From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:08 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1489 517TH- FEBRUARY 12, 2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

I expect to leave for the West Coast Thursday Feb. 14 and return Feb 22. I will have a laptop with me and there should not me much interruption in Mail Call.

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

You must notify me when you change email address.

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

We up dating theThunderbolt roster. Please send mailing address to Helen Beddow HBeddow@cs.com  please include the name "517th" in the subject box.

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Dear Ben:

    May Alan and I echo Tom Cross' observation about Helen and Claire's organizational prowess, amazing leadership, and incredible verve.  Dad told us what a blessing it was for the long-range preservation of the 517th's history and ties that Helen and Claire agreed to undertake the Thunderbolt.  After reading their emails, we have tangible proof of the blessing that they are.
    Many, many thanks, Helen and Claire.  You are outstanding.
Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Morris McDowell

Ben,
I thought I would put some of my thoughts in the mail call about honoring those that have passed on this past year. I think it is a great idea, that the family of Mr. Fraser wants to honor him. The 517 used to honor those, at least this was done at the last Ft. Benning reunion. I would like to see something done along the lines of a power point presentation, and a narrative to introduce and a brief bio. of the person, along with selected pictures (probably by the family). There would have to be some guidelines established, perhaps maximum number of pictures, etc.But I think this would be very fitting at the St. Louis reunion. If some one could work with me, I would be willing to put something together for the reunion. I have some other ideas I would like to add to the presentation, but if I could get some feed back from Mr. Egner, or members of the Aux., and leadership, I would appreciate it. Thanks very much. Oh, DITTOS about how the Belgian people support the preservation of the commitment that the American Soldiers had in WWII. Everyone we met in Belgium was so hospitable & kind. Morris McDowell

Jerry Wolford

Ben I have a suggestion to pass along to the worker bees [Claire and Helen] about upcoming Thunderbolt issues. Perhaps it would be nice to have one of the first issues dedicated to the spirit of the very first issue that came out in August 1943. I referenced it from your website as I had never seen a copy of it. You could call it the "throwback" issue as you could follow and capture the spirit of volume 1. I had no idea that it's origin dated back to "43" when the guys were still at Toccoa. It was a very light hearted beginning and you could feel the youthful exuberance of the fellows as they went about their daily rigors and challenges. They were really poking fun at anything that came up. I enjoyed it a lot. . . . .Thanks from the nephew of a Buzzard

Irma and Arnold

Dear Ben, dear friends of America,
We had the great honor to welcome your comrade Harold Roberts (596th). He just left this morning and we were so lucky to have Hal and Jeanne to stay with us at home. We spent 5 wonderful days with them and we visited many historic places. His young friend David De Boer, wife and baby girl share some times with us too. I send a few pictures to you. Love. Irma and Arnold

Harold ROBERTS signing the Golden Book of Trois-Ponts - with the Mayor, the deputy-Mayor and members of the Council

It was "carnival" for children on last Saturday, children came to salute Hal and to sing for him "allouette, gentille allouette.."
Gilles Guignard
Dear Ben and Bob

I hope you are doing well. I just came across this very nice video about the experiences of Eric Anderson 517th.
Here  is the link
With best regards Gilles