to the family and we will be with you as you celebrate Tommy's life and accomplishments.

Howard Hensleigh

Jim Royer

Ben, Sorry to hear the news from Bill
Webb about the passing of Lt. Tom Priest. He was a great officer in Hq.
3rd. Had the pleasure of talking with him at the few reunions he
attended. Our prayers are with the members of his family. Thanks, Bill
for keeping us informed.
                                         Jim Royer

Adriannia Polk

Ben,

I try to send the following to Gatormsc@aol.com  -- asking about John Dykes but it came back.  Is the address in Mail Call wrong?

My husband, Floyd L. Polk, Co. D was a very good friend of your Uncle and I still keep in touch with Rudine.  We spent many years visiting each others home.  When Josh was in the retirement home, Floyd visited him -- Josh hadn't spoken to any of his family members for a long time but when Floyd shook his hand and asked "Do you know who I am?"  -- without any hesitation Josh said "Floyd" -- that is the power of the 517th!!!  We had great times going together to the FSU and Gator football games and to the many 517th Reunions.

You may already know the following:

Go to the 517th web.site -- www.517prct.org
1] click on 517th Attack
2] click on How to find information about 517th soldier
3] click on Search Page -- printed in red letters
4] type Floyd L. Polk
5] Under Document Title - Floyd L. Polk you will find a picture of my husband with Josh

You can also type in Josh Dykes and see if you can find any information about him.

From Adrianna L. Polk flip@strato.net

 Billie Hiers

Thanks, Ben.
Lucky sez he is shooting for 90!  Hope he makes it...or a while longer.
Billie
Jerry Wolfford

'The Pledge of Allegiance' - by Senator John McCain

"As you may know, I spent five and one half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many as 30 to 40 men to a room.

This was, as you can imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs 10,000 miles from home.

One of the men who moved into my room was a young man named Mike Christian.

Mike came from a small town near Selma , Alabama He didn't wear a pair of shoes until he was 13 years old. At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later earned a commission by going to Officer Training School Then he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured in 1967. Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the opportunities this country and our military provide for people who want to work and want to succeed.

As part of the change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to receive packages from home. In some of these packages were handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of clothing.

Mike got himself a bamboo needle. Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag and sewed it on the inside of his shirt.

Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of soup, we would hang Mike's shirt on the wall of the cell and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I know the Pledge of Allegiance may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can assure you that in that stark cell it was indeed the most important and meaningful event.

One day the Vietnamese searched our cell, as they did periodically, and discovered Mike's shirt with the flag sewn inside, and removed it.

That evening they returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of all of us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of hours. Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in. We cleaned him up as well as we could.

The cell in which we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept. Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the room.

As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes almost shut from the beating he had received, making another American flag. He was not making the flag because it made Mike Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew how important it was to us to be able to Pledge our allegiance to our flag and country.

So the next time you say the Pledge of Allegiance, you must never forget the sacrifice and courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our nation and promote freedom around the world.  You must remember our duty, our honor, and our country."

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for  which it stands, one nation  under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."