From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 8:28 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1511 517TH PRCT-MARCH 28, 2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello

 There is still time to register for the Palm Springs Reunion April 13-18.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format

Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Dick Seitz

Ben,  it was reported in the most recent issue of Static Line that George W. Dunaway, a wartime member of the 517th passed away 6 Feb of this year.  Dunaway  joined the 517th in France.  Sgt Dunaway was the 2nd Sgt Major of the Army 1968 until Sept 1970.

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Dennis Sura:  My email address is hhensleigh@earthlink.net.  After losing my computer to span a couple of times, I have a security program that lets in messages from those on my address book.  If you ask to get in, I can authorize it and then all messages will come up.  Phone , but I am seldom in the room.  Howard Hensleigh

Ben's mail to Dennis -Mailer Daemon@aol.com

<dudeed@ascglobal.net>

<dudeed@ascglobal.net>... Deferred: Connection refused by ascglobal.net.
Message could not be delivered for 3 hours
Message will be deleted from queue

Lory and Tim Curtis

Ben,
This question goes out to Claire about the film history project, and
getting video stories from the Troopers at the reunion.   Tim and I are
attending the reunion and wondered if we could submit video war stories
our Dad told when we visited Toccoa, GA in 2003?  You may remember Dad
passed away in December 07.
Thanks
Lory and Tim Curtis, sons of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Darrell Egner

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is
someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made
payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and
including my life'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no
longer understand it.

- Author Unknown

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

Darrell (OUR FEARLESS PRESIDENT) is saying we are going to wrap up reunion details.  What he is not telling all of you is that the biggest thing we are doing is GOING TO A SPURS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DARRELL IS A HUGE BASKETBALL FAN!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Chris

Bob Barrett

FYI, I just added a new section, "Today" on the Wikipedia entry for the 517th.

I thought it was worth including a small mention of what the 517th is up to today, since the ongoing activities of the 517th are somewhat unique considering the short lifetime of the original unit and the age of the group.  It also shows that the group is still active and can be contacted, not just a historical reference.
-----------------
Today:

Despite the very short existence of the 517 PRCT (1943 to 1945), the troopers maintain a loyal and close relationship even today. The alumni group, the 517 PRCT Association, still holds an annual reunion, prints a quarterly newsletter, and has an almost daily email news list. There is also an Auxiliary group, consisting of children, relatives, and friends of the 517th who actively assist in the events and maintain the history of the unit.

Patriotic Poems
God and the Soldier, we adore,
In time of danger, not before.
The danger passed and all things righted,
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted.
Kipling

He went where others feared to go,
and did what others failed to do.
He cried, pained and hoped--