From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:05 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1486 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 6,2008

   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

The registration forms that I send to all somehow had Washington instead of St. Louis as the city. The country and the dates were correct.

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

MEMBERS WHO HAVE BEEN OVER TO FRANCE AND BELGIUM WILL NEVER  FORGET THE RECEPTION AND KINDNESS  SHOWN TO US BY THESE FRIENDS. HAVE YOU RODE IN PATRICIA AND ROLAND'S WWII JEEP AT SOSPEL? , VISITED Musee de la Liberation - Provence MAINTAIN BY J. Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux AT LE MUY, SHOWN AROUND MANHAY BY EDDY  MONFORT AND VISITED OUR FRIENDS, The C.A.D.U.S.A., out of Trois Ponts, who helped support many 517 members during their reunions and visits to Belgium. Many thanks to Maria Gaspar, and Arnold and Irma Targnion.

You must notify me when you change email address.

 Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Claire Giblin

As has been mentioned previously in Mail Call, Helen Beddow and I have volunteered to undertake the publication of a revamped Thunderbolt.  We will have a working weekend coming up next weekend.

If anyone has any suggestions for the Thunderbolt's next incarnation, please forward them now!  The Thunderbolt has been many things: a newspaper-print-style paper, a magazine-style publication...

What is currently being envisioned is a newsletter-style 8-16 page publication.  The world is our oyster.  What would we like to see?  Currently, we are planning on:

  • a letter from the 517 president
  • an update from the 517 Auxiliary president
  • financial reports from the 517 and the 517 Auxiliary treasurers
  • selected excerpts from Mail Call
  • any messages from French or Belgian friends
  • a section of Does Anyone Have Any Info on -----?
  • Taps or In , for recently deceased troopers
  • upcoming reunions: we currently have three ahead of us: Palm Springs, St. Louis, and Kissimmee 2009

We are also considering:

  • possible reprints of Clark Archer's pieces from years past.  Mr. Archer served as the unit historian.
  • a Remember When section
  • a VA Liaison section

Now is the time to make your suggestions!  Maybe something used to be in the Thunderbolt years ago - let us know!

Thank you all so much for helping secure the legacy of our favorite veterans!

Warm regards,

Claire Giblin

Lory Curtis

Ben,
   This is for Claire and her request for ideas for the Thunderbolt.
Since my Dad has now passed away I would like to see a section set aside somewhere in the Thunderbolt maybe only a half a page for the the sons, daughters and friends of the 517th troopers to let others know what is going on in their lives.  I think this will help keep the 517th legacy alive and going.  We as the sons daughters, and friends need to get to know each other better.  Reunions are the best way,but not everyone can afford to come to a reunion.   I was so glad to talk to Mike Wells  who just came back from Sospel, and to see Bob Dodds trip to Belgium on mailcall.  I would like to see these folks tell their stories of their trips and the tributes to their fathers in the Thunderbolt.
My brother Tim has this suggestion.  "My idea would be as many pictures as can be squeezed into one page sent in from troopers and families. Collage kind of thing."

Thanks for asking for our ideas and suggestions.

Lory and Tim Curtis sons of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st Bn

Darrell Egner

 We the 517 PRCT group are so very happy you excepted our invitation to come to America and to our Reunion in St. Louis.  We are looking forward to welcome Patricia and Roland Orengo.  I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.  As we get closer to the event more details (see Mail Call) will follow.

Darrell Egner
President

517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team

Annual 517th PRCT Reunion

June 26 - June 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO

TOUR DESCRIPTIONS

ST. LOUIS CITY TOUR

Friday, June 27

We’ll start the morning with a drive to Jefferson Barracks, established in 1826 as the country’s first "Infantry School of Practice." It served as a major military installation until 1946. Embark on a brief driving tour and then visit the Powder Magazine Museum. Built in 1857, this massive stone building was used for storage of the rifles, cannon, gun powder and prepared ammunition for the troops stationed at the Barracks, in the Mississippi Valley, and in the western frontier. It has a beautiful patio overlooking the Mississippi River. Next, it’s on to downtown St. Louis where you’ll take in Laclede's Landing, a revitalized 19th century warehouse district with cobblestone streets and cast-iron street lamps. See the Gateway Arch and learn how this magnificent structure was built. From there you’ll drive through some lovely neighborhoods on your way to lunch on "The Hill." This well-known area has lots of Italian Restaurants, along with a deli or two. Your guide will point out Rigazzi’s, along with several other choices. Following lunch, continue the city tour with a stop at the Cathedral Basilica to see one of the largest collections of mosaic art in the Western Hemisphere and also drive through Forest Park, home to the 1904 World’s fair, where the St. Louis Zoo and several museums are located.

8:30am board bus, 3:30pm back at hotel

$39/Person includes bus, guide and admission. Lunch on your own.

PADDLEWHEELER DINNER CRUISE

Friday, June 27

Enjoy a Dinner Cruise on Gateway Riverboats’ Becky Thatcher or Tom Sawyer paddlewheers, reminiscent of a time past when the river was the highway to the next port city. Your Captain will narrate and take you back to recapture the vibrant life on the river during the peak of the steamboat era. The stars and moon of ages ago will still be out there shining as a reminder of what was, while the bright city lights illuminating St. Louis’ skyline reveals what the city is today. A mouth-watering prime rib dinner and live entertainment will keep you happy as you cruise the Mighty Mississippi River. This tour can accommodate a maximum of 220 people.

6:15pm board bus, 10:15pm back at hotel

$65/Person includes bus, escort, and dinner cruise.

GRANT’S FARM

Saturday, June 28

Board bus for Grant's Farm. This 281-acre ancestral home of the Busch Family is named after Ulysses S. Grant, eighteenth President of the United States, who once lived on and farmed part of these grounds. Your adventure begins at Grant Station, where you will board a trackless train for a scenic tour of the Deer Park. This 160-acre game preserve is home to thirty different exotic species, including bison, elk, and antelope. Other points of interest include Grant's Cabin, the log home built by Ulysses S. Grant in 1856, and Bauernhof Courtyard where you can enjoy refreshments and snacks. Continue on to the Tier Garden for a close-up look at a fascinating variety of animals. There are regularly scheduled elephant and bird shows available, as well as some shops.

1:30pm board bus, 5:00pm back at hotel

$30/Person includes bus, guide, and bus parking.

TRI-STATE LIVING HISTORY ASSOCIATION LUNCHEON

Sunday, June 29

Remember last year??!! Well, the same group will be honoring the 517th again. Tri-State will be at the St. Charles County Smartt Field, and they'll be flying in the Black Sparrow C-47 again. The guys will be wearing uniforms from the Operation Dragoon jump and will be hosting a luncheon. At the airfield there is also a WWII museum that is on display all year long. At the hotel, plans include a hospitality area for socialization, static displays of WWII airborne memorabilia, and army equipment. Note: This is a volunteer effort; schedules and events may change (especially due to weather), and we appreciate your understanding. Lunch is included in the tour price for veterans and their spouses, but guests must pay a higher price to cover the cost of lunch.

10:00am board bus, 3:00pm back at hotel

$27/Person includes bus and escort for veterans and wives. Lunch is complimentary.

$37/Person includes bus, escort, and lunch for all other attendees