From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:46 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1513 517TH PRCT-MARCH 30,2008
  70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025 , Phone 781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
Hello
I would like to send out Mail Call everyday when possible and so when I have little mail, I will try to include an article concerning events of the early forties

 There is still time to register for the Palm Springs Reunion April 13-18.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format

Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Claire Giblin

Good morning, Ben -

First of all, we are awaiting our latest Thunderbolt.  We know we've said this before, but we really do think that this week is the week, and we'll let you know when Helen and I are having a champagne toast over the phone, celebrating that it's gone to the post office!  We are already working on the next one, as well as the 65th anniversary issue for next fall (so that we can include 65th anniversary observances in August).

Second, this is the heart of Reunion Season!  There is still time to register for Palm Springs, universally enjoyed by those who attend!  We also need to make plans for our National Reunion in June!  Chris and Bev have been hard at work, making sure that every detail is in order!  We cannot wait to take St. Louis by storm!  Make your plans and your reservations today; you can cancel up until only days before.  Finally (this is directed at second and third generation: our Auxiliary members), please give thought to volunteering to host our 65th reunion next summer!  Armed Forces Reunions, Inc makes it possible.  It is one of few things that these good men of the greatest generation now need from us:  please consider hosting a reunion to be a wonderful, concrete way to volunteer for the 517th.  It is incredibly rewarding and satisfying.

Third, we have retained Pat O'Donnell and Rob McDonald to work on a film for the 517th.  Most of this work will be done at the St. Louis reunion; stay tuned for more details.  It is a project whose time has come, and we're really thrilled.  Is there something you think is an especially important or touching story?  Send me an email to forward to our filmmakers; we'll try to figure a way to incorporate as much as we can.  I've already been asked about incorporating video from troopers now deceased, and I will investigate that.  I have a video sent to me by Ben Barrett; it was done at the Ft. Benning reunion in 1999 (my dad's first reunion).  If there are others out there, please let's make sure we have copies sent for consideration.

Warm regards to all -

Claire Giblin, Auxiliary

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

I am glad you but the article that Myrle Traver sent in to Mail Call.

I believe this article is very true and that is unfortunate. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

63 years ago

‘Nuts’ reply still reverberates 63 years later

By Renita Foster
Public Affairs Office

60th Reunion photo by Carol Varady

Every Veterans Day and Memorial Day, Carol Varady journeys to a little town located in the southeastern corner of Belgium known as Bastogne. It’s a pilgrimage she’s made for the last seven years.

“Bastogne is where my favorite World War II legend occurred,” said Varady. “It was here, Brig. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe, acting commander of the 101st Airborne Division gave the infamous 'Nuts' reply to a German surrender demand on Dec. 22, 1944.”

According to Varady, “Nuts” became a battle cry that energized the Soldiers of Bastogne and rallied their determination to continue fighting.

“McAuliffe and his brave Soldiers “held the line” – with little food, ammunition or warm clothing. They were determined that Bastogne would not fall to the Germans, no matter what,” added Varady. “Because they battled on, refusing to surrender, other units were able to reach Bastogne and the town was finally liberated.”

Carol Varady, three months old, is held by her Uncle Ellsworth who was wounded after the Normandy
Invasion in 1944. Varady says this was the beginning of her admiration and devotion to the Airborne and all
other Soldiers and veterans. Varady comes by her passion for the airborne honestly. She has the distinct honor of being born just nine days after Operation Overlord, the Normandy invasion on June 6, 1944 in World War II. She also had two uncles serving in the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions.

“They were my mother’s brothers, Uncle Ellsworth (Uncle El) and Uncle George, who jumped into Normandy,” said Varady, program assistant for Program Executive Office, Command Control Communications- Tactical.

Shortly after the Normandy invasion, Uncle El of the 82nd was wounded at Cherbourg and sent home to New Jersey for recuperation. It gave him the opportunity to hold Varady in his arms when she was just three months old.

“I’m very sure that’s the moment I became bound to paratroopers for life,” grinned Varady.

Countless tales of the airborne uncles and of her father who also served in the Navy during World War II, continued throughout Varady’s childhood. Again and again it was stressed how they had served their country and how important their sacrifice was.

While growing up Varady also witnessed many parades honoring veterans, including Uncle El, who was called up for Korea and made the Army his career.

Wanting to show her patriotism, Varady took twirling lessons in hopes of someday marching in future parades to pay homage to her heroes.

“It also seemed natural to me to marry a Soldier,” smiled Varady. “My husband, Frank, wasn’t airborne, but he proudly served the Army Signal Corps for 22 years.”

Varady’s devotion toward the military, especially the airborne in World War II, only increased with time. The vision of Soldiers jumping out of aircraft under heavy fire, then becoming infantrymen on the ground, and facing danger with more weapons fostered deep admiration from Varady.

So much so, it wasn’t long before she decided to visit Bastogne through a World War II History course she was taking at Brookdale Community College. Touring France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany, and studying events and sites of the last months of the European War were all included in the trip.

Varady was overjoyed with the opportunity to visit the places where her uncles had fought, particularly Bastogne where “Uncle George” had fought with the 101st. So much so, Varady sensed a closeness she never felt before; a “comradeship” with the “angels from the sky,” as the Dutch referred to them during “Operation Market Garden” in the Netherlands.

Bastogne’s town square, named for McAuliffe, became one of Varady’s favorite landmarks. She was also captivated by the McAuliffe Memorial, the recently restored Sherman tank nearby, and the American and Belgian flags that have been placed beside the tank and stand at equal height throughout the year.

Another important landmark that fascinated Varady were the foxholes in the Ardennes forests where the 101st Soldiers ate, slept, and were afforded protection from the freezing snow and ice.

“These foxholes remain today as they did during the battle – exactly as the Soldiers left them,” said Varady. “The only changes are those by nature.”

Varady also discovered the Patton Memorial a few blocks away and a memorial to Renee LeMaire, a nurse who gave her young life while caring for American patients. Varady was also enthralled by the tiny room at the Sainte Pierre Church where an American flag is painted on the wall. And complimenting the church are the Sainte Pierre bells that play the first six notes of the Star Spangled Banner every half hour.

At the annual May Memorial service, Varady passes out poppies as a memory souvenir to the ceremony attendees. The flower is well recognized in Europe since being written about in a poem by John McCrae, a Canadian doctor who fought in World War I. The verses describe the Soldiers who fought in Flanders field, also located in Belgium.

“The poppies are provided by the Headquarters Organization of the Veterans of Foreign Wars for this purpose. Thanks to them I have passed out thousands,” said Varady.

During her visits to the town that she affectionately calls “my Bastogne,” Varady enjoys speaking with the children, returning veterans, and families of Soldiers who fought in the battle. In return, they share their stories and experiences – the kind that would never be seen in a history book – but are truly the important stories behind the big picture.

“Sometimes they cry, and I cry with them as their memories take them back to the war years and to their buddies, many of whom never came home and rest forever in the cemeteries there,” said Varady quietly. “The veterans tell me they are the real heroes. I also know one returning Soldier, Leo LeBlanc, who ended up making Bastogne his permanent home.”

Varady also enjoys the stories from the Bastogne residents who gathered their white bed sheets, blankets, curtains, and table cloths to give to American Soldiers for use as camouflage in the snow.

“One dear friend witnessed the death of his father as a little boy of eight years old,” said Varady. “His home was occupied by the Germans, who let the family remain in their home until the Americans began to close in during the Battle of the Bulge. Then they were told they must leave. Before departing, his father was hit by shrapnel and killed. He left behind a wife, three young sons and one daughter. American soldiers later took them in an Army vehicle to their grandmother’s village. Sadly, the day his father was killed was the same day their village was liberated by the American soldiers on Jan 15, 1945.”

Another home occupied by the Germans, made one of the daughters taste each morsel of food before the German soldiers would eat it. Fearing they would be poisoned, they used her to test the food.

There’s also the tale of the Belgian baby who was delivered by American Soldiers during battle. That was Jan 8, 1945, and with great thanks and appreciation, the family has continued to share the story every year since.

Recently, for the first time, Varady was given the responsibility to guide visitors to sites and memorials in and out of Bastogne. “This was courtesy of my friend, Henri Mignon, who witnessed the death of his father,” said Varady. “I was honored to be trusted enough to show and properly explain each place."

Photo by Carol Varady
William  Wild Bill  Guarnere (left) and Edward  Babe  Heffron, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division at the 60th reunion of the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne. If there is one Bastogne moment that stands out for Varady, it’s the 60th anniversary celebration held three years ago. A huge parade flooded the town with signs in both English and French thanking the World War II veterans.

Marches by the American Navy Band from Naples accompanied the senior service members as they marched through Bastogne. Re-enactors with tanks, jeeps and trucks from the Battle of the Bulge provided simulated battle sights and sounds.

A reception followed the ceremony at Town Hall and was attended by the King of Belgium. The celebration was also made special by a visit to Saint Joseph’s Institute, an elementary school in Bastogne. Children eagerly asked question after question about the battle which veterans graciously answered.

Varady also handed out her special poppies as the children enthusiastically demanded autographs from the returning warriors.

“If American Soldiers ever wonder if their sacrifices are appreciated, they should come to Bastogne where they will see with their own eyes the thankfulness of one little Belgian town that has never forgotten,” declared Varady. “Even though it’s 63 years later, they still remember!”