From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1483 517TH PRCT - JANUARY 30, 2008

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

 You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

 Bernice Cook

Ben- Charlie was notified that Clifford Marchand a member of the 460th-D Battery passed away on January 12th, 2008.

This obituary was in The Columbia Basin Herald Newspaper.

"Clifford Arthur Marchand, 83, longtime Moses Lake resident, passed away Saturday, Jan. 12, 2008, at his home in Moses Lake. Memorial services with military honors will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, at Kayser's Chapel of Memories with Pastor Dave."

The last time he was at a reunion was in North Dakota.

Bernice Cook

mickael , Eric, town of Le Muy
 Airborne Museum
Le Muy France
Hi Ben,

We still in touch by the mail call and continue our task to preserve, cherish and perpetuate for the new generation all Airborne documents, photos and souvenirs artifacts found or donated by airbornes veterans since more than 15th years now, and I will try to sent you some photos of 517th members or family visits and donations after all these years if you have room on the web site..
If you agree please let me know .
 we think that after all these years many of you came and visited the museum, but some never have the possibility and that will be good to have a brief display of it in the 517th Web site .
The last donation was from Bob Dodds jr, son of paratrooper bob Dodds/3rd Bn.517th, he agree and will be happy to have the photos of the donation on the web site if you think it's a good idea.
keep in touch
warmest regards
Mickael,
                                              ****************
This email was lost for awhile. We will always welcome any ideas from our French friends at the museum and we will place photos on the website.-Ben

Darrell Egner

Donna

Received your attachments today and I could not find anything wrong.  You do good work and your attention to details is really super.  You Chris and Bev work very well together.  Sure makes my life easier.

Donna I will be coming in on June 23, 2008 and will stay in the Complimentary Parlor Suite that the hotel is providing.  Hopefully it will have a Conference table next to the sleeping room.  I suspect I will hold about six meetings for about 7 people each meeting.  I also noted in the contract with the hotel the AFR will have a Suite for the same 7 days.  My question is can you handle my reservation or should I call the hotel?

The three of us are so happy to have you on board, your doing a great job and taking a big load off my two Girls.

Regards,

Darrell Egner
President
Donna Lee-AFR
"Donna P. Lee" <DonnaLee@afri.com> wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments!

It would be best for you to make your own reservation for a standard room, just as if you were a regular reunion attendee staying in a standard type room, paying the group rate.  About 2-3 months before the reunion, I’ll send the three of you a big detailed letter with lots of questions regarding hotel set-ups, complimentary rooms, etc.  After we go over it, I’ll forward the hotel a list of upgrades, including yours.  This way, the hotel has exact room requests (smoking/nons, king/double), along with exact dates, and credit card number for guarantee, all coming directly from you.  Then, like I said, I will make sure closer to time, that your room reservation is upgraded to the complimentary suite.

I’ll wait to hear back from Chris to make sure she’s in agreement that we’re ready to go to press.  Then, I’ll send Mr. Barrett PDF files of all 3 documents.

Donna
Chris Lindner
Hi Donna:

Sorry I am late today.  I have been gone since 9:00 a.m. and just got home.

EVERY THING LOOKS GREAT-------IT IS TIME TO SEND IT TO BEN BARRETT TO PUT IN MAIL CALL.

Thanks for everything Donna, I appreciate all that you have done.

Chris
Rick Sweet

Hi Ben ,
    Is there a web site where I could view the morning reports for myself? That would be interesting. I recently bought a book about the 13th airborne. Of course the most interesting thing for me was the segments about the 517th and 2 pictures of my dad. I searched for his name and could not find it although I found a Ben Sweet.  I will look again because I am trying to find out where dad went after his service with the 517th.  He is on the Victory ship with the rest of the returning 517th but I am not sure if he was with the 504th E co or the 13th airborne after the 517th was merged with the 13th.  I kind of feel sorry for the 13th because they wanted to prove themselves in battle and kept losing their chance but then again they didn't have to experience the horrors of war either and were lucky for that.  I will keep looking and thank all of you for helping fill in the blanks.  Howard Hensleigh really helped me a lot and the things that he told me made me proud of my dad. Thanks Ben....Rick Sweet

Dennis Sura

Ben my father Michael Sura mentioned Sweet at times.  He was wounded along with Dick Hugglar on 2/6/45 outside of Bergstein, Germany.  Believe he didn't make it back to the field until he recovered after the surrender.  Do you remember my father, he was from Chicago.

Dennis Sura

Manhay-Information provided by  Clark Archer

DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS OF 27 DEC. 27,1944,MEN OF THE 517TH PARACHUTE COMBAT TEAM DROVE GERMAN SS TROOPS FROM MANHAY. SUCCESS IN THIS BATTLE DOOMED FURTHER GERMAN PENETRATIONS INTO BELGIUM

WE SORROWFULLY LEFT MANY FRIENDS ON THIS BATTLEFIELD. THESE MEN AND THE SACRIFICES OF BELGIAN CITIZENS SHALL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

MEN OF THE 3/517 PIR KILLED IN THE BATTLE FOR MANHAY

Lt. Floyd A.  Stott                    Pfc Fred Iserman           PFC Clyde Whittington

Sgt Wendell J. Tinger            PFc Paul Rzonca            Pvt Merle Kaminsky

Cpl. Courville Tarpley             PFCShannon Smith       Pvt. John Penn

Pfc. William Eckart                 Pfc. Edward Walsh         Pvt. Frank O. Scott

Pvt. Arthur Sessum                 Pvt. Albert Vasquez        Pvt. Edward Weimer

Pvt. Robert Williams

Rough Translation of a poem from the book  L'OFFENSIVE DES ARDENNES by Eddy Monfort

MANHAY

At All Costs

Where are the worthy GI's running who liberated us,
They have their tanks, the Germans, with their equipment,
Have been driven back.  They seemed powerful,
Invincible soldiers, masters for a very long time.

Each time the return of the occupying forces is precise.
For the veteran of the underground the decision has been made.
Once again, in the Ardennes, there will be vengeance.
Flee people of the maquis, avoid judgment.

Civilians have left, replaced by soldiers.
Speedily, they have been crowded into truck beds.
Since Reims, in the rain, turning points, chaos,
For parachutists, what hell, no planes, no trucks!

They were forewarned...in the winter by the fire.
A surplus of potatoes, bacon, eggs.
The front has been made right.  Manhay is in the middle.
The site can be razed.   Order to leave the area.

The bolt on Fraiture has suddenly been released.
Spreading out toward Manhay, grenadiers and tanks.
Evening descending on the Ardenne obscures
The steel worms spitting their fire bursts

Suddenly, from behind the low clouds , the moon appears,
Unveiling the barrages, a chance for the enemy.
Under a pale halo, appears the reply.

Nine tanks will be destroyed, the snow has betrayed them.
This Christmas Eve, will be the breakthrough.
In the radio silence, for the imposed retreat,
An audacious Panzer, between two Shermans, slips in.
Spreading terror…a feat of great audacity.

The artillery intervenes from Monchenoul to Deux-Rys
In three days the batteries will destroy the dwelling
Through numerous battles, until body to body,
Face to face with the enemy, their fate is sealed.

The region liberated, the village retaken,
The spoils of the sinister building will be counted.
Where have the sheets gone, still so well-folded?
On a slain soldier, is where they will be found.

Friends have left in pursuit of the enemy.
But the heroic Ardenne regains his courage.
The meadows are cleansed and the lodging is rebuilt.
At vespers they tell the tale of this hard, cursed winter.

Today, the village, fixed like a terrace
on the side of the green massif where violent winds brew,
Has found peace, let us hope, forever.
Manhay, her story, her central square: it was well worth the detour.

Manhay "cost what it may".  The alarm has sounded…and the order has come
  Down.
Hold at all costs-"Tenir coute que coute"

                                                     Emile PIRARD