From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:30 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1518 - 517TH PRCT-APRIL 3, 2008
 70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025 , Phone 781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
Hello ,
I usually send just a link to long articles or one with many photos. However in No.1517 I sent the complete article as received out of respect for those that sent it to me. I realized that many servers would not be able to handle it and so here is the link. HTH : U.S. Military Veterans Site : hopetohealing.com

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29
Teresa Vaught

Hi Ben,
Hope this finds you and all vets well today (go 517th!).  Mom and Dad wanted me to send their regards. They are counting down the days until the St. Louis reunion.  They asked me to send a list of I Co vets who have passed away, though these are not necessarily recent.. Joe Ravan (Ga.), Byron Ramsberg (Oregon), Loren Johnson (Kansas), Wallie Witt (Ind.), Richard Henry (Miss.), Joe Cornett (Fl.), and Tony Esparza (Ca.).  We all look forward to seeing everyone in June!!     Teresa, Bob Vaught's daughter, I CO

Vanessa Amard

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR DON FRASER

Thank you so much Ben!
This is great!

Vanessa

Bob Barrett

Gen. Sietz,

I added your details about Italy into the Wikipedia entry, as well as some additional info from the "Short History".  If you can, let me know if this is accurate.  Thanks for your help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/517th_Parachute_Regimental_Combat_Team#Italy

Bob Barrett

Roddy MacDougall

Dear Mr Barret, Mr Johnson
 I have been given your contact details by a mutual friend Eddy Monfort. Eddy brought to our notice a photograph on your website of a King Tiger that belonged to Schwere SS Panzer Abtielung 501 and was attached to Kampfgruppe Peiper in the Ardennes. This vehicle was left out side LaGlieze in Belgium in an area known as Gorrone when KG Peiper was cut off by U.S. forces and forced to abandon their heavy equipment and break ot of the encirclement on foot. It later featured in a series of publicity photos taken by AP and Time where it was set on fire with a grenade to provide some action for the photographers. There are almost certainly genuine shots that show it's original capture but these are lost somewhere in the NARA.
I would like to ask if it is possible to have a high resolution scan of this picture and permission to use it in a forthcoming book that deals with the encirclement and defeat of Kampfgruppe Peiper? The photograph will of course be fully credited and a link to your website provided.
Do any of the veterans that you have contact with have any recollections of their time in the Ardennes, this could be very useful as we are trying to piece together exactly what happened, when and to who before it is too late.
This is a link to our first volume...
http://www.rzm.com/books/afv/duel.cfm
Thank you in advance
Best Regards
Roddy MacDougall

Wayne Cross

Ben, I saw the article in a recent issue of mail call about Gen. McAuliffe's comments to the Germans at Bastogne and wanted to share with you an interview with Lt. General Kinnard who was McAuliffe's, G-3 during Bastogne and who was an eye-witness to this action.  What I find most humorous about the exchange is that Gen. McAulliffe's most immediate reaction to the German call to surrender was that the German's had to be surrendering to him!  That's sums up in a nutshell (pardon the pun) what the Airborne spirit is all about.  In an  aside, my father once commanded the 501st when Gen. Kinnard was the Asst. Division Commander of the 101st and our house was located next door to Gen Kinnard's house.  My first prolonged exposure to General Kinnard was when he caught his son and me soaping his windows late one Halloween night.  Thank God my father had a good sense of humor.  I can attest to the fact that Gen. Kinnard had a good command voice and presence.

"We got into Bastogne late on the night of 18 December, 1944. We were not well equipped, having just gotten out of combat in Holland. We were particularly short of winter clothing and footwear. On the 21st of December we became completely surrounded by Germans and our field hospital was overrun by a German attack. We had put the hospital in what would normally have been a safe place, but no place is safe when you are completely surrounded. At this time, we were not able to receive air resupply because the weather was absolutely frightful. It was very, very cold and snowy. Visibility was often measured in yards. Our lack of winter gear was partially offset by the citizens of Bastogne who gave us blankets and white linens that we used for camouflage.
While we were still surrounded, on the morning of December 22, a German surrender party, consisting of two officers and two NCOs, and carrying a white flag, approached our perimeter in the area of our Glider Regiment, the 327th. The party was taken to a nearby platoon command post. While the enlisted men were detained the officers were blind folded and taken to the command post of the 327th where they presented their surrender ultimatum. The ultimatum in essence said the 101st's position was hopeless and that if we elected not to surrender a lot of bad things would happen.
The message was brought in to the Division Headquarters by Major Alvin Jones, the S-3, and Colonel Harper, the Regimental Commander. They brought the message to me, the G-3 and Paul Danahy, the G-2. My first reaction was that this was a German ruse, designed to get our men out of their fox holes. But be that as it might, we agreed that we needed to take the message up the line. We took it first to the acting Chief of Staff of the Division, Lt. Col. Ned Moore. With him, we took the message to the acting Division Commander General Tony McAuliffe. Moore told General McAuliffe that we had a German surrender ultimatum. The General's first reaction was that the Germans wanted to surrender to us. Col. Moore quickly disabused him of that notion and explained that the German's demanded our surrender. When McAuliffe heard that he laughed and said: "Us surrender? Aw, nuts!" the date was December 22nd, 1944

To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.
There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.
If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours' term.
All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

The German Commander.

But then McAuliffe realized that some sort of reply was in order. He pondered for a few minutes and then told the staff, "Well I don't know what to tell them." He then asked the staff what they thought, and I spoke up, saying, "That first remark of yours would be hard to beat." McAuliffe said, "What do you mean?" I answered, "Sir, you said 'Nuts'." All members of the staff enthusiastically agreed, and McAuliffe decided to send that one word, "Nuts!" back to the Germans. McAuliffe then wrote down: "To the German Commander, "Nuts!" The American Commander."
McAuliffe then asked Col. Harper to deliver the message to the Germans. Harper took the typed message back to the company command post where the two German officers were detained. Harper then told the Germans that he had the American commanders reply. The German captain then asked, "Is it written or verbal?" Harper responded that it was written and added, "I will place it in your hand."
nuts.JPG (29361 bytes)

General Anthony McAuliffe
taken on December 27th, 1944
The German major then asked, "Is the reply negative or affirmative? If it is the latter I will negotiate further."
At this time the Germans were acting in an arrogant and patronizing manner and Harper, who was starting to lose his temper, responded, "The reply is decidedly not affirmative." He then added that, "If you continue your foolish attack your losses will be tremendous."
Harper then put the German officers in a jeep and took them back to where the German enlisted men were detained. He then said to the German captain, "If you don't know what 'Nuts' means, in plain English it is the same as 'Go to Hell'. And I'll tell you something else, if you continue to attack we will kill every goddam German that tries to break into this city."
The German major and captain saluted very stiffly. The captain said, "We will kill many Americans. This is war." Harper then responded, "On your way Bud," he then said, "and good luck to you." Harper later told me he always regretted wishing them good luck.