From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:21 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1509 517TH PRCT-MARCH 26, 2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello

The best means to secure military records and avoid all the paper work and endless forms to fill out is to request your Congressperson to get their interns to do the work for you. You will need a copy of the Discharge papers.

There is still time to register for the Palm Springs Reunion April 13-18.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format

Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Pat Seitz

 Dear Ben: May I echo Helen's remarks -- your no mail email made me think of how important mail was to the men of the 517th during the war and tiny hint of what it must have felt like to have no mail from anyone.  It makes me appreciate all the more when I read of the effort of folks who are writing to our troops presently overseas.  Thank you for being our lifeline of communication.

    Pat Seitz
PS  Hang in there to Helen and Claire.  The final product will be great

Jo Anne Roberts Gray
to WALT SMITH hq1st
RE:  eyesight and ability to read Mail Call.
Your email client should be able to increase the size of the type you get so you can see it.  Either zoom or, as mine has, a button to increase or decrease size.  If not this, then copy and paste into Word and increase it there.  Too much good here to miss.
Jo Anne Roberts Gray
(sorry to the rest of you re the large type - it was for a guy who can't see)
Steve Markle
Mark -
My dad (Gene Markle) was not part of the 2nd Battalion, but he was transferred from the 596 Engineers over to the 307 Airborne Engineering Battalion attached to 82nd Airborne as part of the occupation force in Berlin in early 1945. There are a couple of documents (Football Games) that I have attached that list names from the 307, the 325 Glider, and the 504 Parachute Infantry.
Hope this helps.
-Steve-

Jerry Wolfford

Hi Ben, it is good to finally get "Mail Call". Haven't rec'd one since the 20th or so. See how important your labor of love is? Us auxiliary members are spoiled and accustomed to getting it every day or so. I occasionally check mail call archives to make sure that I haven't missed one. Let me say again how grateful we are to have you and your son and that you guys have the ways and means to keeps us in the know. My heart goes out to Walt Smith of HQ-1st as he is experiencing difficulty being able to read the small print. Uncle George [PFC George W. Cavnar] of Regimental HQ has the same problem and he is about the same age as Walt. He has suffered from "Macular Degeneration" for several years and recently sought help from the Veterans Administration. They provided him with a viewing machine that allows him to actually read "Mail Call' and similar documents of smaller print that once were not legible to him because of his condition. I make a copy of each mail call I receive and once a month I bundle them up and mail them to his home in Akron. He does not own a computer but dearly loves to get that bundle once a month. I was able to get a few old issues of  past "Thunderbolt" that Tom McAvoy was kind enough to send me by mail and I forwarded them as well to him with mail call. He and Tom were both in Reg.HQ and both were members of Boom Boom's Demo Platoon. "Brothers looking out for brothers".               Nephew of a Buzzard

Walt Smith

Fiend Ben, what a response from so many readers of my lame excuse for my quite common handicap of vision.  God Bless all responders !  I am sorry only if it created too much of a problem producing the mailcall.   This is in your choice of font, that is 14.  I can live with that with a magnifying glass.  I also agree that if I take the time, I can copy and paste the small print then highlight it and render it any size that I want.  That I do but I prefer that my  wife, Peanie, read them to me since she is a more avid reader.
   What a large group of concerned and helpful friends Ben and his 517 readers have become!..............Walt Smith Hq. 1

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Mike Landreth:

After our last combat at Bergstein, Germany, we returned to Joigny, France, a town with which we were familiar.  One of the exercises we went through there was to determine who had enough points to get out and go home.  There were high and low point units, the 517th being a low point unit.  The 82nd was a high point unit, so the 517th troopers who ended up there had high points.  Some of the high point men elected to stay with the 517th.  We were broken up as a combat team shortly after we came back from Germany and merged into the 13th Division where we remained for the rest of the War in Europe and the trip to the States on the way to Japan.  Before the War ended in Europe we were alerted for several highly classified airborne operations as well as a jump across the Rhine at Worms, all of which were cancelled at the last moment because of the rapidly advancing allied forces that overran the objectives.

Ironically, we, as a low point unit headed for Japan, had a higher shipping priority than high point units such as the 82nd.  They dropped the first bomb just before we shipped out of France and the second a few days later.  The War ended as we were on the high seas headed for New York.

Note to Bobbie Jo Spencer:  Please give your mother our love and support.  She was one of the lovely ladies living in Southern Pines with whom some of the young troopers were privileged to dine when your dad gave us the invitation.  Your father Dick Spencer left his mark on the 517th, including the term Battling Buzzards and the bird as a mascot to go along with it.  And, you will always be remembered as the D Day Baby Dick sweat out along with the August 15th jump into Southern France.   Our hearts go out to all you Spencers.

Howard Hensleigh

Tory Woodhull Parlin
Dear Howard – since we last corresponded, I have gathered all the information that I could find about Robert Woodhull and bound it into a book for the family.  Your description of him and the time that you shared with him is of immeasurable value to the family.  Somehow knowing how he died is of comfort and brings a finality that was missing – at least for me and my sisters and brother.  I deeply appreciate your kindness and your thoughtfulness.   Ronald tells me that Uncle Bob’s grave marker has not yet been corrected but is in process.

I hope that you are well and enjoying your time with your daughter and her family.

Best wishes – Tory Woodhull Parlin

Bob Barrett

My email program does not have a button to increase the size.   But if you read emails in a browser-based reader (maybe including AOL), the browser might have a “zoom” button.  It depends on the browser.  If I read old emails from the archives page, I see them in my Internet Explorer (IE) browser.  In the lower right corner, I have a zoom feature I can use to make everything bigger.  But this might only be with IE version 7.  I don’t know if that button exists in other versions or other browsers or email programs.

I would just keep doing what you are doing, which is to use a medium-large size font.  That is slightly bigger than most emails, large enough for us old folks, but not so large to be obnoxious or annoying.

Bob