From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 9:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1500 517TH PRCT mARCH 7, 2008
From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:49 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1499 517TH PRCT-MARCH 2, 2008

   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello,

We would like to receive  names of deceased  only as far back as the last reunion.

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203
 Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

We up dating theThunderbolt roster. Please send mailing address to Helen Beddow HBeddow@cs.com  please include the name "517th" in the subject box.

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format

Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Chris Lindner

Here is the number for the Hotel.  314-878-1500.  When this number is called it is for both the Tower and the Chalet.
Chris
                                                         **************

We have changed the  hotel for St. Louis Reunion. They are next to each other and under same management. I think that we had this information in a previous Mail Call  However,  at his point in time I'm not sure if I'm coming or going. We needed a larger banquet room and that is all that has changed. So simple that it is complicated -- Ben.

 Hotel Registration Form
SHERATON WESTPORT HOTEL - LAKESIDE CHALET – ST LOUIS, MO
314-878-1500 or 888-627-7064
The newly renovated Sheraton Westport Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of St Louis approximately fifteen minutes from downtown, at Lakeside Chalet, 191 Westport Plaza, St Louis, MO 63146. The hotel location offers easy access to over 30 restaurants, exclusive shops and entertainment. Each room features a coffee maker, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, and in-room movies. Outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy their outdoor swimming pool, indoor heated pool, fitness facility and the golf course nearby. Handicapped and non-smoking rooms are subject to availability. Please request these special accommodations when making your hotel reservations. The hotel provides complimentary parking for its guests. Check-in time is 3:00pm; check-out time is 12:00pm. Lucerne Restaurant offers a traditional American cuisine for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Lucerne Lounge is a relaxing place to meet with friends for drinks. Room service is also available.
The Sheraton Westport offers complimentary airport shuttle service to and from the St Louis Airport. The shuttle runs every ½ hour, from 6:30 am-11:00 pm. The van arrives at the airport on the ½ hour, but there is also a courtesy phone located at the baggage claim area of the airport if needed. Space is limited on complimentary services, so you may want to make other arrangements.
The hotel offers parking for RVs, should you need full hook-ups contact the St Louis RV Park at either 800-878-3330 or directly at 314-241-3330. They are located at 900 North Jefferson Ave, St Louis, MO 63106, which is approximately 20 miles from the hotel. Make your reservations as soon as possible due to limited space and availability.
Should you need to rent a wheelchair for the reunion, ScootAround rents both manual and power wheelchairs by the day and week. Please call their toll free number at (888) 441-7575 for details. All prices quoted include delivery fees.
Vendors, Schedules, and Prices are subject to change.
******************* CUT HERE AND MAIL TO THE HOTEL ********************
517th PARACHUTE REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM - HOTEL RESERVATION FORM
REUNION DATES: JUNE 26-30, 2008
NAME ____________________________________________SHARING ROOM W/ _____________________
ADDRESS____________________________________________________________ZIP________________
TEL. NUMBER (_________)____________________ STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST #______________
ARRIVAL DATE _________________ APPROX. TIME ________________ DEP. DATE ________________
______# OF ROOMS NEEDED _______# OF PEOPLE IN ROOM _______ HANDICAP ACCESS
______SMOKING ______NON-SMOKING ______KING BED _______2 DOUBLE BEDS
In the event room type requested is not available, nearest room type will be assigned.
RATE: $99+ tax (currently 14.325%).
CUT OFF DATE: 05/23/08. Late reservations will be processed based on space availability at a higher rate.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Deposit is refundable if reservation is canceled by 6:00 pm on date of arrival. Adjustments to departure date after check-in, resulting in a shortened length of stay, will result in a 1 night (room and tax) early-departure fee.
All reservations must be guaranteed by credit card or first night's deposit, enclosed.
_____AMEX _____DINERS _____VISA _____MASTER CARD ______DISCOVER
CREDIT CARD NUMBER___________________________________________ EXP. DATE______________
SIGNATURE (regardless of payment method) ___________________________________________________
MAIL TO: SHERATON WESTPORT HOTEL * 191 WESTPORT PLAZA * ST LOUIS, MO 63146 * Fax 314-434-0141 ATTN: RESERVATIONS
 Dan Smith

  Dear Ben et al,

    Thanks . Pat is doing o.k. but it is a tough haul for her. She came home this Tuesday.  She is very tired, but is getting good care. Nurses, physical therapists , and occupational therapists are working with her almost every day.
The prognosis is good but she took an awful rap. I don't recover from operations like I used to but should be back to normal (for an 82 year old) in a month.  Five of our six children have each done a week here , one is on her second tour here from California to help better take care of  us since I had an operation a week ago.

               I think I have moaned enough. Patty is lucky to be alive.

                                                                   Hugs to Fran,

                                                                               Dan

Jim Miller

I e-mail Bill Christian to start off with and he gave me your address. As before you’ve probably resaved this question, I’m looking for info about my Grandfather. He was in the 460th, battery D, PFAB. I was working over at my parents house came across my grandfather’s trunk, found his military records and some photos. There’s not much out there about the 460th, I have some photo.  My home e-mail is or 1-916-412-7227. I have a large group photo from jump school (I think) Sep.18 of 1943. I think it’s 8x36. I would like to get in put together for the 460th, can you point me in the right direction with guys from 460th

Chris Lindner and others

This is how the national anthem should be sung!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284
Tom McAvoy
Ben  ask someone in Palm Springs if the Palm Spring Follies still operates, it was such a grand production of talent?? Tom McAvoy.
                                                               ********
Bill Christian will let us know for sure. I think most have been to it and we can no longer get a special rate. It is not cheap - Ben

Lory Curtis

Ben,
This is for Walt Smith.
Thank you for posting the names in the commo platoon who were killed in combat.  Of course my Dad was in the commo platoon, and since his passing in December 07, I have had a chance to go through his stuff.  I found 4 more letters he had written to his mother during the war.  I am not sure why he had kept these from me, but they are more graphic in his explaining some of the horrors all of you went through, and I think that is why.  One letter to his mother in 1944, simply says  3 of his best friends were killed today.  I think the names you have listed had to be some of his buddies.  I specially remember my Dad talking about Ed Jolly.  Thanks for posting the information.  Hope to see you in St Louis.
Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn

Claire Giblin- Reply to Jim Mill's guest book entry.
 Hi,

I saw that you signed the guestbook for the 517-460-596 site (those entries are shared on our Mail Call, a mailing that goes to hundreds of us family and friends of the 517).  My dad was a 596 Engineer, and I'm sorry that I'm not writing with info on your dad.  You might well hear, though, from someone in the 460th or their kids.  The webmasters might also be able to come up with information on Plane 12 - who knows?

I did want to thank you for sharing the small scrap of parachute and its information, though.  You have an incredible memory there in your hands.  Thanks for telling us about it - you really lucked out in going through your grandfather's trunk.

The unit, as you can see from the website, still has reunions.  As a descendant and a friend, you are more than welcome to join us if your schedule permits - the Palm Springs mini is coming up in April.  You might want to mail (or email or call) the organizer to see if they are expecting anyone from the 460th.

Thanks for your interest in the unit -

Claire Giblin, President, 517 Auxiliary

(the Auxiliary is the Family and Friends organization)

The Andrews Sisters - Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree video