From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:16 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1532- 517TH PRCT-APRIL30, 2008

I can not place in Mail Call  forwarded mail in most instances and especially when order  to do so or something  bad will happen and also when it has been forwarded by many others.. It could pass on a virus.

Some members have a spam protection program that may prevent them from receiving Mail Call. You have to clear it with your provider on your end. I have about 400 addresses and it is too much bother for me to do so.

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Darrell Egner

HOME SWEET HOME:  Boy did it look good after traveling over 5000 miles to the West Coast.  I got home last weekend to 837 E-mails and about 30 pounds of mail.

Helen and Claire you are assume.  Ben Barrett had a copy of the wonderful new Thunderbolt at the West Coast Reunion.  He loaned it to me so I stayed up half the night reading it.  People at the Reunion just about wore it out looking at it as theirs did not arrive yet.  Condensed their comments were WOW!  Thanks Girls for all the time, work and efforts you put in to do a first class publication.  My copy came in while I was on the road so I can't supply a date as requested.  It was mailed to 1234 addresses so please let Helen know if you haven't received your copy in about a week.  Also don't forget to send Leo Dean your dues of $30 which covers the cost ($10) of the Thunderbolt.  If your not a dues paying member send Leo $10 to cover the cost of the publication.

This was my first visit to the West Coast Reunion and believe me I won't miss another.  Bill & Sophie Christian, the hosts, did a wonderful job with the help of the Frice girls, Karen and Robin.  The attendance was 60 people I am told and they all pitched in to help.  The group was made up for the most part by 596 and 460 troopers.  The only ones I knew were Ben Barrett and Leo Dean but before the day was out the group made me felt like I had known them forever.  Thanks Bill and Sophie and all the others.  One of the high lights was going to Parris, Ca.  to watch Leo Dean make his 109th jump.  The video is on Mail Call, it's well worth seeing. Thank you again Bill and Sophie for a wonderful Reunion.

I spent a few days at Chris Lindner's house in San Antonio coming and going and the National Reunion in St. Louis, the last week in June is ready.  Chris and her sister Bev have been working since January and what a job they are doing.  Thanks for all your great work.  We are expecting 400 people so please get your Registrations in to AFR as soon as possible.  If your not sure you are coming please reserve your room ASAP, you can always cancel.  If you are holding off coming due to financial reasons please contact me and we will see if we can find some help for you.  Almost forgot, I went to a Spurs Basketball game with Chris and Rick and I got lucky as they won a playoff game so I had a place to sleep.

I am so proud to be a part of the 517 family, what a great group.

Darrell Egner

Bob Dalrmple

Ben and girls , I rec'd my T-Bolt yesterday . It looks super and I congratulate you two Gals for keeping it alive ( " to fight again "). Bless you for your outstanding, dedicated effort . You are making history . Bob 596th

I have in this Mail Call a poem by Nacho Vasquez from the book "Not Ready To Die" edited by his former wife ,Nila Gott .ngott@neteze.com  A big Story in a little book about a 517 soldier.

 April 30, 1945

1945: Hitler commits suicide

[Unable to display image]

Adolf Hitler and his wife for one day, Eva Braun, committed suicide today. . Early newspaper reports stated Hitler was thought to have been slain by the Russians or to have died of a stroke, but no mention was made of suicide. It was not until almost two months later that newspapers revealed the couple had made a suicide pact.

"Hitler shot himself through the temple, the chauffer said, while Eva Braun sent a bullet through her heart. Both died almost instantly. The source of this information apparently clarifying the mystery of Hitler's end as overlord of Europe was Erich Kempke, his driver since 1936," reported The Port Arthur News on June 21, 1945. "The bodies of Hitler and his bride were taken out into the chancellery garden, Kempke said, soaked with gasoline and burned."

NOTE: Reports revealed that Hitler and his wife shot themselves while simultaneously biting into a cyanide capsule. Though some remains were discovered, many still believe that Hitler may have faked his death and gone into hiding, and that the remains are inauthentic