From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 7:52 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1530- 517TH PRCT-APRIL 28,2008

You Must empty your Mail Box if it is filled or Mail Call will not get to You.
    (VJacob24 - This member's mailbox is full.
Your mail has not been sent.  Please correct the problems listed and try again.)
Suggestion are welcome as to where to have the 2009 Reunion.  Anyone want to host it. We have the AFR to do the basic work.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:

 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Claire Giblin
Good evening, Ben -

You said it best this evening in Mail Call, and it bears repeating.  The Thunderbolt is making its way across the country to hundreds of post offices.  Some are closer to postal hubs; some are further.  Bulk mail does take longer than regular first class mail, and we appreciate hearing when Thunderbolts arrive in various areas.

Ben suggested giving it another week, and that's probably not a bad idea.  Helen has worked very, very hard on the mailing of the Thunderbolt, and the first mailing has brought a couple of surprises.  We were surprised, for example, that some Florida residents waited longer than New Jersey and Boston residents!  Mailed from Savannah, it's not just a function of distance.  Postal hubs and individual post offices also affect the process, and I think that there are about 400 ZIP codes on the roster.

Meanwhile, we are getting ready to publish the next Thunderbolt!  Please let us know about any suggestions you might have:  clairejgib@patmedia.net or HBeddow@cs.com.

Thanks to all for your patience and support!

Claire Giblin

Michou Yenokida

Hello to Dick Seitz

I am happy to relay your message to my Dad....I have printed and will send to him, in addition to talking to him on the phone.  If he would like to attend, I will be pleased to bring him to the reunion.  I will be in touch.

Michou

Steve Markle

I thought that I would pass on a picture that I have found from the 1990 DC Reunion photo book that may capture who Gene Mars is (see attached).

I only know Gene Mars by the stories that my mom and dad told me about his kindness, generosity, and love for the 517. I hope to someday meet and thank him in person.

-Steve-

Dick Seitz

Ben, please pass to Machou.  My best thanks for your help  All the members of the 517th would be delighted to have you attend with Gene or with out your wonderful Dad.  Chop Chop means so much to me and all the 517th and I pray he will comply with wishes of all the 517th to attend.  Again, my best thanks and warm best wishes.  Airborne.  Dick Seitz
Donald Spears

Ben,
I don't keep track of mail calls by number.  Comcast was having trouble last Thursday.
I did receive 1528.
You do a great job for us.
Donald G. Spears
Marion Hupman

 Ben,
   Could you please help me get in touch with Lory Curtis, I would like information on getting his book
letters home a paratrooper's story. Thank you,
                                                                Marion Hupman
                                                                 Daughter of Frank Hupman 460th C
517 By-Laws   Part 2

Section 4. HONORARY MEMBERS. Honorary membership: The President, with the approval

Section 5. Liability for Association’s Obligations.. Members of the Association shall not be liable for any debts or obligations of the Association and shall not be subject to any assessment therefore. However, Members at any annual meeting or any special meeting called for the purpose may fix reasonable annual dues to become effective after not less than 90 days' notice to all Members of such action.

ARTICLE III. OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS

Section 1. DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS. The Association shall be governed by the Board of Directors, the membership of which shall be composed of 6 (six) Directors, the President and the First and Second Vice Presidents, each of whom shall be elected by majority vote of the Active Members. The Directors shall have, the general direction, control, and management of the activities of the Association. When the Board of Directors is in session, each member shall have one vote and four of the members of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The President shall act as Chairman of the Board. A secretary, a clerk who shall reside in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and a treasurer shall also be elected by majority vote of the Active Members, who with the President and Vice Presidents shall be the officers of the Association (hereinafter called the "Officers"). The board of Directors may, by majority vote, increase the number of vice presidents, who shall, when elected, be members of the Board.

Section 2. TERMS OF OFFICE. The terms of office of the Officers and Directors shall be two (2) years or until their successors have been elected and have taken office. No Director shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. The President and Vice Presidents may serve not more than one consecutive term in each office.

Section 3. REMUNERATION. Each Officer and Director shall serve without remuneration and shall pay his own expenses for attending meetings and otherwise conducting the business of the Association, except for expenses incurred in support of activities authorized by the Board of Directors such as publication and circulation of the Thunderbolt and other activities that support the objectives of the Association.

Section 4. Vacancies.. Any vacancy in the Board of Directors may be filled by vote of a majority of the remaining Directors present at a meeting of Directors at which a quorum is present or by appointment of all of the Directors if less than a quorum shall remain in office.

Section 5. Other Powers and Duties. Each officer shall, subject to these By-Laws, have in addition to the duties and powers specifically set forth in these By-Laws, such duties and powers as are customarily incident to his or her office, and such duties and powers as the Directors may from time to time designate.

Section 6. BOARD MEETINGS. The Board of Directors shall convene during National Reunions and at such other times as the President may direct.

War Years

1945: Mussolini is executed

[Unable to display image]

Italian partisans killed deposed dictator Benito Mussolini and his mistress, Clara Petacci today. Mussolini, who ruled Italy from 1922 to 1943, had been removed from office following the defeat of the Italian army. After his execution, his body was brought to Milan, where he was hung upside down.

On April 30, 1945, The Oakland Tribune reported, "The body of Benito Mussolini swung from its heels against the rusty steel framework of a half-completed gasoline station in the heart of Milan, the object of the vengeful wrath of the Italian people whom he had promised a place in the sun but instead had led to defeat and misery."

NOTE: Following the execution, Mussolini’s body was hung upside down from meathooks at a petrol station, and he was stoned by civilians. His body was then buried in an unmarked grave. Later he was interred at the town of Predappio, his birthplace.