From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1485 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 4, 2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

The registration forms that I send to all somehow had Washington instead of St. Louis as the city. The country and the dates were correct. Just checking to see if anyone reads this stuff.

I address both in person and in Mail Calls General Seitz as Dick. This is at his own request.

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Darrell Egner

What a super job Claire and Ben did putting on the Washington Reunion.  Claire with all the last minute changes only you could pull off such a successful  Reunion.  No wonder you didn't have time to talk to me.  (hahaha).  Claire shipped the left over Paratroopers'  Odyssey books to Leo Dean.  Leo will get them to the St. Louis Reunion and they will be on sale at the Reunion.  I have about 40 books which I will bring also.

Claire also sent a check to Leo for the balance in the National Reunion Account.  Thanks Claire!  Despite the fact that the additional security for the Vice President cost about $3,000 the reunion's total cost to the 517 was only $549.15.  Great job guys!

Claire have a great trip to Savannah when you and Helen Beddow get together regarding the new format for the Thunderbolt.  I can't wait to see it.  One suggestion I would like to make is to put Wade Gilbert's AD page in the publication as he was nice enough to commit to support our publication through 2008.

Leo I received the check for Chris Lindner today to cover gifts and other expenses for the St. Louis Reunion and will mail it Monday.  Thank you.  She will be out of town until Friday so she will get it when she returns.  She has selected some real nice gifts that all of you will receive in your welcome packet upon your arrival in St. Louis.

I couldn't be more pleased how everything is falling in place with the help of the Auxiliary and all of you.

Darrell Egner
 Claire Giblin

Good evening, all -

Darrell, you are copied so that you can pass this on to the 517 Board.  Ben, please put the following in Mail Call:

As has been mentioned previously in Mail Call, Helen Beddow and I have volunteered to undertake the publication of a revamped Thunderbolt.  We will have a working weekend coming up next weekend.

If anyone has any suggestions for the Thunderbolt's next incarnation, please forward them now!  The Thunderbolt has been many things: a newspaper-print-style paper, a magazine-style publication...

What is currently being envisioned is a newsletter-style 8-16 page publication.  The world is our oyster.  What would we like to see?  Currently, we are planning on:

  • a letter from the 517 president
  • an update from the 517 Auxiliary president
  • financial reports from the 517 and the 517 Auxiliary treasurers
  • selected excerpts from Mail Call
  • any messages from French or Belgian friends
  • a section of Does Anyone Have Any Info on -----?
  • Taps or In , for recently deceased troopers
  • upcoming reunions: we currently have three ahead of us: Palm Springs, St. Louis, and Kissimmee 2009

We are also considering:

  • possible reprints of Clark Archer's pieces from years past.  Mr. Archer served as the unit historian.
  • a Remember When section
  • a VA Liaison section

Now is the time to make your suggestions!  Maybe something used to be in the Thunderbolt years ago - let us know!

Thank you all so much for helping secure the legacy of our favorite veterans!

Warm regards,

Claire Giblin

Ray Estrella

Hello Ben, we hope 2008 is going good for you. Ruben and I, and our spouses have agreed to go to St. Louis. Thank you for sending the hotel info. We will be making reservations soon. Take care--Thanks -- Ray Estrella

Dorothy Mackenzie

The time spent at the "mini" was filled with dear friends, incredible hospitality, laughter and fun.  All served to make special memories...what more could we ask for?  Dorothy