From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 9:25 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1520- 517TH PRCT-APRIL 5, 2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello

 There is still time to register for the Palm Springs Reunion April 13-18.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Recent website additions:

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
George W. Cavnar, Reg. HQ

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

--Edith Henningsgaard Miller

To Wayne Cross--    My husband, Dr. Blair Henningsgaard, was a physician with the 501 in Bastogne.  He rarely spoke of the time there, but did recount taking care of German wounded as well as our own troops when the Germans were there.  It must have been shortly after arriving there -- without proper boots, coats and all as the equipment after Holland was in need of replacement and needed to be upgraded.  His aid station was in the top of a barn with hay on the floor.  His feet were frozen, they were without much food or medical supplies and a precarious time for all. Who knows -- your father may have known him!  He died in 1980. I remarried in 1991 to a trooper attached to the 517 whose duty it was to detonate bomb fields.  It was surely a precarious time for all -- I think the 517th was north of Bastogne.  It was an unbelievable victory for our valiant soldiers.  Without the troopers, the outcome of this war might have been very different.  Many thanks again and again -- Edith Henningsgaard Miller

Headline August  21, 1944

A favorite Bill Mauldin cartoon. Do you have a Bill Mauldin cartoon that you would like to see in Mail Call?-Ben
"I need a couple of guys what don't owe me no money for a routine patrol"