From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:55 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1501 517TH PRCT-MARCH 11, 2008

   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203
 Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

We up dating theThunderbolt roster. Please send mailing address to Helen Beddow HBeddow@cs.com  please include the name "517th" in the subject box.

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format

Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Wayne Cross

There are a lot of ways to win a DSC, all dangerous, but this is probably an example of one of the most selfless ways to earn it.  It is a testament as to why the 1st Battalion troopers feel so strongly about Col. Boyle:

BOYLE, WILLIAM J.
Citation:
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to William J. Boyle, Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving as Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion, 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team, in action against enemy forces on 25 December 1944, in Belgium. When, through error brought about by confusion in the situation, troops of a friendly battalion began firing upon men under his command, Lieutenant Colonel Boyle walked boldly in the direction of the intense fire to correct the error. Although fired upon by successive groups as he approached, and unable to protect himself, he continued on his self- assigned task until the entire friendly battalion was cognizant of the location of his troops. Lieutenant Colonel Boyle's magnificent act of courage undoubtedly saved the lives of many soldiers. His gallant leadership, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.
Headquarters, U.S. Forces-European Theater, General Orders No. 262 (1945)
Born: at Brooklyn, New York
Home Town: Brooklyn, New York

Mary Jane Handron

Cathy  Gleisberg

Ben,

Would you please include this in the next mail call. I received it from my sister Cindy who was at the Savannah reunion in 05
Before You Go

Thank you Cathy

Cindy Gleisberg

This made me cry and think of Andy.  Cathy, if you have the contact information, can you please forward it to the folks at the 517th?  I know they'd like it.
                                                           *************
Andy Lubic was in H Co.  Cathy's mother, Dot Gleisberg, was an early inspiration for the formation of the website.  The first entry in our guestbook below was from Dorothy.  Dorothy  passed on soon after the Savannah reunion-Ben

Entry of Feb 6, 2000 at 11:22 [EST]
Name: Andrew P. Lubic & Dorothy Gleisberg
Unit: H Company
EMail:
CackyG@aol.com
How I found the 517th page: Heard from a member of the 517th
Comments: Andrew and I are very proud to sign this guestbook of the 517th. When Ben Barrett and I talked about a website for the 517th at the last Palm Springs reunion, it was a far-off dream that someone would undertake the responsibility. Congratulations are in order for Ben and his son, Bob, for making this dream a reality. It is a beautiful site, honoring all the history and tradition of a fine group of men who served their country so proudly. To Ben Barrett, son Bob Barrett, and all members of a proud unit, AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY !!!!! Dorothy Gleisberg

Darrell Egner  (message below was forwarded to Darrell)

Subject: I'M TIRED, TIRED, TIRED!!

Two weeks ago, as I was starting my sixth month of duty in Iraq, I was
forced to return to the USA for surgery for an injury I sustained prior
to my deployment. With luck, I'll return to Iraq to finish my tour.

I left Baghdad, and a war that has every indication that we are
winning, to return to a demoralized country much like the one I
returned to in 1971 after my tour in Vietnam Maybe it's because I'll
turn 60 years old in just four months, but I'm tired:
I'm tired of spineless politicians, both Democrat and Republican, who
lack the courage, fortitude and character to see these difficult tasks
through.
I'm tired of the hypocrisy of politicians who want to rewrite history
when the going gets tough.
I'm tired of the disingenuous clamor from those that claim they
'Support the Troops' by wanting them to 'Cut and Run' before victory
is achieved.

I'm tired of a mainstream media that can only focus on car bombs and
casualty reports because they are too afraid to leave the safety of
their hotels to report on the courage and success our brave men and
women are having on the battlefield.

I'm tired that so many Americans think you can rebuild a dictatorship
into a democracy overnight.
I'm tired that so many ignore the bravery of the Iraqi people to go to
the voting booth and freely elect a Constitution and soon a permanent
Parliament.
I'm tired of the so called 'Elite Left' that prolongs this war by
giving aid and comfort to our enemy, just as they did during the
Vietnam War.

I'm tired of antiwar protesters showing up at the funerals of our
fallen soldiers, a family whose loved ones gave their life in a just
and noble cause, only to be cruelly tormented on the funeral day by
cowardly protesters is beyond shameful.

I'm tired that my generation, the Baby Boom -- Vietnam generation, who
have such a weak backbone that they can't stomach seeing the difficult
tasks through to victory.

I'm tired that some are more concerned about the treatment of captives
than they are the slaughter and beheading of our citizens and allies.
I'm tired that when we find mass graves it is seldom reported by the
press, but mistreat a prisoner and it is front-page news.

Mostly, I'm tired that the people of this great nation didn't learn
from history that there is no substitute for victory.
Sincerely,

Joe Repya
Lieutenant Colonel, U. S. Army
101st Airborne Division

The above message was written in 2005 and  again on the internet  in 2007 when Joe Repya was running for a political office. Ben