From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1536-517TH PRCT-MAY 4,2008

I will attempt to  include newspaper articles from the war years in "Mail Call" on slow mail days.

Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Lt. John "Boom Boom" Alicki, Reg. HQ

Lester Gene Hyman and friends, 596th PCEC

Lots of pictures of the 596th, most unidentified soldiers

517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast - May 19 1945

Dick Seitz

For Gene Brissey,  Gene , I'm so sorry to hear about your eye sight,  Hope it is only temporary and you are on the road to recovery.  With profound admiration for you as an outstanding trooper in E company.  Airborne all the way! Dick Seitz

Steve Markle

Hyman
Subject: Pictures from Palm Springs 2008

I have completed an upload of a  sampling of all of the pictures that we (My brothers, Glenn and Jerry, and myself) captured during this past weeks 517 reunion in Palm Springs. Also posted are a few pictures provided by Karen Frice of the Women's "Business" Meeting.

The pictures start here;

http://markleweb.com/gallery/v/wwii/reunion/2008PalmSprings/

..I have a separate album/folder dedicated to the troopers that attended here;

http://markleweb.com/gallery/v/wwii/reunion/2008PalmSprings/troopers/

(the 1st picture/Link on the top level). I made it a point to get individual pictures of all of the troopers that attended and made sure that I wrote down all of the names. I wasn't able to do that with everyone that attended, but we did manage to grab a lot of smiles.

It was a really FUN trip.

-Steve-

Tom McAvoy

As General George S. Patten once said, "Where does America get such men??"  We should not greive at there passing but "Thank God they came along when they did"?? Rest in Peace Old Friend  Tom McAvoy

1945

May 1, 1945

1945: Hitler commits suicide

[Unable to display image]

Adolf Hitler and his wife for one day, Eva Braun, committed suicide today. . Early newspaper reports stated Hitler was thought to have been slain by the Russians or to have died of a stroke, but no mention was made of suicide. It was not until almost two months later that newspapers revealed the couple had made a suicide pact.

"Hitler shot himself through the temple, the chauffer said, while Eva Braun sent a bullet through her heart. Both died almost instantly. The source of this information apparently clarifying the mystery of Hitler's end as overlord of Europe was Erich Kempke, his driver since 1936," reported The Port Arthur News on June 21, 1945. "The bodies of Hitler and his bride were taken out into the chancellery garden, Kempke said, soaked with gasoline and burned."

NOTE: Reports revealed that Hitler and his wife shot themselves while simultaneously biting into a cyanide capsule. Though some remains were discovered, many still believe that Hitler may have faked his death and gone into hiding, and that the remains are inauthentic.