From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 8:16 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1534- 517TH PRCT-MAY 2, 2008

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

John Dockery

John Alicki's funeral will be July 9, 2008 at Arlington at 8:30 am.

The obituary is on the website of www. greer-mcelveenfuneralhome.com   .

Ben,

We have made copies of the emails from you for Georgia.  We took them
to her today.
She was very glad to have them.   We will continue to do that for her.
  We are close family friends. John Dockery has been driving John
Alicki to all his appointments to the V.A. Hospital in Asheville for
several years, as well as other medical appointments. John Alicki  is
one of a kind who was always doing special things for others. He was
one of the most cherished members of  Lenoir First Baptist who was
there to listen and offer his advice to all us young people who sought
it. He was a man of great wisdom and loved his country, the military
and all of his friends like you. One year ago today, I took John to his
last Hospice Volunteer Banquet and he was recognized to give his
farewell address  at the Banquet, for which he received a standing
ovation. A moment of silence was observed in his honor at the Hospice
Volunteer Banquet tonight, May 1, 2008. Feel free to send this message
to the other paratroopers.
Take care and thanks for being John Alicki's friend and colleague.
John Y. Dockery, Lenoir, N.C.

John A. Alicki
(January 12, 1917 - April 30, 2008)

John Aloysious Alicki, age 91, of Roberts Lane, Lenoir, NC, died Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at Caldwell Hospice and Palliative Care. He was born January 12, 1917 in Lackawanna County, Scranton, PA to the late Alexander Lawrence and Anna Wrobleska Alicki.  In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers, Anthony Michael Alicki of Chico, CA and Stanley Alicki of Brooklyn, NY; and one sister Anne Kuezinski of Baltimore, MD.

Mr. Alicki was a retired Major of the United States Army and a personnel executive for Hammary Furniture, U.S. Industries Incorporated. He was a member of First Baptist Church of Lenoir and was a volunteer with Caldwell Hospice and Palliative Care for 18 years.

He was a highly decorated U.S. Army Airborne paratrooper and veteran of Pearl Harbor, World War II and Korean War.

Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Georgia Sullivan Alicki of the home; one daughter, Mrs. Alicia A. Burin and husband Michael Thomas Burin of Aurora, Ohio; one grandson, Michael Andrew Burin of Aurora, Ohio; and two nieces and one nephew of Brooklyn, NY.

A memorial service and interment with honors will be conducted at a later date, at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA. There will be no local services.

Memorial contributions may be made to: Caldwell Hospice and Palliative Care, 902 Kirkwood St., Lenoir, NC 28645 or First Baptist Church, 304 Main St., NW, Lenoir, NC 28645.

Online condolences may be left at www.greer-mcelveenfuneralhome.com.

Greer-McElveen Funeral Home and Crematory is in charge of arrangements.

Trooper Walsh

On behalf of my Father the first CO of the 517th, Lt. Col. Louis A. Walsh
Jr. (Maj. Gen., Retired), I would like to offer one final snappy, stiff
armed salute, and job well done, to Major John Alicki.

From the rest of my family and myself, I offer our most sincere
sympathies and condolences to Major Alicki's family and friends for your
great loss and in this time of sorrow.  We wish you many memories of the
happy times you shared together, and meaning for those hard times which
make the happy ones what they are.  We also offer you our prayers that
God Himself would reach out to comfort and encourage all of you through
His love and grace, and that you would take solace in the knowledge John
Alicki will one day welcome you back together at the Table of the Great
Feast along with our Heavenly Father after all else is said and done.

Respectfully,

Trooper Walsh / Son of Major General Louis A. Walsh Jr.

Merle W. Mc Morrow

My sympathy to John Alicki's family.  John was my first contact as I stepped off the train in Camp Toccoa in April 1943.  That contact is as vivid today as if it had happened yesterday.  He had a commanding bearing and I decided then that if he was an example of what paratroopers were like I would be joining the right branch of service.  Regardless of what he did in the following hours I was determined he was not going to get me to consider the OUT Platoon. I would have gone out that mock-up tower without a harness attached to the cable.

Many today are still among the living because of the training received under John prior to leaving for overseas.  May he rest in peace.

                                                         Merle W. Mc Morrow

Bob Cooper

May I Meet Lt. Alicki again some day the way I did at Toccoa.  I knew I was in the army. I am proud to have served in the same outfit as he.
I also served in one of his Demolition classes at Fort Bragg
Airborne all the Way

Robert R, Cooper D. CO.
Christopher M. Alicki
Hi,

My name is Christopher Alicki I'm the great grandnephew of Major John "Boom Boom" Alicki. I'm sure you that are aware or not of his passing on April 30th. I'm not sure if you want to update your site. We will miss him dearly.

Regards,

Christopher M. Alicki

Irma and Arnold Targnion

Dear friends of 517th assoc.
Thank you very much for the issue of the "Thunderbolt". Congratulations to Claire and Helen, those  so devoted Ladies. We keep all the issues of the Thunderbolt and very often we read the old copies made by Bill Lewis, Merle Mc Morrow and Bob Christie, so with all the letters, messages, mails and pictures, we can remember our dear friends of America and the wonderful moments we spent together. On Saturday, May 3, here in Trois-Ponts, Father Radermecker will celebrate a Mass for all the soldiers who died for our freedom and we shall have special prayers for our american liberators. On May 8th, memorial day in this area, a big pelgrim will take place to pay homage to all the monuments with flowers and national anthems. The Memorial Day in Henri-Chapelle Cemetery is on May 24th and Bastogne on May 30th. With Maria and members of our Committee, we shall attend all the ceremonies. Our sincere condolences to you as you lost your dear comrade, John Alicki. Our Love to all of you, have a nice spring and a wonderful reunion in St Louis. Maria, Arnold and Irma.
Bob Dalrymple

Ben , I didn't know John well, but his presence at Toccoa was overwhelming . May this great warrior rest in peace . Bob

Darrell Egner

To John Alicki's family please except my sympathy for your loss. That great man is now in Heaven.  I will ask Dick Seitz to remember him at our Reunion in St. Louis.  Knowing Dick I am sure I won't have to ask.

The day after I arrived in Toccoa from Minnesota I stepped off the train and saw the red mud (it was raining) and I turned to my buddy and said we goofed, look at all the blood on the ground.  The next day John gave his famous talk.  At that point I said heck he wants to get rid of all of us, at least that was my thought at the time.

Then it was time to clime up on the Mock Tower and jump off.  My Buddy that talked me into joining the Paratroops refused to jump.  Frankly I treated it as if I was in an amusement park and enjoyed the ride.  At that point I felt that the Major was not such a tough guy.  Boy was I ever wrong.  He was right about one thing for sure as each day got worse after that.

Major John Alicki was a great solider and a great man.

Darrell Egner