From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:48 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1533- 517TH PRCT- MAY 1, 2008

I received notice of the death of our friend ,John Alicki, Immediately after sending out Mail Call and so I sent a special Mail Call so that his many friends who have inquired about him, would know of his passing.

I am seeking more information  about Boom Boom. Funeral arrangements, family and other matters.

John experienced the first day of Americas entry into World War II.
He was coming out of a church December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor and viewed  the Japs booming the area.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Lt. John A. "Boom Boom" Alicki HQ

General Dick Seitz

I'm deeply saddened by the news of the passing of John Alicki.  To all of Johns family my heartfelt sympathy.. Our great 517th, and our Nation has lost another warrior, aman who gave to his conrades his unit, his family and his country , without hestitation dedication and loyalty.  John Alicki was a great American, a courageous paratrooper, a respected leader and fine human being,indeed a great man.  John Alicki had a tremendous impact on the quality of the 517th. John was one of the first officers the newly assigned recruits encountered when he arrived at Toccoa.  John met the newly arrival, gave them their first orintation, had them jump out of the mock tower aand decided who failed or went on for addition orientation..  As we all know many, many of those who arrived at Toccoa were eliminated at this point by John Alicki..  Yes, John played an important role in establishing the quality of our great517 and we are all better because of John Alicki.. There is no comfort in my final saluteto a comrade, except to know that John now stands at the right hand of God ready and willing to give to him that which he always gave to his family, his Country,and the 517th, himself.  He was airborne all the way.  Dick Seitz

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer
[...]

Julinia Stonis
Hi Ben,

I just received this sad email.  We are so sorry to hear of John Alicki's passing. Our deepest sympathies to his family.

The John Stonis family
Howard Hensleigh

My hat is off to John Alicki.  He is one of the best.  He will be missed by the troopers.  My best regards to his family.  Howard Hensleigh

Kathy McIntosh

PLEASE GIVE OUR CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY.  HE MET A GREAT DEAL TO MY FATHER, JESSE K DAVIS.  HE WILL MISS HIM GREATLY.
DO YOU HAVE AN ADDRESS FOR HIS FAMILY OR KNOW THE DETAILS FOR THE SERVICES?  REST IN PEACE BOOM BOOM.

THANK YOU
KATHY MCINTOSH
JESSE K DAVIS
Mark Landreth

A GREAT man has made his final jump. He has passed the final inspection. He has been found not lacking for any quality which will endear him to St. Peter and assure his entry into the Promised Land.

May God bless John Alicki and may be with his family in their time of sadness.

Tom Cross

  Ben:
    The passing of John Alicki has a special meaning for the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) as well as for the other units that comprised the 517th PRCT. It was John Alicki who had the first contact with the new arrivals to the 517th and it was he that set the initial standards for the type of individuals that Colonel Lou Walsh desired for the 5i7th PIR.
    Those of us that were the first Officer arrivals at Camp Toccoa, Georgia were interviewed and personally selected by Colonel Louis A. Walsh. Some of us were even assigned prior to attendance and graduation from the Parachute School at Fort Benning, Georgia. What it amounted to was that Colonel Lou Walsh selected the officers for the 517th PIR and  then 1st Lt. John Alicki selected and passed on to the 1st and 2nd Battalion 517th PIR Battalion  Commanders (Dick Seitz and Bill  Boyle) those men coming from US Army Reception Centers who  were then personally interviewed and selected by their respective Battalion Commander. This elite selection process was stopped by higher Headquarters. The 3rd Battalion 517th PIR
received its men from among the graduates of he Parachute School at Fort Benning and then  went through a similar interviewing and selection process  by  Third  Battalion Commander Mel Zais and his Parachute
Company Commanders.
    It all started and ended with John Alicki who set he high standards demanded by Colonel Lou Walsh. I later served with John Alicki  when we were in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC. after the 517th PIR was deactivated. Here again John Alicki demonstrated his outstanding leadership abilities He was an outstanding airborne trooper who left his mark of excellence wherever he went.Few ,if any, airborne troopers then and now can match Johns spirit and devotion to our Airborne Brotherhood.
Tom Cross
George Ross

 To Major John Alicki's Family and Friends, our thoughts and prayers are with you and the Major. The Ross's

Jim Royer

Ben, So very sorry to hear of the passing of Boom Boom Alicki.  What a
wonderful trooper he was. I will never forget our return from the trip
to Europe in '84. My wife, June was in a wheelchair. While going through
customs, a young lady took June and me and began to rush us through
customs. Boom Boom saw us and ask to go with us. The young lady asked
who he was. I said, "He's my brother". The young lady said, "Ok, he may
come with us. John  never forgot that and neither will we.
Our deepest regrets to his family.
                                     Jim  Royer

JOHN F. BUCHALSKI

THANKS FOR YOUR NOTICE ON MY UNCLE MAJ. JOHN A. ALICKI PASSING ON 30
APRIL 08.

JOHN F. BUCHALSKI

Nila Gott

My heart goes out to the Alicki family.  As I worked on their books, I came to know the family and what a wonderful and proud family they are.

Thanks for the putting Nacho's poem in your email.  It always meant a lot to him.

Nila Gott (Vasquez)

Lory and Tim Curtis

Ben,
      Just received the information about Major John Alicki passing.  My brother and I extend our deepest sympathies to the Alicki family and remember what a great man he was.
I remember my Dad talking about John Alicki.  When John Alicki was a Lieutenant he was one of the first men my Dad met as he arrived at Camp Toccoa.  My Dad arrived on the April 15, 1943 about 4:00 a.m.  At 6:00 am the new men were marched off to Chow, and after the meal is when Dad and the others met LT Alicki.  I am sure they must have been in formation when LT Alicki told them how it was going to be in the paratroopers.  My Dad remembered he said,  "IF you think this is bad now it is going to get worse, if you think the Chow was bad, it will get worse.  If you think you can make it through this you won't.  My Dad said Lt Alicki was a rugged man and had a commanding voice, and after his speech many of the men dropped out right there.  Dad next remembered LT Alicki saying, "All right, ya volunteered for parachute duty, now is your chance to prove ya meant it!"  My Dad always had a great respect and pride in knowing John Alicki.  I think because of John Alicki and other men like him is why my Dad made it through the war.  I will always be eternally grateful for men like John Alicki.

Lory and Tim Curtis, sons of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Frank Ramos

Ben:  Please advise me when the ceremony will take place and will try to attend to represent the 517th Auxiliary, if I do not have an existing conflict..

Frank Ramos
Bill Boyle

May he rest in peace. May he help us join him in heaven
for surely he will be there perhaps helping St. Peter
                                      Bill Boyle