From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:14 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1537- 517TH PRCT- MAY 8, 2008

Sign up today for National Reunion. Only 48 days until we will be in St, Louis.

 Please let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

  Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls  by clicking www.517prct.org/archives

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Major John "Boom Boom" Alicki, Reg. HQ

Leo Dean's 109th jump at the Palm Springs Reunion

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Elaine

Hello Ben,

Since I've been searching several years for my uncle, Bob Magnuson (H Co), I was surprised to see his name in the list of those passed in yesterday's Mail Call.   If someone has more information I'd like to be contacted directly via email joe.elaine@sbcglobal.net.

I'll send Morris a portrait taken of him in Nice in 1943, probably around the time of his 20th birthday.   Except for a couple portraits and snaps of him in uniform at home in Seattle, all of his WWII photos in my possession have been posted on the 517th site.

Thank you,
Elaine
 Gene Brissey

Gene Brissey
     Again I extend my sympathy to the Alicki family, although I didn't know John until Mail Call brought him into my life. From the many notes about him it is obvious that he was an outstanding man. I came into the 517th quite late and my first friends or buddies were Tom Cross, C.B. Jones, Ray Helms, Roger Bender, John Krumm and other company E men and of course the one and only Dick Seitz. He deserved to come out a General. Thank you, Dick, for the nice things you have said about E. CO. and other 517th troopers.
Gene

Mary Jane Hanron
Hi Ben,

This is so beautiful I wanted to share it with you. I love it especially as it is sung in the voices of children. This isn’t necessarily for Mail Call… but if you wish to share it, please do. I mostly wanted to be sure you had an opportunity to enjoy it!

Take Care,

Mary Jane

Power Line: Patriotism: Not Quite Dead in the Public Schools

 Bill Christian

http://www.managedmusic.com:80/Music/PlayBeforeYouGo.php

 May 8, 1945                           1945: V-E Day is declared

President Truman declared victory in Europe today, celebrating the defeat of Nazi Germany. "Combat  troops received the news with stony apathy. There is still a war going on in the Pacific and they knew, and they only hoped the folks at home remembered, that Americans are fighting in Asia at this epochal moment of victory," informed The Lowell Sun on May 8, 1945. Truman also emphasized that the task to conquer Japan was still ahead. In his V-E proclamation, he said "our blows will continue until the Japanese lay down their arms in unconditional surrender."

                                     517 By- Laws  Page 3

ARTICLE IV. NATIONAL REUNIONS

National reunions shall be held at intervals, times, and places determined by a majority vote of the Active Members attending the National Reunion.

ARTICLE V. ELECTIONS AND VACANCIES

Section 1. ELECTIONS AND DECISIONS. The Officers and Directors shall be elected, and decisions of the Association shall be decided, by a majority vote of the Active Members attending the general Membership Business Meeting at the National Reunion or as prescribed in Article XI and XII.

Section 2. FILLING VACANCIES. In the event a vacancy occurs in the office of the President, the Vice President shall succeed to that office for the unexpired portion of the term.

Section 3. APPOINTMENTS. A vacancy in the office of the Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, or Director shall be filled for the unexpired term by appointment by the Board of Directors.

ARTICLE VI. FUNDS AND PROPERTY

Section 1. FUNDS. The Association Fund shall consist of monetary assets derived from voluntary contributions from the members and from such other sources as may be approved by the Board of Directors.

Section 2. ACQUISITION AND DISPOSITION. The acquisition and disposition of the Association Fund and property shall be subject to authorization and approval by the Board of Directors.

ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENT

Section 1. VOTE. Except as provided in Article XI, the By-Laws may be amended only by a majority vote of the Active Members at the General Membership Business Meeting at the National Reunion.

Section 2. NOTICE. No proposal for amending the By-Laws shall be considered unless the text of the proposed amendment has been published in the Association’s quarterly newsletter, the Thunderbolt, not less than 90 days prior to the National Reunion Business Meeting. This restriction may be waived by a two thirds vote of the Active Members at the National Reunion Business Meeting.