From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:58 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1525- 517TH PRCT-APRIL 23,2008
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello

I just arrived back from the West Coast and am trying to catch up on sleep and Mail Call. Will tell about the reunion in later Mail Calls. This Mail Call is incomplete.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Recent website additions:

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Toivo Moisio (?), Company D

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948

Our President in his usual surroundings at a Spurs game

Ray Hess

Good Morning Ben: It is  with great sadness that I announce the death of my  Wife to members of “F” Co. and to all the friends  that she made attending  the various reunions thru out  country. She passed away in her sleep this past Tuesday ,.April 15tth. )  She will be missed by Our three Daughters , six Grand Children, and ten  Great Grandchildren and My self.  Ray R. Hess “F” Co.

Adam Berry

Hi Ben

Thank you for replying to my message. The simple reason i have an interest in the 517th is because over here in the UK it's all about the 101st and the 82nd, and although they deserve the recognition they get, you guys deserve exactly the same, and i hope to at least play a small part in getting the 517th recognized for what they did. Your combat and training records speak for themselves, amongst the best. I do also have an interest in the 551st and 509th although the 509th are pretty well covered here in the UK as obviously they spent a small amount of time here as the 2nd Battalion, 503rd PIR.

My interest in the 517th (although i was more than aware of the units existence before hand) was finding the 1st Battalion Memorial at the Quatre Bras between Hotton and Soy. I have always been one to read up on units that don't instantly register in my head, and suffice to say i read up on you guys and i'm damn glad i did! The same area also sparked an interest in the 51st Engineer combat Battalion. Me and my dad, like i said in my message, have a small apartment in Belgium and i am over there whenever time permits studying the battlefields for my book to better understand the tactical side of your combat missions during the Bulge, as well as those of the 551st and 509th.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you, you were part of one of the finest units to come out of the ETO, and one to be damn proud of, and it would make me proud to do at least a small bit towards getting the name of the 517th to become as legendary as the Divisions that, like you say, appear to be better received.

Regards from the UK,

Adam

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

 Dear Ben:  We have finally had the chance to catch up on Mail Call and we very impressed with your son to  Wikipedia (sp?) entry on the RCT.  Would you please tell him he has done an excellent job and thank you.  Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Helen Jeffcoat

 Hi Ben      This new mail call looks great.      Thanks for a great job.      Hopefully we will be able to come to St. Louis in June.    My husband, Allen Jeffcoat, Co. D   517 is going to his heart doctor and cancer doctor this week and hopefully we will be cleared to come.    We were in Washington at the great reunion and in Sept. 2007 he was diagnosed with cancer.   He has had 43 radiation treatments and now he is taking shots every 4 months for 2 years.   Sure would love the prayers of all of our  e-mail friends.    Thanks again for a great job.     Allen's wife  Helen Jeffcoat.

Debi Coates

Ben,

My Dad, Staff Sgt. Robert F. West, HDQ 2nd Platoon, read in the January Thunderbolt that the son-in-law of Melvin Scheirs was asking for any information on Melvin Scheirs.  Dad told me he has information about Scheirs but he needs an address to send it to.  Do you know the address or who I can contact to get an address?  Dad thinks the son-in-law lives in Logan Utah.

Debi Coates

Daughter of Robert F. West.

                                                **********

Can any one help Debi?-Ben

Robert Knight

 George Earl Vanderford,  Co. B, 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment.  Service No.34738630.  I know my uncle received the purple heart and the silver star at France in 1944.  Would like to know more about his time in service.  My name is Earl.  I was named after him.  He was an upstanding person til the day he died.  I know he received his purple heart on Jan  23rd 1952.  Do not have record of silver star.  He attacked a german machine gun nest and was wounded.  Would like very much to have copy of silver star award.  Would also like to have picture of his company  if possible.  I am Viet Nam vet.  This would mean so much to me.  My aunt had all his records, but her house burned.  Please advise me, or if you happened to know him or someone who might have would very much appreciate any help.  Robert Earl Knight.

Patricia Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Claire:  Congratulations to you and Helen.  We are so thrilled for you, the men of the 517th PRCT, and the Auxiliary and family members. My excitement on reading this good news propelled a little donation to Karen Frice Wallace for the Auxiliary.   You are outstanding and we are so grateful.  I will let you know when our copy arrives.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Merle McMorrow

Subject: WWII Prison Escape

I guess everyone has seen The Great Escape at least once. This is
about the tunnel.  It is awesome. The interactive map is also
creative, but not nearly as much as the fortitude it took to engineer
the escape itself. The animation alone is worth looking at, but the
story of the tunnel is amazing.

This was the inspiration for the Steve McQueen movie in the 60's.  It
is a fascinating look at a tunnel that was built in a German POW
camp. The tunnel allowed 76 Allied POWs to escape. Check it o ut.
Run your cursor over each number and it will tell you about it. Click
on the link:http://www.kerman94.com/tunnelharry.html

Phil McSpadden

Ben...just received my Spring 2008 issue of The Thunderbolt, and I don't think a professional advertising agency could have done a better job!!!  Claire and Helen are outstanding in everything they do....

Is there anyway we can get a write-in vote to get these two to run our good ole US of A before our politicians, (past ,current and future) destroy it???

Helen and Claire....a big, BIG, BIG, BIG thank you for a job not just 'well done', but Fantastic!

Phil McSpadden

Steve Markle

Ben, I noticed that the information brief that was handed out about the 517 at the Palm Springs reunion (http://517prct.org/overview.html) did not include the information about the Belgium Croix De Guerre. I found this reference;

My dad had one of these items identified as the fourragére in his collection, and we were trying to figure out what it was. Now we know. You may want to include this information with the overview (since the 460th and the 596 were honored with the Belgium Croix De Guerre).

-Steve-

Steve Gomez

Hello Ben,
Hope you had a good time in Palm Springs!

I will be leaving this Tuesday for Italy and will be making a commemorative C47 jump North of Florence next Sunday for the liberation operations of 1943.
There is an interesting YouTube video at...

It was last January in Frederick,OK and I was in the second stick.

AIRBORNE!

Steve Gomez

Jim Royer

Ben, I just told Helen and Claire what a great job they did on this
first issue. It was truly great. June and I read it from cover to cover.
I received it today, the 21st. A true "labor of love."
                                           Jim Royer,Hq. 3rd