From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:51 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1544- 517TH PRCT- MAY 15, 2008

Sign up today for National Reunion. Only 42 days until we will be in St, Louis.  Registrations have pickup in the past few days

Ben

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29

Information and Registration Forms:
 formatted pdf forms simple Web Page format
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form
Sheraton Westport Registration Form
Reunion schedule of Events
517th Reunion Registration Form

Recent website additions:

Major John "Boom Boom" Alicki, Reg. HQ

Leo Dean's 109th jump at the Palm Springs Reunion

Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Richard Hammel

             Sorry I will not be able to make the reunion as I have a few problems and ny wife Edna cannot travel at all and she cannot stay by herself .  For the DC  reunion had a daughter able to stay with her and a son in-law available to get me to the reunion.  They are not available this year.
                       Richard L Hammel   Co E  and HQ 2
PSS    I was of the few men that entered the 517 as a private and left it with the same rank.  In between  I had been promoted and reduced.  Retired after 22 years as a Major and made my last jump  three months before I retired at McDil, Florida.

Lory Curtis

Ben,
    I received this from a long time Army buddy.  It was my fortune to serve this great country in the military for 27 years.  It really describes how we as military men (and I am sure military women)  feel.  I think it epitomizes the esprit de corps that the 517th still has today.  I know my Dad had it.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

When a good Veteran leaves the "job" and retires to a better life, many
are jealous, some are pleased and others, who may have already retired,
wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few
experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

We know in the Military Life there is a fellowship which lasts long
after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet..  We know even
if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath
that remains in his life.  We also know how the very bearing of the man
speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job.  You will still look at people
suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and
always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for
what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life.  You are
only escaping a "job" and merely being allowed to leave "active" duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in
your heart you never forget for one moment that "Blessed are the
Peacemkers for they shall be called children of God," and you are still
a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

Civilian Friends vs. Veteran Friends

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Get upset if you're too busy to talk to them for a
week.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Are glad to see you after years, and will happily
carry on the same conversation you were having the last time you met.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Have never seen you cry.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Have cried with you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Keep your stuff so long they forget it's yours.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Know a few things about you.
VETER AN FRIENDS:  Could write a book with direct quotes from you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is
doing.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Will kick the crowds' ass that left you behind.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Are for a while.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Are for a lifetime.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Have shared a few experiences...
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Have shared a lifetime of experiences no citizen could
ever dream of...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will take your drink away when they think you've had
enough.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Will look at you stumbling all over the place and say,
"You better drink the rest of  that before you spill it!"  Then  carry
you home safely and put you to bed ...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will talk crap to the person who talks crap about
you.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Will knock the hell out of them --- for using your
name in vain.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will ignore this.
VETERAN FRIENDS:  Will forward this.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve -
is someone who, at one point in their , wrote a blank check made payable
to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including
my life."

From one Veteran to another, it's an honor to be in your Company.  Thank
you Veteran!

Jerry Wolfford

During my time in the military while stationed in Germany I made a visit to one of the infamous Nazi Concentration Camps near by. The name of the camp is Dachau and my visit came in 1969 a mere 24 years after they were discovered and closed down. I was appalled by what I saw. The entire compound had been turned into a museum by Holocaust Survivors Groups and the buildings walls are covered with larger than life photos of the people and what happened to them during their imprisonment. The ovens are still there as well as the gas chambers. In fact I have a photo of myself standing in front of one of those cremation ovens. It was real and it won't go away unless we let it.                                                        Jerry Wofford
Links to the Past  -1942  The War Years

1942: Gas rationing goes into effect

In order to aid in the war effort, the United States began rationing gasoline today in 17 states along the East coast. "New Yorkers already were shopping for new ways to get around, and it appeared likely that more and more bicycles and even roller-skates would be put to use," informed The Galveston Daily News on May 16, 1942. "From all parts of the area affected by rationing, which went into effect at 12:01 a.m. [yesterday], came reports that gasoline pumps were running dry, partly as a result of a last-minute rush by motorists to stock up before the restrictions went into effect."