From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:03 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1493 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY19, 2008

   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

You must notify me when you change email address.

Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

We up dating theThunderbolt roster. Please send mailing address to Helen Beddow HBeddow@cs.com  please include the name "517th" in the subject box.

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

We were away for the weekend and almost missed the opportunity to wish Gen. Seitz a very happy birthday!  We will raise a glass to him and his service!

We want to hear how he celebrated!

Warmly,

Claire Giblin

 I have received expressions of appreciation from General Seitz and his family. - Ben

Darrell Egner

Morris McDowell thank you for your kind offer to put together something along the line of Power Point regarding honoring our departed Brothers.  I think this a wonderful idea and long over due.  Frankly I am not up to speed on Power Point or other methods of presenting this information.  How do you plan to present this?  I have two thoughts such as showing this at our Banquet on June 29, 2008 in St. Louis or setting up a device to play it in the Hospitably Room.  My choice would to present this at the Banquet so everyone could see it.  I'm sure our Co-Chairs of the St. Louis Reunion, Chris Lindner and her sister Bev Strothkamp could work this into their plans.

I believe Ben Barrett would be the best source of information regarding who has departed.  Also if anyone reading this who lost a loved one please contact Morris and provide pictures and stories.  Follow the example of Don Fraziers family who requested that his memory be noted at our Reunion.  This information could go back however many years.  My thinking goes back to Jim Mackenzie who is resting in the National Cemetery.  I am sure Dorothy, his widow, would provide any information you would need.  Another person (s) would be Chris and Bev who lost their farther about 30 years ago.  Another source of information could come from Clair and Helen and the Auxiliary.

Morris I can't tell you how much the 517 would appreciate what you are offering to do.  What a task!  When you get into this project and have some idea how long this will run (time wise) please convey this information to Chris and Bev so they can work it into their schedule.

Again thank you for your suggestion and your generous offer.

Darrell Egner
President

Helen Beddow

Hello everyone,

I think the Power Point presentation would be fantastic.  Personally, I don't know how to do a Power Point presentation, but I have seen some really good presentations using Power Point. Go for it!!

Helen

Lyn Vickers

Thanks for putting the link in about the 1991 reunion booklet.  I had never seen it as the picture company lost our order ... when I finally thought about it & called them, they said they had destroyed the negatives & no more pictures, etc.  We were pretty upset about that as we had no pictures to speak of from that reunion.  It was good to see us again at such a YOUNG age... LOL.
Lyn Vickers

The Widdah Lyn, Cocoa, and Poopin Pepper the Crappin Cajun

Helen Beddow

Good morning, everyone!

Claire and I are working on the next Thunderbolt, and we are learning a lot in this whole process.  It is a new ballgame for me to be out of the music world with this endeavor.  A little strange, but still very exciting.

We are wanting to have some pictures of the Kissimmee reunion.  For those of you that were there, we would be very grateful if you would share them with us.  If you will email them to me: HBeddow@cs.com I will then send them on to Claire and we will decide which ones that we want to use. What we don't use, we will keep for a display in St. Louis.

I have been getting several confirmation of mail addresses for the Thunderbolt.  If you have moved in the past 2 years, I want to check to make sure you are on the mailing list with the correct address.  Thank you to those that have sent me their correct mailing address.

I want to thank everyone for their support in helping Claire and I get started with the Thunderbolt.  We hope to soon give you a time that you can expect the see a Thunderbolt in your mailbox.

Darrell Egner

Email to our friends overseas

First of all I would like to thank each and everyone of you for keeping the memory of the 517 PRCT alive.  Next I would like to say thanks for the way all of you have graciously made our visiting troopers so welcome in your country. You took your valuable time to escort us around to the various sites we desired to see.  And treated us like we were royalty.  Also your E-mails and pictures are much appreciated.  We owe you a great deal for keeping our history alive.

As a small token of our appreciation we would like to invite you to our national Reunion in St. Louis, Missouri.  The dates are June 26  - 30, 2008.  St. Louis is almost in the middle of the United States  You would be staying at the beautiful Sheraton Westport Hotel.  They provide free transpiration from the Airport to the Hotel.  We will comp your Hotel room between the above dates and also your Registration fee. St. Louis is a beautiful city and it would take weeks to see all the sites.

I'm sure I forgot some of our friends from over the pond.  If I did please let me know and I will extend this Invitation to them as well.  My E-mail address is BIGDEGNER@AOL.COM.  If you are able to attend please let me know.  We will make the Hotel Reservations a take care of the Registration.

Hope to hear from you and thanks again for all you do to keep our history alive.

Regards,

Darrell Egner
President 517
Jean Loup Gassend

Dear Mr Egner

Thank you for your kind invitation to the St Louis
reunion. I would love to come, but unfortunately am a
medical student, and am not free in the month of June.
However, I am still looking for 517th veterans from
southern France to talk to (Particularly G company),
for an oral history book I am making. Anybody
interested in helping me by telling me their souvenirs
over the phone can contact me here:
Jean-Loup Gassend
Phone: 04-93-20-22-91
Email: jean-loup@gassend.com , or schyzowolf@yahoo.fr

Sincerely

Jean-Loup

Bob Barrett

A PowerPoint presentation just means a slide show.  Powerpoint is the name of the program that most of us use to create a set of slides with text and pictures.  Most of the slide shows on the web that people send you ("look at this!") were built using Powerpoint.

For the reunion, someone can just build a set of slides, then use a projector to display them on a large screen.  It sounds like that is exactly what McDowell has volunteered to do.

Note:  They would need to buy, rent or bring a projector.  The hotel can usually provide a projector, at a cost.  A few years back, Wade Gilbert brought one for us, since he is in that business.  I don't know if he is planning to attend St. Louis.  Or you can buy a pretty good one at your local BestBuy for only $500 or so.  If the committee plans to do this at many future reunions, they might want to spend that money rather than renting one for $100+ each time.  Maybe McDowell already has access to borrow one.

Bob

Ray Estrella

Ben, thanks for passing on my thoughts/ideas on to the Association regarding the 517th coin. I will have some samples of the coins to show you folks at the reunion in Palm Springs.  We are now in the planning stages for our trip to Europe in Mid-August.  We have decided to visit Italy, France, Belgium, and England. Ruben and I will have a lot of questions, and need a lot of input, regarding our desire to retrace the 517ths campaign route thru Europe. -- Talk to you soon Ben -- Again, Thank you -- Ray Estrella

Gilles Guignard  (Swiss friend )

Dear Ben and Bob,

A friend located a 460th PFAB near Luceram. All photos are featured on page 70 and 71 of my 517th website.
Kind regards Gilles